Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Suggest parts for $500 gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 4, 2012 12:55:38 AM

Hello,

So I have very little knowledge about PC building. I have never built one, nor upgraded one.

Approximate Purchase Date: Not super urgent

Budget Range: Around $500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies, etc.

Parts Not Required: A mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Cant use newegg as they don't ship to Australia. An Aussie site would be preferable for cheap shipping or anywhere that ships to Aus. If stuff from newegg is A LOT cheaper, I have a friend in the US that I can get it shipped to.

Country: Queensland Australia

Parts Preferences: Id like to have a fair bit of hard drive space, maybe 500GB?

Overclocking: No clue

SLI or Crossfire: What?


Additional Comments: I want to be able to run Minecraft on medium with smooth fps. Same with GTA IV and BF3. If this isnt possible for this price range, Im happy to run these game on low but still with high fps. I would much rather run a game on low graphics with fast fps than vice versa.

Thanks!

Oh an Australia runs on 240V, dont know if that makes a difference
August 4, 2012 3:16:40 AM

Running Minecraft on medium can be done on a good smart phone so...

i3-2120 - 125
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6670 1GB - 90 with a 15 mir
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Corsair 2x2gb 1333mhz ram - 25
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ZALMAN Z9 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
XFX ProSeries P1-450S-X2B9 450W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Core Edition V2 Full Wired Power Supply - $62
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Motherboard - $71
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
dvd drive - $18
Windows 7 Home Premium - $100

=$534.92
Australian prices are bs.
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
August 4, 2012 3:19:35 AM

Not bad.
Score
0
Related resources
August 4, 2012 3:31:15 AM

Patflute said:
Running Minecraft on medium can be done on a good smart phone so...

i3-2120 - 125
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6670 1GB - 90 with a 15 mir
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Corsair 2x2gb 1333mhz ram - 25
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ZALMAN Z9 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
XFX ProSeries P1-450S-X2B9 450W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Core Edition V2 Full Wired Power Supply - $62
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Motherboard - $71
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
dvd drive - $18
Windows 7 Home Premium - $100

=$534.92
Australian prices are bs.



So this will run GTA IV on medium setting smoothly? Also, will that power supply work with Australian power sockets and voltage? Thanks!
Score
0
a b 4 Gaming
August 4, 2012 3:38:58 AM

If you want med., I'd get atleast a 6770 or 7750. The 6670 is good low-end card, but it isn't very powerful. PSU's work worldwide. They have a switch on the back to change to the voltage of the power socket. Just make sure it's the correct voltage before you plug it in.
Score
0
August 4, 2012 3:49:03 AM

MrSusrus said:
Hello,

So I have very little knowledge about PC building. I have never built one, nor upgraded one.

Approximate Purchase Date: Not super urgent

Budget Range: Around $500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies, etc.

Parts Not Required: A mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Cant use newegg as they don't ship to Australia. An Aussie site would be preferable for cheap shipping or anywhere that ships to Aus. If stuff from newegg is A LOT cheaper, I have a friend in the US that I can get it shipped to.

Country: Queensland Australia

Parts Preferences: Id like to have a fair bit of hard drive space, maybe 500GB?

Overclocking: No clue

SLI or Crossfire: What?


Additional Comments: I want to be able to run Minecraft on medium with smooth fps. Same with GTA IV and BF3. If this isnt possible for this price range, Im happy to run these game on low but still with high fps. I would much rather run a game on low graphics with fast fps than vice versa.

Thanks!

Oh an Australia runs on 240V, dont know if that makes a difference


Hello buddy, here you go:


CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($122.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D3V Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($63.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($45.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card ($159.50 @ Mwave Australia)
Power Supply: Silverstone 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($64.80 @ Mwave Australia)
Total: $523.30

Btw...check your PMs
Score
0
August 4, 2012 3:58:57 AM

GTA IV is optimized TERRIBLY for PC, so it probably won't run on medium, but everything else will.

Oh ya overclocking is increasing the clock speed of the CPU and sli/crossfire is having 2 graphics cards in your system. Sli for Nvida Geforce and crossfire for AMD Radeon.

aqualipt said:
Hello buddy, here you go:








CPU:  Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($122.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D3V Micro ATX  LGA1155 Motherboard  ($63.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Memory:  G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($45.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Video Card:  Asus Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card  ($159.50 @ Mwave Australia) 
Power Supply:  Silverstone 500W ATX12V Power Supply  ($64.80 @ Mwave Australia) 
Total: $523.30




Btw...check your PMs

You forgot some parts... OS and case... That would bring it way over budget.


Score
0
August 4, 2012 4:02:48 AM

Patflute said:
GTA IV is optimized TERRIBLY for PC, so it probably won't run on medium, but everything else will.

@aqualipt: You forgot some parts... OS and case... That would bring it way over budget.


OMG...i completly forgot about the case :o 

forget the OS... i already told this guy how to get it, i sent him a message :p 
Score
0
August 4, 2012 4:04:05 AM

aqualipt said:
OMG...i completly forgot about the case :o 

forget the OS... i already told this guy how to get it, i sent him a message :p 

Don't pirate Windows...
Score
0
August 4, 2012 4:08:35 AM

Patflute said:
Don't pirate Windows...


not that, i have a lot of spare keys and sometimes i give one to first time builders or newcomers
Score
0
August 4, 2012 4:09:15 AM

aqualipt said:
not that, i have a lot of spare keys and sometimes i give one to first time builders or newcomers

You lie! :non:  :pfff: 

:bounce:  :pt1cable:  :lol:  :kaola:  :o 
Score
0
August 4, 2012 4:15:24 AM

Patflute said:
You lie! :non:  :pfff: 

:bounce:  :pt1cable:  :lol:  :kaola:  :o 


:lol:  prove it.

And not that i support piracy or anything like that but if i do it, its non of your bussines.

Edit: i do not support piracy, but i have nothing againts it, if people want to pirate let them do it, its not my problem
Score
0
August 4, 2012 4:33:41 AM

Don't be so serious <3
Score
0
August 4, 2012 4:38:59 AM

Patflute said:
Don't be so serious <3

Read your messages
Score
0
August 4, 2012 4:41:06 AM

Patflute said:
GTA IV is optimized TERRIBLY for PC, so it probably won't run on medium, but everything else will.

Oh ya overclocking is increasing the clock speed of the CPU and sli/crossfire is having 2 graphics cards in your system. Sli for Nvida Geforce and crossfire for AMD Radeon.


You forgot some parts... OS and case... That would bring it way over budget.


So can I overclock with to CPU and motherboard you recommended? Also, with the whole power supply thing, can you choose what plug they send you? or will I have to buy a different Australian power supply?

Thanks for the help so far!

Oh, I found this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I... would that be better?
Score
0
August 4, 2012 4:41:49 AM

You can't make me!
Score
0
August 4, 2012 4:43:41 AM

MrSusrus said:
So can I overclock with to CPU and motherboard you recommended? Also, with the whole power supply thing, can you choose what plug they send you? or will I have to buy a different Australian power supply?

Thanks for the help so far!

Oh, I found this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I... would that be better?


You cant overclock a Sandy bridge CPU that doesnt have a unlocked multiplier.
Score
0
August 4, 2012 4:45:35 AM

aqualipt said:
You cant overclock a Sandy bridge CPU that doesnt have a unlocked multiplier.


Does overclocking make a huge difference? Can you overclock an i5?
Score
0
August 4, 2012 4:46:30 AM

Patflute said:
You can't make me!


You are such a nerd...seriously, get out of your mother's house.
Score
0
August 4, 2012 4:47:16 AM

Can we all just play nice, so I can build my PC?
Score
0
August 4, 2012 4:57:33 AM

MrSusrus said:
Does overclocking make a huge difference? Can you overclock an i5?

Intel processors with a k at the end can be overclocked. So i5-2500k, 2550k and i5-3570k

aqualipt said:
You are such a nerd...seriously, get out of your mother's house.

I'm just playing calm down, you're the one that seems to not have a sense of humour. Also anyone on the Tom's Hardware forums is a nerd you hypocrite.

MrSusrus said:
Can we all just play nice, so I can build my PC?


I am playing nice and helping you :3 I'm not sure about the Australian power thing. Also the power supply and hard drive in that Newegg bundle sucks.
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:06:38 AM

Patflute said:
Intel processors with a k at the end can be overclocked. So i5-2500k, 2550k and i5-3570k


I'm just playing calm down, you're the one that seems to not have a sense of humour. Also anyone on the Tom's Hardware forums is a nerd you hypocrite.



I am playing nice and helping you :3 I'm not sure about the Australian power thing. Also the power supply and hard drive in that Newegg bundle sucks.


Ok thanks. Is it worth forking out the extra cash for one you can overclock?
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:09:30 AM

Quote:
I'm just playing calm down, you're the one that seems to not have a sense of humour. Also anyone on the Tom's Hardware forums is a nerd you hypocrite.


Right...look, i only play a couple of hours a week (maybe 4) and unlike most people here, i hate star was, starket or whatever those things are called, i only play COD and BF3 when i have time BUT i do like electronics a lot and thats what got me into this forum, so no, i am not a nerd, well i have all the important knowledge a "geek" has (except all that movie/comic/anime or whatever) but i dont get horny when a game comes out.
I really hope you dont fell insulted and if you are then i apologize, i just wanted to let things clear.


Quote:
I am playing nice and helping you :3 I'm not sure about the Australian power thing. Also the power supply and hard drive in that Newegg bundle sucks.


Nope you wont need an "australian PSU" ANY electronic device that uses normal 110V electricity will easily work with 200-220v with any 110-220 adaptor wich looks like this:


In your case you will need the oposite converter wich i am sure you can get it at your local hardware store
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:11:58 AM

MrSusrus said:
Ok thanks. Is it worth forking out the extra cash for one you can overclock?


Definetly, but the cheapes K CPU is the i5 2500k wich is ~207$ and you will also need a P67, Z68 or a Z77 board to overclock it
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:16:09 AM

Rightio everyone, this is the build I'm looking at:

i3-2120 - 125
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819115077
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6670 1GB - 90 with a 15 mir
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814102958
Corsair 2x2gb 1333mhz ram - 25
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820145278
ZALMAN Z9 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811235026
XFX ProSeries P1-450S-X2B9 450W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Core Edition V2 Full Wired Power Supply - $62
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817207018
ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Motherboard - $71
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131724
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822136769
dvd drive - $18
Windows 7 Home Premium - $100

Just to confirm, it will run BF3 on medium with high FPS, Minecraft on medium with high fps and GTA IV on low with high fps?

Thanks for everyones help so far!
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:16:14 AM

I would cost a lot more.

If you're going from my build then it would cost you:

$70 more for a i5 - 3570k

$20-$80 for a better cooler (overclocking brings up the temp. on the CPU).

+$30 for a low end Z68/Z77 motherboard that can overclock.



It's really not worth it if you're going to run a low end graphics card. If you want to toss some more money towards it then go for a 500w power supply and a better graphics card.

If you're going to get a Radeon 6750/7750/6770/7770 or Geforce 550ti instead you don't need to upgrade the power supply. Radeon 6850/6870 or Geforce 560 you would need a 500w.
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:20:11 AM

Patflute said:
I would cost a lot more.

If you're going from my build then it would cost you:

$70 more for a i5 - 3570k

$20-$80 for a better cooler (overclocking brings up the temp. on the CPU).

+$30 for a low end Z68/Z77 motherboard that can overclock.



It's really not worth it if you're going to run a low end graphics card. If you want to toss some more money towards it then go for a 500w power supply and a better graphics card.

If you're going to get a Radeon 6750/7750/6770/7770 or Geforce 550ti instead you don't need to upgrade the power supply. Radeon 6850/6870 or Geforce 560 you would need a 500w.


I dont think I will bother with overclocking. Seems a lot more cash I just dont have. Thanks though.
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:22:48 AM

MrSusrus said:
Rightio everyone, this is the build I'm looking at:

i3-2120 - 125
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819115077
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6670 1GB - 90 with a 15 mir
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814102958
Corsair 2x2gb 1333mhz ram - 25
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820145278
ZALMAN Z9 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811235026
XFX ProSeries P1-450S-X2B9 450W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Core Edition V2 Full Wired Power Supply - $62
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817207018
ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Motherboard - $71
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131724
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822136769
dvd drive - $18
Windows 7 Home Premium - $100

Just to confirm, it will run BF3 on medium with high FPS, Minecraft on medium with high fps and GTA IV on low with high fps?

Thanks for everyones help so far!


BF3 on ultra with the 6670: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrmRXojpIqo The description says 30-40fps on ultra.

GTA IV on 6670: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmCcKZJ9HLg description says 33fps with mediumish settings.

Of course it's Youtube so it could be wrong.
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:26:05 AM

Patflute said:
BF3 on ultra with the 6670: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrmRXojpIqo The description says 30-40fps on ultra.

GTA IV on 6670: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmCcKZJ9HLg description says 33fps with mediumish settings.

Of course it's Youtube so it could be wrong.


Sweet, thanks so much. The BF3 one has an i5 processor, but I dont need ultra settings. The GTA IV one has an i3 2100, which isnt as good as the 2120, so I should be good right?

Oh also, will all these components fit in the case recommended? And could I pick a different ATX mid tower case and it all still work?
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:26:17 AM

MrSusrus said:
Oh an also, could I swap the Corsair 2x2gb 1333mhz ram for this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ?

Well you "can", but don't because the motherboard I chose has a max ram frequency of 1333mhz, so the 1600mhz would be wasted. This would be better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would suggest upgrading the graphics card if you're going to upgrade something. It's your weakest part for gaming right now.
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:27:11 AM

Patflute said:
BF3 on ultra with the 6670: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrmRXojpIqo The description says 30-40fps on ultra.

GTA IV on 6670: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmCcKZJ9HLg description says 33fps with mediumish settings.

Of course it's Youtube so it could be wrong.


its possible that at that crappy resolution and details the 6670 could do ~30fps



that GPU is so crappy that none of the reviews i found included BF3 so i guess you will have to rely on a BF2 benchmark to determinate how fast (in this case, how slow) your PC will run BF3
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:28:41 AM

So I need a better GPU then? Whats would be an acceptable upgrade without making it cost a whole lot more and still work with the current parts?
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:31:10 AM

MrSusrus said:
Sweet, thanks so much. The BF3 one has an i5 processor, but I dont need ultra settings. The GTA IV one has an i3 2100, which isnt as good as the 2120, so I should be good right?

Oh also, will all these components fit in the case recommended? And could I pick a different ATX mid tower case and it all still work?

Any mid tower is find and will fit everything. Your graphics card is extremely small compared to the ~200+ ones. Just make sure that the mid tower does not have a power supply with it because you're getting a psu and they suck. A lot.
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:31:55 AM

MrSusrus said:
So I need a better GPU then? Whats would be an acceptable upgrade without making it cost a whole lot more and still work with the current parts?


a 6850 atleast.
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:33:42 AM

aqualipt said:
a 6850 atleast.


Just searched newegg for "6850" and it returned a whole heap of them. What are the differences?
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:36:33 AM

MrSusrus said:
So I need a better GPU then? Whats would be an acceptable upgrade without making it cost a whole lot more and still work with the current parts?

Instead of a 6850 you might want to go with a high end 7770 because it eats less power. It's also cheaper.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/536?vs=539&i=372...

^ 7770 vs 6850. They trade blows while the 7770 is quieter, consumes less power and is cooler.
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:40:28 AM

Patflute said:
Instead of a 6850 you might want to go with a high end 7770 because it eats less power. It's also cheaper.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/536?vs=539&i=372...

^ 7770 vs 6850. They trade blows while the 7770 is quieter, consumes less power and is cooler.


If you were building this exact PC for my specs, which would you choose?
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:42:34 AM

Radeon 7770 Sapphire Vapor-x.
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:46:04 AM

MrSusrus said:
What are the differences? Sorry for the newb questions..

The only differences really are:

-the cooler
-number of fans

-core clock (the speed of it out of the box) Of course higher core clock is better, but also louder and hotter.

-memory clock (pretty same affect as the core clock I think, I'm not very advanced in this area)

-price

-ports at the back of the card, doesn't really affect you since you are probably running one monitor.

-size

-The MSI one has a program that lets you tweak your PC easily. (MSI Afterburner)
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:49:32 AM

MrSusrus said:
Just searched newegg for "6850" and it returned a whole heap of them. What are the differences?


you seriously weren't expecting just 1, right? the diference between all of them is the cooling, some run cooler than others, imo this one is the best for you: http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/newegg/sapphire-video-card-1...
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:54:22 AM

MrSusrus said:
Oh and what about a sound card? Is this required or what?


no, your motherboard has a built in sound card.
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:54:30 AM

Oh and what about a sound card? Is this required or what?
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:57:32 AM

One is not really better.

Since you're running on a 450w I would get the 7770 and it's cheaper. The vapor-x one is a ghz edition so it might actually surpass the performance of the 6850. Size shouldn't be a problem. Volume shouldn't be too far away from each other. The 6850 by default is louder, but the 7770 has 2 fans.
Score
0
August 4, 2012 5:57:53 AM

aqualipt said:
it depends... do you want the Free Dirt3 cupon? :lol: 


Not really. Performance wise, which is better?
Score
0
!