Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HELP! Nvidia 560 Ti won't detect...

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 13, 2012 5:25:07 AM

Hi, I'm trying to build my fist computer and I'm having some serious video card issues. I can't get my nvidia 560 ti video card to detect. At first I couldn't even get the fan to run but I clicked the clear CMOS switch and now the fan is running at full blast (it's really really loud? my wife thought I started the dishwasher...). I'm running a new 550 W PSU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). I've read the other post that the PSU could be the issue but I have more power than the other post. Please let me know if you have any idea what the problem could be. The explain it like I'm 8 years old would be nice too...

More about : nvidia 560 detect

June 13, 2012 5:28:38 AM

sbwamers said:
Hi, I'm trying to build my fist computer and I'm having some serious video card issues. I can't get my nvidia 560 ti video card to detect. At first I couldn't even get the fan to run but I clicked the clear CMOS switch and now the fan is running at full blast (it's really really loud? my wife thought I started the dishwasher...). I'm running a new 550 W PSU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). I've read the other post that the PSU could be the issue but I have more power than the other post. Please let me know if you have any idea what the problem could be. The explain it like I'm 8 years old would be nice too...


Have you already installed the driver disk that came with the card? Also, just to be sure, install the latest firmware for your particular series directly from the nvidia website to be sure it's the most up-to-date driver. If that still doesn't work, try opening up device manager, go under display adapters, and uninstall. Restart your computer and see if the computer will then recognize the card. Good luck man! Let me know if you get it up and running.

EDIT: Also, make sure you have the PCIE-connectors, the 6-pin cables, fully inserted into the card. The 550watt is more than enough to run a single 560ti.
m
0
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 13, 2012 5:29:16 AM

Make sure your graphics card is installed properly.
Also, make sure you have the correct drivers.
Click on this link and click on Auto-Detect Your GPU
http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Download the correct driver and install it. And then restart the computer.

If that doesn't work. You can also try another slot that looks like the one that your card is in.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 13, 2012 5:33:14 AM

I tried running the driver both from the website and from the CD it came with. It keeps giving me the error that "this graphic driver could not find compatible graphic hardware"... I've also tried the other slot... nothing really changes...
m
0
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 13, 2012 5:35:01 AM

Try the card in another slot. Make sure computer is turned off when you do this.
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 5:40:29 AM

This probably isn't the issue, but just to eliminate this as a probable cause, did you happen to touch the back of the card while standing on carpet or while not properly grounded? (ie anti-static wrist strap, or touching the metal on the case to remove static electricity)

EDIT: Also, is there any other computer that you could test the card on to make sure it's not defective? If not, you can probably take it to a local computer shop (Best Buy if you're in the US) and let them test it out. They probably wouldn't charge anything, unless they're complete jerks.
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 5:41:49 AM

Keanu Reeves said:
Have you already installed the driver disk that came with the card? Also, just to be sure, install the latest firmware for your particular series directly from the nvidia website to be sure it's the most up-to-date driver. If that still doesn't work, try opening up device manager, go under display adapters, and uninstall. Restart your computer and see if the computer will then recognize the card. Good luck man! Let me know if you get it up and running.

EDIT: Also, make sure you have the PCIE-connectors, the 6-pin cables, fully inserted into the card. The 550watt is more than enough to run a single 560ti.


Any idea how to manually install the driver? I uninstalled the the current VGA in the device manger, got nothing. when I restarted the fan is no longer blowing so I'm assuming it's not even getting power. I have the 8pin PCI express plugged in. double checked it was fully seated. Thanks for your help by the way...
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 5:45:11 AM

Keanu Reeves said:
This probably isn't the issue, but just to eliminate this as a probable cause, did you happen to touch the back of the card while standing on carpet or while not properly grounded? (ie anti-static wrist strap, or touching the metal on the case to remove static electricity)

EDIT: Also, is there any other computer that you could test the card on to make sure it's not defective? If not, you can probably take it to a local computer shop (Best Buy if you're in the US) and let them test it out. They probably wouldn't charge anything, unless they're complete jerks.


I live in a super dry place so I've been pretty anal about wearing the wrist strap and working on a wood surface. good idea I'll take it to best buy to test. I also saw it could be the motherboard. anyway to test that?
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 5:45:12 AM

This is probably a completely stupid question, and I'm not trying to sound like a dick at all, but did you plug in both PCIE-connectors? 560tis should require two 6-pins. Does the computer recognize the card in the device manager when you boot back up?

It would be tough to test the mobo, specifically the pci-e slots without having another card handy to plug in and see if you still run into issues.
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 6:02:36 AM

Keanu Reeves said:
This is probably a completely stupid question, and I'm not trying to sound like a dick at all, but did you plug in both PCIE-connectors? 560tis should require two 6-pins. Does the computer recognize the card in the device manager when you boot back up?

It would be tough to test the mobo, specifically the pci-e slots without having another card handy to plug in and see if you still run into issues.


I've got an eight pin and a six pin slot. I've tried tried pretty much every combination (8-pin, 6-pin, two 6-pins in a 8 pin adapter, and 8 pin and 6 pin at the same time).

In the device manager, under other devices it's seeing a PCI simple communication controller and a unknown device I'm assuming one of those is the video card. I tried to associate a driver to both of them but couldn't find a file windows would accept.
m
0
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 13, 2012 6:07:08 AM

Can you tell me what brand GTX 560 ti you have?
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 6:09:42 AM

EVGA 012-P3-2078-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 448 Cores (Fermi) Classified Ultra 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 6:10:12 AM

You'll definitely need both cables, the 8pin and 6pin, plugged in at the same time, but it's strange that it's not showing up. I know it sucks to have to wait a bit longer, but I would definitely take it to a Best Buy or similar store to have them check the card out for you to make sure it's working properly. I'm sure there's somebody else on the boards that can think of something I'm blanking on, but that's what I would do at this point. Sorry man. Post back ASAP, and let me know if you get it working.
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 6:12:48 AM

Will do. Thanks for your help. I wasn't expecting replies to fly back at me so fast...
m
0
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 13, 2012 6:13:12 AM

+1^

Correct, you need to use the 8pin and 6pin together.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 13, 2012 6:16:32 AM

there are three possible reasons
1. Faulty PSU
2. Faulty Mobo
3. Faulty GPU
it would be best if you could test out the specific components on a different computer
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 6:29:21 AM

sbwamers said:
Will do. Thanks for your help. I wasn't expecting replies to fly back at me so fast...


No problem at all. Happy to help.
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 7:02:32 AM

***Scroll To Bottom if Performing these Steps makes you uneasy and just email me your system specs. This type of Job isn't a valid Remote In Job. I will be happy to help you via IM (Instant Messaging + Email + This Thread or Another Thread of your choice right here).***

Please Note: Crucial Steps Are Marked with *** ***.

***First Before you try anything please verify your Video Card Settings in your bios are set to the correct type of card. If it is PCI Express then instead of selecting onboard select that or if it is PCI standard or AGP respective to what ever card connection type your card supports.***

This will probably fix the issue and you may allow windows to pick up the driver right off the bat and install it using the driver installation wizard in windows if your running XP or later.

-I do believe your PSU is probably fine unless your computer shuts off by itself while it has been on for long periods of time sitting idle. Keep in mind to check the light on the power button on the tower to be sure. If it is orange or yellow it is just hibernating and it is pefectly normal.

-Monitor that by leaving it on for around 4 hours. If it stays on then your PSU is probably just fine. Also Check first to make sure your CPU Heatsink and Fan 3 or 4 pin plug is fully seated. Be careful and don't force it. It should slide right in. Also do the same for any case fans you may have.

Then in the following order do these things:

If your PC is dusty and it probably isn't being it is a new board dust it out with Compressed Air.

Next Going Forward: You may want to look in the bios setting at the Power Supply and make sure your voltage readings our correct. If there atleast .4 or .5 in increments off then your probably not getting an adequate amount of juice to the board.

If Your voltage readings our fine then move forward and if not replace with an Antec Earthwatts 500 Watt PSU from newegg.com or another compatible PSU.

***~Then Test your Graphics card out on another Desktop PC assuming you are building a Desktop~***

Results:

If it works fine after installing the correct licensed driver from the manufacturer's website or nvidia.com on the other ***perfect working machine*** then you have a faulty PCI or PCI-E System bus and will need to replace your system board.

~The PSU is not the root of your Graphics card problem. It has nothing to do with it and may or may not be an existing seperate issue. The only way it could be the PSU is if it weren't supplying enough power to that subsection bus system of the Computer.~

***Qualifying Questions: Is all of your memory registering?***

What are your complete system specs. Please send them in image format by following these exact steps:

Click your Start button or Windows Icon Start Orb on the bottom left hand corner of the screen. Click on Control Panel on the Right Hand Pane of the Entire Start menu or Settings and Control Panel if your running XP with Service Pack 2 or 1 or before.

Double Click on the System Icon in Classic View or System and Maintenance then directly on System in Normal view provided your running Vista or 7.

Then Click on or verify that the General Tab is Selected.

Maximize the screen with the top right hand corner tiny box icon.

Hit the Print Screen Button along the top row of your keyboard towards the far right side.

Open up Microsoft Paint.

In MS Paint left click the mouse and place the cursor in the top left hand corner of the white space.

Hold Down the Ctrl (Control Key) and press the V Letter Key.

Then Click on the File link from the menu and in the Drop down box hit Save or Save As either one.

In the Dialogue Box beside Filename type ">"Your Tom's Hardware Username'> Sys_Specs.jpg" or something very similar.

Click Save or Ok button whichever shows up.

Then Email me the image as an attached file.

My Email Address will be sent to you as a PM.

Hope This Helps...

:) 





m
0
l
June 13, 2012 7:15:24 AM

Your obviously Getting Video from the onboard Graphics Chip based on your earlier comments and no mention by you of no video. I would just about bet money that your bios settings are simply misconfigured. Somehow they did not automatically switch over when you installed the card. Please switch to PCI-E. I

have had this problem before and got no video whatsoever. This may be causing the drivers not to pick up automatically in Win XP or later. I believe also now your motherboard is fine. It would be rare just One section of the mobo failed and the other sections didn't completly fry or burn out.

Your computer will usually not turn on if it is a complete Mainboard Failure. It honestly sounds like it may be a cooling problem that is causing the PC not to turn on and the fans not to run. Check your Hardware Temperature Monitor Settings in your bios and make sure it is not running above 135 degrees Farenheight provided your in the US.

This may be true based on your enviroment alone. You need to run PC's in very cool enviroments for best performance and the PC life cycle. Provided the card is fine then you just need to reload the OS.

If it doesn't detect the full amount of memory in your OS (Windows Operating System) and it does show up in bios then I would reload your OS. Make sure you back up any pertinent data and then do a full format if your loading XP. Otherwise surely one of the other steps will resolve your issue completly.

m
0
l
June 13, 2012 7:17:30 AM

Be very Careful with Your Bios Settings. Please Don't Change anything not specifically described in my earlier post or another experienced techs post until you are absolutly positive you know how it will affect the PC.
m
0
l
!