First build help. Can't get past BIOS

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • BIOS
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 4, 2012 2:20:50 AM

Well I recently just built my first computer, I've made it to the BIOS screens and everything from RAM to video card to SATA drives all are reading, but when I try to actually start the computer normally, it fails. Gives me a blue screen momentarily then goes to a screen that says try to start windows normally or detect issue or something of that sort. When i try to detect the issue, my mouse and keyboard stop working so I can no longer try and go about it that way (Both are plugged into the motherboard) I have my old HDD in the computer with windows 7 on it, so I thought I could just use that. Any help is appreciated!!!

More about : build past bios

August 4, 2012 3:07:55 AM

From what I can tell, windows is configured to my old pc (all the drives and what not) so what I'm trying to do isn't possible. At least that's what I'm gathering. If anyone knows for sure I'd really appreciate any help.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2012 3:13:10 AM

try booting into safe mode; pressing F8 just before the windows screen and install the motherboard drivers.
m
l
Related resources
August 4, 2012 3:17:46 AM

For the new PC, you can't use the HDD from the old PC to boot up because they have different hardware setups and drivers.

You have to do fresh installation of Windows 7 and everything will be fine.
m
l

Best solution

August 4, 2012 3:25:57 AM

abiohazard29 said:
Well I recently just built my first computer, I've made it to the BIOS screens and everything from RAM to video card to SATA drives all are reading, but when I try to actually start the computer normally, it fails. Gives me a blue screen momentarily then goes to a screen that says try to start windows normally or detect issue or something of that sort. When i try to detect the issue, my mouse and keyboard stop working so I can no longer try and go about it that way (Both are plugged into the motherboard) I have my old HDD in the computer with windows 7 on it, so I thought I could just use that. Any help is appreciated!!!

for future referance you can use the HDD from a PC on a new build but it looks like you skipped a step. You first have to clean out all the old drivers. This is how I made my first PC build. I didnt want to buy a new copy of windows as I basically paid for it when I purchased my lenovo desktop. So I went and deleted all the non generic drivers and then removed the HDD and reinstalled it into the new build. You should then be able to boot up with that drive and install the new drivers. But also make sure you have the acctivation code for windows as it will want you to enter that with the new mobo.
August 4, 2012 3:38:31 AM

cburke82 said:
for future referance you can use the HDD from a PC on a new build but it looks like you skipped a step. You first have to clean out all the old drivers. This is how I made my first PC build. I didnt want to buy a new copy of windows as I basically paid for it when I purchased my lenovo desktop. So I went and deleted all the non generic drivers and then removed the HDD and reinstalled it into the new build. You should then be able to boot up with that drive and install the new drivers. But also make sure you have the acctivation code for windows as it will want you to enter that with the new mobo.

Well I might have to break down and buy a new copy of windows then because my old pc that had the hard drive is in pieces. I scrapped what I didn't use for a little extra cash. Thanks for the help anyway.
m
l
August 4, 2012 3:39:10 AM

Best answer selected by abiohazard29.
m
l
August 4, 2012 3:41:54 AM

Anonymous said:
try booting into safe mode; pressing F8 just before the windows screen and install the motherboard drivers.

I tried that but it recommends having your OS on there first so it can install the proper drives. It wouldn't work at all with the old hard drive. Went from a AMDto Intel system it just froze up every time.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2012 3:51:26 AM

abiohazard29 said:
I tried that but it recommends having your OS on there first so it can install the proper drives. It wouldn't work at all with the old hard drive. Went from a AMDto Intel system it just froze up every time.

ahhhhh makes sense, thanks for the feedback and glad you know to get another OS disk. (well not glad you have to pay)
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2012 3:55:07 AM

linux is free until then :) 
m
l
August 4, 2012 3:55:16 AM

Anonymous said:
ahhhhh makes sense, thanks for the feedback and glad you know to get another OS disk. (well not glad you have to pay)

Definitely not looking forward to dropping another hundred bucks, but if that's what it takes to get it up and running its worth it! Thanks for the help everyone.
m
l