Sign in with
Your question

First gaming pc build

Last response: in Systems
August 4, 2012 12:59:40 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: within a week
Budget Range: $1500 +/- 200
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, video editing, photo editing.
Parts Not Required: None
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg
Parts Preferences: None, but I did come up with a possible configuration after some research.
Wishlist
Note, this also includes a monitor, keyboard and mouse which I do not include in the 1500
Overclocking: maybe
SLI or Crossfire: maybe
Monitor Resolution: 2 1080p monitors
Additional Comments: This is my first foray into gaming pc's so I'm not really sure what type of games I will be playing, all I know for sure is diablo 3 as well as TF2 and Portal 2 which are the only games I have on steam right now.

Would my wish list be any good? What should I change or should I start over.

More about : gaming build

August 4, 2012 1:41:59 AM

xedell said:
Approximate Purchase Date: within a week
Budget Range: $1500 +/- 200
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, video editing, photo editing.
Parts Not Required: None
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg
Parts Preferences: None, but I did come up with a possible configuration after some research.
Wishlist
Note, this also includes a monitor, keyboard and mouse which I do not include in the 1500
Overclocking: maybe
SLI or Crossfire: maybe
Monitor Resolution: 2 1080p monitors
Additional Comments: This is my first foray into gaming pc's so I'm not really sure what type of games I will be playing, all I know for sure is diablo 3 as well as TF2 and Portal 2 which are the only games I have on steam right now.

Would my wish list be any good? What should I change or should I start over.

It looks like a fantastic build. I think you'd be happy with it, just as is. There are a couple of things I would tweak, however.

There has been a very quiet (almost unnoticed) revolution in SSD technology recently. It's referred to as SSD Cache. Basically, it uses software and your CPU to incredibly speed up the read/write rate of your (spinning disk type) hard drive. In simple terms, imagine if your SSD storage capacity was virtually unlimited. It can be.

I noticed you've got a hundred bucks set aside for a 128GB SSD, which I assume will be your boot drive. Instead, I'd suggest you use any spinning disk hard drive as your boot drive. Then get yourself an OCZ Synapse 128GB SSD Cache to turn the entire hard drive into a virtual SSD. Net cost is the same for the build, but now your entire ~1TB hard drive will perform like an SSD.

And I agree with someone else that your hard drive is expensive. I've seen Seagate brand 1TB drives below $100. If it was my build, I'd go for 2 X 1TB 2.5" notebook style hard drives (one primary, one backup space for automated backups). You're going to have to get an adapter for your SSD anyway, so just pick up a couple of 2.5" adapters (each can mount one or two drives).
If you're worried about the performance of the smaller format hard drives, keep in mind that the OCZ Synapse will more than compensate for that.

On a side note, I don't really know why 3.5" hard drives are so popular, still. With hybrid hard drives and SSD cache drives, it seems so ummmmm, 90s to use a 3.5" hard disk. (!)

Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
August 4, 2012 2:10:53 AM

Here is my suggestion if you want to go cheaper get the mouse and keyboard you prefer along with monitor and then this if not then your build is compatible and solid and no need to change it PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($404.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1335.89
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-03 22:09 EDT-0400)
a b 4 Gaming
August 4, 2012 3:34:32 AM

Great build bigcyco1!
a b 4 Gaming
August 4, 2012 5:13:25 PM

obsama1 said:
Great build bigcyco1!
Thanks!I recently did that same build for my cousin and it's kick ass that's why i recommended it hes pretty dam happy to i am now his favorite cousin go figure :lol: 
August 5, 2012 1:56:25 AM

Thank you all for your advice. I fixed the hard drive and case as well as changed the ssd to an ssd cache, I did some more research and they sound more useful.
a b 4 Gaming
August 5, 2012 6:01:14 PM

I would recommend against the SSD cache, since it uses a lot of read/write cycles, and reduces the life of your SSD. Just get a 128GB SSD, and put the OS and your most used apps on it.
!