Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU upgrade help

Last response: in CPUs
December 18, 2012 12:28:33 PM

Hello,

I need some advice on my current desktop setup. I have been playing SWTOR and I'm noticing that the game is rather choppy when playing on any settings above medium, and even on medium there is slight lag from time to time. I am pretty sure most of my hardware is good enough to run the game on high settings, but I'm beginning to think my CPU is too outdated. If this is the case, I'm wondering whether I would need to upgrade my motherboard as well since it is pretty old. Here are my specs:

Intel pentium D 3.0ghz (this is as specific I can get, i'm at work and i forget the model number)

Asus P5WD2 Motherboard (955x chipset)

8 GB ddr2 ram

Amd Radeon HD 6850

Running windows 8 64bit

So, I would like to ideally upgrade just my CPU to something that will give me better performance without upgrading my motherboard as well. If this is possible, what CPU would you recommend to play a game like SWTOR on higher graphics without the lag? Also, if I have to upgrade my motherboard, do I have to change my ram to ddr3? I just bought new ram a few weeks ago (my motherboard didn't support ddr3 i was told).

Thanks!

More about : cpu upgrade

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 18, 2012 12:43:02 PM

dude you need to buy cpu+mobo+ram

your current mobo is socket 775 which old.your mobo not even support any good cpu.

see here your cpu support list- http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5WD2...

i reccommend you to sell those ram to any friend.ddr3 ram are much faster and cheaper. you have very good graphic card.just you need new cpu+mobo+ram

December 18, 2012 12:54:11 PM

ASHISH65 said:
dude you need to buy cpu+mobo+ram

your current mobo is socket 775 which old.your mobo not even support any good cpu.

see here your cpu support list- http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5WD2...

i reccommend you to sell those ram to any friend.ddr3 ram are much faster and cheaper. you have very good graphic card.just you need new cpu+mobo+ram

Thanks for the help! Is there any specific motherboard you would recommend for under 150? Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
December 18, 2012 12:57:12 PM

Also, would my current processor work on a new motherboard if I wanted to upgrade slowly? thanks.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 18, 2012 1:04:34 PM

Greco18 said:
Also, would my current processor work on a new motherboard if I wanted to upgrade slowly? thanks.

no there is no new mobo will support that.

better buy new cpu and mobo
m
l
December 18, 2012 2:47:44 PM

I have to agree with ASHISH65. 775 Socket is outdated and you cannot use the processor on a newer socket to upgrade slowly. I would recommend going with a Z77/Z68/P67 motherboard. If you want to go with a 2500k, best to go with a Z68 or P67, however P67s aren't made much anymore so they cost more than they should. I haven't looked much into Z68 boards. Read reviews on Newegg and decide what seems best for your needs. Get some G.Skill RAM. It's cheap and effective. 4-8GB will suffice.
m
l
!