Computer won't power up after overcloking

jrtaylor

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Hi there,

After completing my first computer build a few days ago I decided to try and change my bios setting from normal mode to ASUS optimal mode. After doing so the computer powered down to restart and I have been unable to turn the power back on since. The motherboard still has power but there is no response when pressing the power button. I have tried clearing the CMOS with a jumper and taking the battery out of the motherboard and nothing has worked. Thanks to my supplier I have cover for 28 days for accidental damages due to installation and such, but would prefer to avoid that. Could anyone help shed light on the problem?

Thanks,

James

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
Hmm, Since you already tried clearing CMOS, it might be possible that your CPU was over-volted and/or damaged. When you cleared CMOS did you also unplug your PSU main power as there might be some residual power in the system that will also ensure a cold boot.

You said the Mobo has power, but does it give any error codes via beeps or light codes ? If you are sure you didn't tamper with anything but the Bios, then i'm not sure what the problem is, other than the unlikely scenario of damaging your CPU and/or Ram with the OC.

Failing that, have you tried swapping out your ram modules, any others you can use to test ?

Sorry that i am not much help, it's been too long since i did any sort of Overclocking.

jrtaylor

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012

Thanks for the reply, I retried clearing CMOS and then unplugged all of my components then put them back in again and it seem to do the trick. Not really sure what the cause of the problem was but i did get an overclock failed message after successfully turning it on.