Sign in with
Your question

Intel Turbo Boost Tech

Last response: in CPUs
December 18, 2012 1:16:27 PM

Hello, firstly I'd like to thank everyone for their answers to come.

A few months back I bought a Laptop, It's called Fujitsu NH532 Lifebook, I checked out the specs and then compared them to games and other applications I want to run on it and it all seemed fine.

( http://www.fujitsu.com/se/products/computing/pc/noteboo... )

When running mass programs all works well but I've started playing World of Warcraft and I get huge freezes, firstly I assumed it was the Graphics card (nvidia 640LE), after countless hours researching I turned my attention to the processor (i7-3610QM processor, 6 MB, 2.3 GHz, up to 3.3 GHz) I navigated to the intel website and downloaded a processor monitor where it shows the boost, from my observation of the last few weeks, each time i get a freeze the turbo boost drops. When playing my processor is running at ~80degrees with a Cooler Master laptop mat on full power, The processor its self is below the max temp according to the intel website which is 103 degrees. When playing WoW the processor runs at 3.1, freezes, drops down to 2.3, then 3-5 seconds later back up to 3.1 and the freeze is over.

My question is, How do i disable the turbo boost technology? I've looked everywhere and tried countless programs which claim to stop it activating but to no avail.

I really hope to hear from someone soon!

//Jack

More about : intel turbo boost tech

a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 1:29:20 PM

It will be in the bios of your Lappy.

Press delete or f2 of something similar.

It's probably best not to though. it's staying at 80 degrees because it's throttling.

80 degrees is way to hot to be comfortable. 103 is the point at which instant total death happens.
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 1:29:45 PM

when does the freezes happen? if its when you have a lot of people running on your screen its the internet
Related resources
December 18, 2012 1:32:01 PM

If you disable the turbo boost technology, Jack, you'll be running at 2.3 GHz all the time (which isn't what you want).
The idea is that, under certain circumstances when not all cores are in use and thermal is low, the CPU will speed up above its rating.
This will help older single-threaded programs, where one core is maxed out but the CPU overall is not overheating.
You're talking as if 3.3 GHz is the normal speed of your CPU, and how do you stop it from going down to 2.3 GHz?
Doesn't work that way,
Regards
December 18, 2012 1:38:46 PM

darth pravus said:
It will be in the bios of your Lappy.

Press delete or f2 of something similar.

It's probably best not to though. it's staying at 80 degrees because it's throttling.

80 degrees is way to hot to be comfortable. 103 is the point at which instant total death happens.

I've looked in the bios and there is nothing about it. I can't do very much about the heat sadly, When i bought the cooling pad i expected lower temps, it seems to do nothing.
December 18, 2012 1:39:37 PM

alvine said:
when does the freezes happen? if its when you have a lot of people running on your screen its the internet

It's just random sadly, can happen when i am alone somewhere in the world ( I don't believe it's the internet because the CPU goes back down to 2.3 when it happens.)
December 18, 2012 1:41:10 PM

The_OGS said:
If you disable the turbo boost technology, Jack, you'll be running at 2.3 GHz all the time (which isn't what you want).
The idea is that, under certain circumstances when not all cores are in use and thermal is low, the CPU will speed up above its rating.
This will help older single-threaded programs, where one core is maxed out but the CPU overall is not overheating.
You're talking as if 3.3 GHz is the normal speed of your CPU, and how do you stop it from going down to 2.3 GHz?
Doesn't work that way,
Regards

If it runs at a steady 2.3 I don't really mind, I can't imagine that anything I run won't run on that. I'm not talking as if 3.3 is the normal speed, I'm aware what Turbo Boost does and that my processor is a 2.3.
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 1:46:22 PM

The ´freezes´ issues has nothing to do with Turbo Boost Technology -- actually it helps http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031089.ht...

The point is that 105C is the TJUNCTION, which is the max temps the CPU can reach before shutting down itself for protection reasons, so you should not let the temps go that righ! Intel says it is the max temps, because Intel laptops do not have a integrated heat spreader.

How do I know if my computer is overheating? http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-029426.ht...

What do I do if my computer is overheating? http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-029427.ht...
December 18, 2012 1:51:47 PM

jemm said:
The ´freezes´ issues has nothing to do with Turbo Boost Technology -- actually it helps http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031089.ht...

The point is that 105C is the TJUNCTION, which is the max temps the CPU can reach before shutting down itself for protection reasons, so you should not let the temps go that righ! Intel says it is the max temps, because Intel laptops do not have a integrated heat spreader.

How do I know if my computer is overheating? http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-029426.ht...

What do I do if my computer is overheating? http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-029427.ht...

If it's nothing to do with the tech, why does it crash down to 2.3 from 3.1 when the freezes happen? As stated above it doesn't go over 80, which i know it high but sadly it can't be helped. I've read though everything on the FAQ page about turbo boost
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 4:03:27 PM

The freezes happens when it got too hot -- in this case at 3.1GHz. More speed is equal to more heat.

The issue is not the Turbo Boost Technology, but the heating. You have to find out why it is getting too hot.
December 18, 2012 4:24:25 PM

Okay, So is it possible to disable turbo boost or not as i can't help the heat?
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 8:18:16 PM

Yes, you can! Just get int the Bios to disable Turbo Boost Technology. It might be under the tweak section, usually the 2nd tab, depend on your motherboard.
December 19, 2012 8:59:09 AM

There is nothing in the bios about disabling it, do i possibly need to update my bios or could it just not be there?
a b à CPUs
December 19, 2012 9:24:06 AM

If you can't take it off in the bios it could be locked therefore you can't disable it.
December 20, 2012 12:06:09 PM

No way around this 'lock'?
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2012 8:08:51 AM

No unfortunately not. Some manufacturers just lock their bios.

Dell, for example, lock other chips out of some of their machines so you can't upgrade even if it's compatible.
a c 186 à CPUs
December 21, 2012 8:12:21 AM

The laptop might be dusty, take a can of compressed air and blow it out.
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2012 8:17:02 AM

Cleaning an applying new thermal paste might lower your temps. The throttling gets pretty aggressive when temps shoot up.
!