Reinstalling the network

BP

I had to replace my mainboard and did a repair install of windows xp. The
onboard LAN was replace with a LAN card on this new board. Now my 2 computer
LAN is gummed up. I ran the Network wizard and it enabled the card but it
can't find the other computer, previously set up. Do I need to set up the
other (W98) computer again too?
Just in case: Can anyone point me to a step-by-step to reinstall the
network? Thanks.

Make sure they are both in the same Workgroup.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"BP" <replytoall@only.net> wrote in message
>I had to replace my mainboard and did a repair install of windows xp. The
>onboard LAN was replace with a LAN card on this new board. Now my 2
>computer LAN is gummed up. I ran the Network wizard and it enabled the card
>but it can't find the other computer, previously set up. Do I need to set
>up the other (W98) computer again too?
> Just in case: Can anyone point me to a step-by-step to reinstall the
> network? Thanks.

BP

Yes they are. And the cables are connected too!
I've run down the checklist for a basic network setup and all "should be" in
order. This goes beyond the typical network queries.
One curiosity: I attempted to set a static IP address for the serving client
so I could try to ping the other box (they don't ping each other) and I got
a message telling me that my old onboard LAN connection was using that
address and there could be problems if 2 connections were using the same
address. The old MB is gone and so is the LAN connection and nothing shows
in device manager except the existing 2 cards. Could there be registry
key(s) that need to be deleted?

> Make sure they are both in the same Workgroup.
> --
> Cari
> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>
> "BP" <replytoall@only.net> wrote in message
>>I had to replace my mainboard and did a repair install of windows xp. The
>>onboard LAN was replace with a LAN card on this new board. Now my 2
>>computer LAN is gummed up. I ran the Network wizard and it enabled the
>>card but it can't find the other computer, previously set up. Do I need to
>>set up the other (W98) computer again too?
>> Just in case: Can anyone point me to a step-by-step to reinstall the
>> network? Thanks.

BP,
Out of curiosity, did you install the drivers for the new LAN card? Make
sure you installed the right drivers for the OS that you are running on that
PC.

If the drivers did not come with the card, you may need to go to the
manufacture's website and download the drivers you need for the LAN card.

--

Click on Link to Add MS to your News Reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com
Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

Yes they are. And the cables are connected too!
I've run down the checklist for a basic network setup and all "should be" in
order. This goes beyond the typical network queries.
One curiosity: I attempted to set a static IP address for the serving client
so I could try to ping the other box (they don't ping each other) and I got
a message telling me that my old onboard LAN connection was using that
address and there could be problems if 2 connections were using the same
address. The old MB is gone and so is the LAN connection and nothing shows
in device manager except the existing 2 cards. Could there be registry
key(s) that need to be deleted?

"> "BP" <replytoall@only.net> wrote in message
>>I had to replace my mainboard and did a repair install of windows xp. The
>>onboard LAN was replace with a LAN card on this new board. Now my 2
>>computer LAN is gummed up. I ran the Network wizard and it enabled the
>>card but it can't find the other computer, previously set up. Do I need to
>>set up the other (W98) computer again too?
>> Just in case: Can anyone point me to a step-by-step to reinstall the
>> network? Thanks.

BP

Well actually, I can't answer that one. I had the MB and new card installed
at a local shop. Device manager shows a driver for the 3com card as
Microsoft v4.5.0.0, so it would seem that it is the generic windows driver.
Does the problem sound like a driver issue? I'm going to attack this thing
this weekend. I'll check for 3Com drivers.