Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Linksys wrt120n as wireless access point

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 21, 2011 7:53:26 PM

I am currently using a Linksys E2500 router and cannot get a strong enough signal to an upstairs bedroom for my wife's iPad 2. I have a spare Linksys WRT120N that I would like to utilize to increase the signal upstairs. There is no way I can run a CAT 5 cable to that room.
I believe both routers have WDS.
I would appreciate a non-technical response as I am a wireless Novice.

More about : linksys wrt120n wireless access point

October 2, 2011 2:44:13 PM

You need to set them up as WDS repeating (if they are compatible), this will allow your wife to wirelessly access the AP transparently. Otherwise you may need to DD-WRT the spare router, however I dont think the WRT120 is supported, check out DD-WRT.com for more info.
Score
October 2, 2011 9:31:37 PM

canadian69 said:
You need to set them up as WDS repeating (if they are compatible), this will allow your wife to wirelessly access the AP transparently. Otherwise you may need to DD-WRT the spare router, however I dont think the WRT120 is supported, check out DD-WRT.com for more info.

You are correct the WRT120N is not supported by DD-WRT.
I'll look to see if the WRT-120N is WDS repeating, at this time I have no idea what "WDS repeating" is.
Thanks,
Don
Score
Related resources

Best solution

October 3, 2011 3:26:13 AM

WDS allows for Bridging and Repeating, Bridging simply "bridges" two separate networks, while Repeating makes one of the participating routers to function as an extension of the main router, like an access point. Just expands coverage, which is what you want, you do not want bridging.
October 13, 2011 1:05:16 AM

Best answer selected by nodsirrah.
Score
October 13, 2011 12:29:26 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!