Sign in with
Your question
Closed

De-lidded i5 3570K Ivy Bridge - Damaged?

Last response: in CPUs
December 18, 2012 1:04:24 PM

I de-lidded for the first time. I believe I slightly scratched the lower right hand corner (circled in attached picture, next to the gold arrow indicator).

Can't literally test out the CPU because I'm[/url] piecing my build part by part as money comes in.

I need some expert advice/opinions/flames on whether this CPU is trashed, perfectly fine etc.

I will select a best answer.

Just anxious as to your input since I can't test it.

I do have a two year walk-in warranty through Micro Center. I'll glue the IHS back to the PCB if need be and take it back.
After I test it of course.

Hopefully it's fine.

Opinions/flames wanted.

P.S. Coollaboratory Ultra en route.

P.S.S. Piecing part by part because the CPU was $169.99 at Micro Center and $50 off ANY motherboard if you get an Ivy Bridge with it.

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 8:17:58 PM

I bet it's ok.

The CPU is the shiny thing in the middle, you just scuffed some of the PCB on the package. It doesn't look like you exposed any wiring or metal either. PCB are pretty resilient and just there to insulate and hold stuff in place.

Unfortunately we won't know till you test it.
Related resources
a c 101 à CPUs
December 18, 2012 8:29:05 PM

Unless you gouged the substrate deep enough to either cut traces in internal layers or cause a short, it should be ok.

You should at least have waited until you had at least checked whether or not the CPU worked before de-lidding it. Now, you have one extra variable to add to the what-if list if your rig fails to boot once you get around to actually building it. DOA CPUs are rare but it can happen.

Best solution

a c 86 à CPUs
December 18, 2012 8:31:25 PM

Yep, you should be fine, it doesn't look like you scratched deep enough to hit circuitry.
That being said, you're putting the watercooling directly on the chip, right? Just replacing the TiM isn't worth it. (And if you are putting the watercooling directly on there, remember to lap both surfaces. You might also have a little trouble getting a good contact - a lot of people I know had to remove their CPU bracket.)
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 8:38:02 PM

No problem with the scratch, but that white circle around it destroys chips!

; )
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 8:43:08 PM

newfireorange said:
I de-lidded for the first time. I believe I slightly scratched the lower right hand corner (circled in attached picture, next to the gold arrow indicator).

Can't literally test out the CPU because I'm piecing my build part by part as money comes in.

I need some expert advice/opinions/flames on whether this CPU is trashed, perfectly fine etc.

I will select a best answer.

Just anxious as to your input since I can't test it.

I do have a two year walk-in warranty through Micro Center. I'll glue the IHS back to the PCB if need be and take it back.
After I test it of course.

Hopefully it's fine.

Opinions/flames wanted.

P.S. Coollaboratory Ultra en route.

P.S.S. Piecing part by part because the CPU was $169.99 at Micro Center and $50 off ANY motherboard if you get an Ivy Bridge with it.

]http://imageshack.us/a/img16/2623/delidded3570ki5circledd.th.jpg" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
[/url]

Let me give you some advice..never ever make any modifcations to any components unless you have tested it firstly. This is for warrantly purposes mainly, you want to make sure that the i5 3570k was actually working before you de-lid it, now a light scratch on the die is bad enough a chipped corner even worse, but like the other have said you will not know for sure until your build is complete
December 19, 2012 12:19:30 AM

Best answer selected by newfireorange.
December 19, 2012 12:23:13 AM

DarkSable said:
Yep, you should be fine, it doesn't look like you scratched deep enough to hit circuitry.
That being said, you're putting the watercooling directly on the chip, right? Just replacing the TiM isn't worth it. (And if you are putting the watercooling directly on there, remember to lap both surfaces. You might also have a little trouble getting a good contact - a lot of people I know had to remove their CPU bracket.)

Eh, I thought about lapping both the heatsink and IHS but I really don't want to void the warranty on the CPU. Lapping it will do that. If it's fried from my scratch (which I now doubt), I'll glue the IHS back on and return it to Micro Center.

Been researching closed loop watercooling and I don't like any. I'm looking at the Phantek and Noctua DH-14.

Not interested in "real" watercooling at the moment.

Thanks for the input though. You really can't go wrong with GOOD watercooling though vs the top fans.
December 19, 2012 12:24:21 AM

I know I should have tested the CPU first but I couldn't wait. God forbid it was DOA that would suck. Won't actually have all parts in my hand for about three more weeks as money comes in and parts get shipped here.
!