1st Rig Build : Vol: More for work than for fun.

traderxyz

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Hi Folks,

Here is what I came up with. I would very much like you guys to chime in. I'm not going to just to go out and buy this, but this is on my radar:

ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$199.99 -$10.00 Instant $189.99

ASUS HD7770-2GD5 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
$159.99

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Modular $99.99

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
$229.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
$89.99

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$119.99

I don't know much about GPU, but I don't really see myself too inclined w/ games, but I would like to play sport games and what not. This isn't a rush to build, so if you folks know of any tips like maybe waiting for black friday, that would be good. What I didn't understand was, Newegg had a HD similar to mines for 750GB, but it was sold for way more than the one I have?

I guess the main thing for me is to make sure things utilize each other in a meaningful way. It's mostly for work, but I could use some suggestion. Looking to complete the build by 4th Q 2012. Hope it doesn't sound stupid, I could do w/o high end graphics. My case is a cooler master elite 431 plus.

Thanks.

traderxyz

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

I've been told the same, but the reality is, I don't plan on doing too much to my comp, after I build it. Therefore, I feel like I am okay going up a notch. I am building for the future, not for existing apps.

I know exactly what you mean by the MS office thing though.

I'm pretty set w/ what I want, but I'm just a bit unsure about fitment issues, and MB/ graphics.

Ultimately, I would like reliability, and stability.

Thanks!

obsama1

Distinguished

traderxyz

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Hey sir,

Thank you for the suggestion. Let me re-work my config.

Am I spending too much? I really don't play too much games, but feel like my graphics are decent for typical apps.

traderxyz

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
How do people normally build their comps? I figured I would buy the MOBO/CPU last.
I plan on buying the PSU + DRIVE next. Would that make sense? Or should I just wait and buy everything together?

THanks.

obsama1

Distinguished
Yes, you buy everything together usually. However, GPU prices have been very voltaile, and going up and down. So, you could buy everything, and wait a month for the 660 and 660Ti to drive down prices, but it's your choice.

traderxyz

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

I really appreciate the help from the team here. I'm confused about compatibly issues though.

Maybe, I'll check w/ you folks later. I dunno if the AMD or NVIDIA matters w/ my intel setup.

Thanks.

All computer components are compatible with each other if they fit certain criteria. Motherboards are in the ATX form factor, so an ATX case can fit them. If a motherboards socket is LGA 1155, an LGA 1155 CPU will fit into it. DDR2 RAM wont work in DDR3 slots, and vice versa.
Some things are backward compatible though, SATA3 ports works on SATA2 devices and vice versa, PCI-Express gen 2 slots work with Gen 3 cards.

AMD/Nvidia graphic cards will work regardless of whether your running an AMD or Intel system.

The only thing that isn't really clarified about compatibility is RAM voltage. Intel CPU's weren't designed to handle more than 1.5v, so RAM that runs at 1.65v or above (All Kingston RAM) will damage the CPU and void its warranty.

Onto the build, its all compatible by the way.

Caviar Blacks are quite expensive, even for post flood prices. Seagate has much cheaper drives that perform better.
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM. $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840
For the price of that Caviar you could get the 2TB model.

Diffrent PSU, Coolermaster are not known for their power supplies. This 650W unit is more than you need, but 500 and 600W units tend to be barren of good efficiencies and amps.
Corsair Enthusiast TX650W 80+ Bronze. $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

16GB of RAM for (essentially) an office machine?
You can drop that to 4GB and you wont feel a thing, though get 8GB so its an easy transition to a gaming rig.
G.Skills Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) 1600Mhz CL9 1.5v. $46
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

traderxyz

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

Thanks for the tip. I thought seagate had gone down hill, and I've used the NEWEGG reviews as a guide in terms of what's reliable. I'll rethink the HD, but I've always had Wester Digital, and they seem to work good.

SO you're saying, I can get a ATI for my INTEL? Hmm.

Thanks!

obsama1

Distinguished
Yes, AMD GPU's and Nvidia GPU's will work with either AMD or Intel CPU's. However, there are people that will tell you that AMD & AMD or Nvidia & Intel will give you better performance when paired that way. Don't listen to them. It doesn't work that way.

traderxyz

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Thanks for the tips folks. Would a $200 GPU card enough? I mostly enjoy playing sports game though, but to be honest, I am mostly gearing up for a stable system.

I've ordered the corsair because I have a discount, so I think that'll be good. Since I'm not going to rush this, I was going to see if I could take advantage of price cuts and what not.

For the HD, why is the WD not good? I thought the 6gb, and 32MB cache was a good aspect?

THanks.

Think he means 6GB p/s interface (SATAIII) and 32mb Cache.

SATAIII is a good feature, though on HDD's (with maybe the exception of Raptor's and SSD/HDD hybrids) is largely wasted.

The cache size isnt all that important, but its good to have a bigger one. The Seagate drive I recommended has 64MB of cache and a SATAIII interface.

traderxyz

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Hi Guys,

I got the PSU because I had a gift card, so I rather just buy it now.

I also bought this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006B7R9PU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

The thing is, it doesn't come w/ a cable, and I'm a bit confused as to which I should get.

Would something like this work?
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10132/sat-152/UV_Blue_SATA_30_10_Cable_w_Latch_-_Straight_to_Straight_SCIII-10-B.html?tl=g2c433s1080

I apologize for the dumb questions. THis is my first build, and it's pretty evident, how unsure I am about things.

Thank you for the help above. The samsung drive, looks like a good deal.

traderxyz

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
I apologize for the dumb question, but appreciate the help. I was able to connect the cable from my PSU to the optical drive, so I guess, I'm missing the data part right?

If I'm not mistaken, I can't power on individual components w/o the mobo right? lol

I tried plugging in the PSU, and testing the optical drive, but it wouldn't power it like that. I'm guessing, everything has to by pass the mobo?

I have 3 - 120MM EXHAUST FANS, and 1 - 140MM INTAKE FAN. I wanted to consolidate them w/o sacrificing power.

I'm thinking of this for my exhaust fans:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14003/cab-517/Bitfenix_Alchemy_Multisleeve_4-Pin_Molex_to_Triple_3-Pin_Fan_Adapter_12V_-_20cm_-_Blue_BFA-MSC-M33F12VBK-RP.html?tl=g2c251

I have this corsair PSU:
http://www.corsair.com/en/power-supply-units/tx-series-power-supply-units/enthusiast-series-tx750-v2-80-plus-bronze-certified-750-watt-high-performance-power-supply.html

The thing is, the stock 4-pin peripheral has 4 MOLEX on 1 cable going into the PSU. It seems a tad too cluttered for me, as I want to consolidate the cables. Any ideas for this? But I would rather stick to the stock cabling if possible.

Thanks.

forerunner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
I agree about the 7770, from my research its basically like a mobile gpu version of the 7 series... and i dont think it even performs better than any of the 6k series if im not mistaken.

Also if you are mind set on getting 16 gigs or ram, it might be smarter to get 2x instead of 4x. i guess its half the chance of getting a bad stick of ram and i think theres some validity behind the performance difference. of course if you think of it the other way, if 1 or even 2 is bad then you still have 2 more that work :p

But ive been told that 1x4 gig stick is better than 2x2 gig, beause what good does dual channel do if you can get the same amount out of one vs the two, in my opinion ( undereducated at that,) dual channel is only really better than a single (1:1) when it comes to using the highest amount of ram a DIMM slot can handle. like 8 for example. cause, then you cant just use a 16 gig stick but then its better to have two 8 sticks running together than it is having one go full load then the other picking up slack... sorry turned more into a out loud thought process rant... ha.

TRENDING THREADS