Sign in with
Your question

HELP..Urgent...GPU Came Out While Applying Thermal Compund

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 13, 2012 5:27:37 AM

hello Everyone need help....My zotac Gtx 460 was overheating so thought of applying Thermal paste...when i opened all screws and removed the case...the Gpu Processor siver colour came out attached to heatsink...HELP ASAP...Thanks
June 13, 2012 5:38:01 AM

Silver means it is the colour of gpu the processor on which usually the Thermal Compund is applied...that only came out sticking to the heatsink..!!!
m
l
June 13, 2012 5:47:09 AM

no..i haven't lost any colour the Whole Gpu came out of the bored....Wait i will upload a Pic

Thanks For Reply...:) 
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 13, 2012 5:52:06 AM

His physical GPU came off when he removed the HSF im assuming. Nothing you can do about that if thats the case.
m
l
June 13, 2012 6:23:52 AM

here is the Picture

any help...??...:( 
m
l
June 13, 2012 6:42:24 AM

You should heat up the HSF first before remove it (by hair dryer, etc).
Maybe thermal adhesive can help to stick it back ?
m
l
a c 201 U Graphics card
June 13, 2012 6:44:26 AM

looks to be normal for that card.if it is the heat sink it looks like it was keept on by the 6 screws in the photos. if there not pins on the back side. ie a heat sink...i would put it back together the way it was...
m
l
June 13, 2012 6:47:20 AM

Do they do the same solder job with GPU heat spreaders as they do with CPU heat spreaders (with the exception of Ivy Bridge). The fact that it came off might be why it was over heating to start with.

You may need to apply some thermal paste to the GPU then put that silver part you have (the heat spreader) back onto the actual GPU, Then apply thermal compound on top of that and replace your heat sink/fan assembly on top of it all.

If someone would like to confirm or deny my suggestion it would be A help :p 

-Hams
m
l
June 13, 2012 6:55:08 AM

I would call the plate sticked to the chip heat spreader (correct me if I'm wrong). HSF is heatsink+fan that cools the heat spreader of the chip. Usually the thermal compound becomes very sticky and when you take out the hsf the plate (heat spreader) or even the chip sticked to it. (sorry for my poor english, I'm indonesian).
m
l
June 13, 2012 7:41:17 AM

we_san@ So should i apply Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive on the sides and stick the sliver plate on it...what should i apply on the middle Black thing on the pcb...when i cleaned it its look like a mirror...waiting for ur reply...thanks

@sushant2688.....lol...i applied thermal paste and put the screws on...the GPU is running at idle temperature 75 degree celcius....but when i try tho play game...it reached 102 degree and pc shuts down...usually because of over heating..
m
l
June 13, 2012 7:52:53 AM

ok...i will try it and reply...thanks....
m
l
June 13, 2012 7:59:26 AM

@Sushant2688 i already applied thermal paste on black chip and the GPU was running but when the load is applied while game...its overheats and shut down
m
l
June 13, 2012 8:04:04 AM

yeahhh its looking like tht RIP..:( 
m
l
June 13, 2012 8:14:18 AM

I know this sounds like a really silly question, but you DID put the heatsink (not the silver chip, the one with fins that's stuck onto the card itself) back onto the card right?
m
l
June 13, 2012 8:14:42 AM

Which arctic silver ? Use the best one. Last bet is underclocking and undervolting if possible.
m
l
June 13, 2012 8:19:21 AM

take out the heat spreader again and see if the thermal paste u put between the gpu and the heat spreader actually spreaded. if it didnt, there probably isnt good contact between the gpu and the heat spreader.. apply thermal paste again(not metal based) and reseat it. if it still overheats again, rma it and pray that they give u a new one, if warrentys over or they dont give u a replacement, and nothings working try and seat the hsf straight on the gpu and hope for the best :p 
m
l
June 13, 2012 9:01:28 AM

@harsh60 iam not overclocking it....i will try putting thermal paste as well on heatsink one Last Time...!!

@jackson yeah i put heatsink back

@sushant thanks bro...but iam not a great fan of ATI GPU...i will go for Gtx 560 TI
m
l
June 13, 2012 9:23:23 AM

If you take off the heat spreader again (the silver thing) and the paste doesn't look spread around or if it looks really thick on the black part in the center (the Die) You might want to try the below steps.

You might need to get rid of those old black strips and they may be acting as spacers keeping the heat spreader from contacting the die completely. If you can get those of in some careful manner. you might have better results.

If you can get them off, put some non metal based paste on the die (black part in the center) then place the head spreader back on top. Before assembling it all back together take it back off and see if it spread the paste you put there around.

If it did then place the heat spreader back on top of the die. Then put arctic silver on top of the silver plate and reinstall the whole heat sink and Fan structure. Cross your fingers and run a stress test)

If it doesn't work there may be no helping it, Running the core undervolted and underclocked might work with fan on full but it really points towards a defective/damaged GPU.

Good Luck and I hope you can afford or wait for a Kepler based GPU be it by borrowing a lower class gpu or something.

-Hams
m
l
June 13, 2012 10:13:01 AM

tried everything....not working.....

@Sushant 660 TI will be above 20K...thts too much for me
m
l
June 13, 2012 10:22:04 AM

Like I said in my Post if all of that doesn't change anything try putting it together really well and try an RMA and hope they don't look too closely :p  I haven't worked with Zotac for an RMA But you won't know till you try and what do you have to lose (about $15 depending on you shipping method)

Good Luck

-Hams
m
l
June 14, 2012 12:42:44 AM

Ok. I saw this thread last night and i was wondering if you could fix it, this never happen to me before but i found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=828wC9Lzxh0 it has everything you need to be able to fix it hopefully, just in case be sure to read the text pop ups where he tells you not to put glue on it, just to clean the old black paste on the sides of the chip for better contact.

Wish you luck.
m
l
!