Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First Gaming Rig

Last response: in Systems
August 4, 2012 3:45:04 AM

Okay I'm building a new desktop(ordering in about a month or so) and I'm going to using it specifically for gaming and home media entertainment so I intend to use a TV tuner with it in the future. Everything I'm getting is going to be from Newegg, but if you know some where I can get one of these things cheaper please do tell. Anyways my budget is around 1400 bucks and I can't seem to go any lower than a little over 1500, probably because I can't decide on what I really need or I'm stuck on what I want and I'm not really searching for a cheaper alternative. So if you guys can help I'd really appreciate it. ~Thanks! ^.^

Here's what I have so far....

CPU & Motherboard Combo: ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 & Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)* ($394.98) save 25 bucks w/ the combo there!
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake WATER2.0 Performer Closed-Loop All In One Liquid CPU Cooler Dual 120mm ($69.99)
Memory & PSU Combo: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory & CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ($148.98) Saved 45 bucks w/ combo & instant savings, awesome!
Storage: SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive, ($119.99) Intel 330 Series Maple Crest 2.5" 60GB (SSD) ($69.99)
Video Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 670 - 2GB* ($399.99)
Computer Case: NZXT Phantom 410 White Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower* ($99.99)
Optical Drive: LG Black Blu-ray Burner,3D Play Back (WH14NS40) - OEM ($69.99)
Keyboard & Mouse Combo: A4-Tech No-Lag Gaming Class 2.4Ghz Wireless Desktop Combo Set + Super Precision G7 V-Track Wireless Mouse and 7200N Wireless Keyboard* ($49.99)
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM ($99.99)

Total Cost : $1,523.88

(*) Things I would prefer to keep if all possible.

I usually shop Tigerdirect.com, Newegg.com, and Amazon.com

More about : gaming rig

August 4, 2012 4:07:20 AM

660ti is coming in the middle of this month, should be $300. That is $100 off.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, $1400.

Also if you have a Microcentre near you, you can get parts for cheaper.
m
l
August 4, 2012 4:35:15 AM

Patflute said:
660ti is coming in the middle of this month, should be $300. That is $100 off.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, $1400.

Also if you have a Microcentre near you, you can get parts for cheaper.

Sadly I live in Florida and there aren't any in Florida...and what will the 660ti offer anyhow?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 4, 2012 4:37:56 AM

"coming in the middle of this month"

So not out anywhere in the world and no one knows except the Nvida crew.
m
l
August 4, 2012 4:42:24 AM

Patflute said:
"coming in the middle of this month"

So not out anywhere in the world and no one knows except the Nvida crew.

Just did a quick search and found this: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Evga-GTX_660_Ti-GeForc...

So it's going to have Kepler?! Nice...and since it's close to the 670 I should be able to overclock it where it will be the same or even better?!?
m
l
Anonymous
August 4, 2012 4:43:00 AM

lose the 750 watt PSU, way overkill and you can get cheaper RAM that is as good.
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $43.99
XFX Core Edition PRO550W $74.99
$64.99 after mail-in rebate card

$108.98 of $148.98 $40 less
lose the sub par water cooler and get:
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO $34.99

another $35 down total $75 less

lost the flonky "gaming" keyboard and mouse. i doubt that one is really any better than what you can get from best buy for $20

another $30 off total $105

there.

m
l
August 4, 2012 4:50:46 AM

Anonymous said:
lose the 750 watt PSU, way overkill and you can get cheaper RAM that is as good.
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $43.99
XFX Core Edition PRO550W $74.99
$64.99 after mail-in rebate card

$108.98 of $148.98 $40 less
lose the sub par water cooler and get:
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO $34.99

another $35 down total $75 less

lost the flonky "gaming" keyboard and mouse. i doubt that one is really any better than what you can get from best buy for $20

another $30 off total $105

there.

Well I was going for the 750 watt PSU because I might end up doing SLI some where down the road and that Heatsink is HUGE!! Can that fit in a mid tower? The Memory on the other hand I do like...thanks for that!
m
l
Anonymous
August 4, 2012 5:00:42 AM

CagedAlchemist said:
Well I was going for the 750 watt PSU because I might end up doing SLI some where down the road and that Heatsink is HUGE!! Can that fit in a mid tower? The Memory on the other hand I do like...thanks for that!

a 120mm fan. looks like 30mm on each side for 180mm. subtract a few mm for the metal and 160mm heatsink should fit.
full review:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/NZXT-Phantom-410...

if you can find a good 650 watt PSU that is plenty to sli 670s.
m
l
August 4, 2012 5:01:44 AM

The heatsink should be fine, but you probably need low profile RAM so it works. You should just keep the 750w, since you're going to sli. Going down will not save you much money.
m
l
Anonymous
August 4, 2012 5:19:38 AM

CagedAlchemist said:
Thanks for the articles and it seems to me that the 660ti is still no where close to beating the 670, or am I wrong?

beating? no but a good bang for the buck . .really two in the hand is worth ??? in the bush

cheapest quality PSU to handle a 670 SLI set up

XFX Core Edition PRO650W $85.99
$75.99 after mail-in rebate card

so between the G.Skill ram (low profile) and that its $30 less and not $40 from that combo deal.
m
l
August 4, 2012 5:28:30 AM

CagedAlchemist said:
Thanks for the articles and it seems to me that the 660ti is still no where close to beating the 670, or am I wrong?

1. It's not out yet so tweaktown could easily be off from the final product

2. For $100 less it's pretty damn close.
m
l
Anonymous
August 4, 2012 5:34:32 AM

Patflute said:

ah, that is not speculation but benchmarks of an actual card. TT loves to get under nVidias skin since they feel slighted by not getting prerelease samples from them anymore since they broke an NDA agreement.
m
l
August 4, 2012 5:35:04 AM

Patflute said:

This is true, some other brands might have a different default clock. Well anyways the most I would be doing with this build is home media and games...games like Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Metro 2033, etc. So I want something that's going to give me hours of smooth gameplay.
m
l
August 4, 2012 5:53:54 AM

Anonymous said:
beating? no but a good bang for the buck . .really two in the hand is worth ??? in the bush

cheapest quality PSU to handle a 670 SLI set up

XFX Core Edition PRO650W $85.99
$75.99 after mail-in rebate card

so between the G.Skill ram (low profile) and that its $30 less and not $40 from that combo deal.

Well it's down almost $103 bucks now, if I do get that 660ti instead of the 670 I would be just over 1300...I'll hold off a week or two after it comes out to see some more benchmarks.
m
l
August 4, 2012 3:36:02 PM

How does getting rid of the SSD and getting a Western Digital VelociRaptor sound?
m
l
Anonymous
August 4, 2012 5:25:44 PM

the velociraptors are great for a scratch disk for video editors, a pretty small market segment. but as a replacement for an SSD not really. you would better better off dropping the SSD and getting one later then.
m
l
Anonymous
August 4, 2012 5:41:57 PM

nekulturny said:
Wait for real benches to come out from reputable sites. I take those "leaked" tweaktown benches with a large grain of salt, considering the methods they used to obtain them.

yeah TT is pretty retarded.

now you have me a little paranoid. at first they had the "actual" card in the image and not blacked out. but then covered it up saying it would give away the partner who helped them out. but now that you mentioned it; it did look similar to a freaking 480 . . :heink: 
m
l
August 4, 2012 5:46:09 PM

Anonymous said:
yeah TT is pretty retarded.

now you have me a little paranoid. at first they had the "actual" card in the image and not blacked out. but then covered it up saying it would give away the partner who helped them out. but now that you mentioned it; it did look similar to a freaking 480 . . :heink: 

Yea, I dunno if its 480 or not, but theres just something fishy about that whole cloak and dagger routine. I mean hell, it doesn't take a genius to make up one of those graphs with Microsoft Excel, those numbers could be completely pulled out of their ass.
m
l
Anonymous
August 4, 2012 5:54:31 PM

no heat pipes on top in the "outline"

but where is the PCI slot?

sorry OP for this "side conversation"

methinks my nVidia fanbiosism just took a hit :p 
m
l
August 4, 2012 5:58:27 PM

Anonymous said:
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/14-130-552-03.jpg
http://images.tweaktown.com/content/4/8/4869_01_nvidia_geforce_gtx_660_ti_2gb_reference_video_card_review_full.jpg

I don't mind, I'm a Nvidia fan too...and I'm considering on buying it anyways if it shows any progress that is.
m
l
August 4, 2012 6:02:09 PM

CagedAlchemist said:
Okay...umm, do you guys think I should stick with the Phantom or this one that caught my eye.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Up to you. I personally have a black w/ green trim NZXT Phantom, if you want my opinion I'd say the Phantom is an awesome case. Yes you should buy a case of good quality, but anything beyond that is personal preference. At first glance that case looks like its good quality, but you should see if you can find reviews on it to make a final decision.

Anonymous said:
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/14-130-552-03.jpg
http://images.tweaktown.com/content/4/8/4869_01_nvidia_geforce_gtx_660_ti_2gb_reference_video_card_review_full.jpg

lol, well they did claim it was an R&D card didn't they? I'm not really a fanboy of AMD or Nvidia. But it seems to me Tweaktown is doing one of two things:
1. Lying through their teeth.
2. Hiding behind the premise of "not breaking an NDA because they personally never signed an NDA", but at the same time they're by-proxy aiding someone in doing so. If the benches are legit, somebody broke the law.
m
l
Anonymous
August 4, 2012 6:02:56 PM

CagedAlchemist said:
I don't mind, I'm a Nvidia fan too...and I'm considering on buying it anyways if it shows any progress that is.

well the 192 bit memory bus will take a hit at multi monitors and/or higher resolutions.
m
l
August 4, 2012 6:09:14 PM

nekulturny said:
Up to you. I personally have a black w/ green trim NZXT Phantom, if you want my opinion I'd say the Phantom is an awesome case. Yes you should buy a case of good quality, but anything beyond that is personal preference. At first glance that case looks like its good quality, but you should see if you can find reviews on it to make a final decision.

lol, well they did claim it was an R&D card didn't they? I'm not really a fanboy of AMD or Nvidia. But it seems to me Tweaktown is doing one of two things:
1. Lying through their teeth.
2. Hiding behind the premise of "not breaking an NDA because they personally never signed an NDA", but at the same time they're by-proxy aiding someone in doing so. If the benches are legit, somebody broke the law.

Well the White case & Blue LEDs remind me of GLaDOS from Portal, but the other one just looks totally B.A....and Honestly I tend to like Nvidia more because in the past I've had 2 AMD cards just crash on me (Not enough airflow or something, I live in Florida and it tend to get really hot.) and then I have Geforce which has never failed me once.
m
l
August 4, 2012 6:12:56 PM

Anonymous said:
well the 192 bit memory bus will take a hit at multi monitors and/or higher resolutions.

Well remember different brands of cards usually have some different specs too.
m
l
August 4, 2012 6:14:18 PM

CagedAlchemist said:
Well the White case & Blue LEDs remind me of GLaDOS from Portal, but the other one just looks totally B.A....and Honestly I tend to like Nvidia more because in the past I've had 2 AMD cards just crash on me (Not enough airflow or something, I live in Florida and it tend to get really hot.) and then I have Geforce which has never failed me once.

I probably shouldn't tell you about the Nvidia laptop chip they got sued over because they literally melted themselves to death, and they continued to sell them even after they knew about the problem. :lol: 
m
l
August 4, 2012 6:19:15 PM

nekulturny said:
I probably shouldn't tell you about the Nvidia laptop chip they got sued over because they literally melted themselves to death, and they continued to sell them even after they knew about the problem. :lol: 

Which one was that?! I have one in my R.o.G. laptop...It's a GTS 360m.
m
l
August 4, 2012 6:23:46 PM

Geforce 8 series.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/security-central/lawsuit-cla...

I've got one in a Dell XPS laptop that cost almost 4 grand when it was brand new.. I didn't buy the laptop, long story short it was my sisters laptop originally that my mother bought for her. By the time I found out about the lawsuit it was too late to file a claim on it. The GPU is soldered to the motherboard, so the whole board had to be replaced. Nvidia had to buy everyone who filed a claim a brand new laptop.
m
l
August 4, 2012 6:28:57 PM

Phew alright then I bought mine in 2010 so I don't have to worry about that.
m
l
August 4, 2012 7:07:28 PM

The 660Ti will becoming at $250-$300 with BASICALLY the same specs as a GTX 670. * means this is better than the 670.
This is a 660Ti's:
Core Clock: 850MHz
Shader Clock: 1700MHz*
Memory Clock: 2500MHz
Memory Bandwith: 240GB/s*
FLOPS: 2611.2 GFLOPS
Pixel Fill Rate:27200 MPixels/s
Texture Fill Rate: 73100 MTexels/s
It's a pretty badass card compared to the 670 for the price and performance. I highly recommend this card over a 670. Not to mention it also uses less power.
m
l
August 4, 2012 8:11:04 PM

Okay I've been looking at reviews on Newegg and I see people say that it's not Samsung and it's a "Seagate Piece of Crap!" Did I make the wrong choice for a HDD?
m
l
August 4, 2012 8:15:26 PM

Those reviews are a "piece of crap". Don't rely on non-professionals for reviews.
m
l
August 4, 2012 8:24:49 PM

CagedAlchemist said:
Okay I've been looking at reviews on Newegg and I see people say that it's not Samsung and it's a "Seagate Piece of Crap!" Did I make the wrong choice for a HDD?

Every hard drive and Earth fails at times, just get it and make sure you have a 3 year manufacturer warranty. I have a Seagate Momentus XT and it's been working for almost 2 weeks.
m
l
August 12, 2012 6:09:27 PM

Well Just saw this today...and you know I'm still not certain if I should get the 660ti or not....because it has the 192-bit bus that kind of just kills it performance wise.
m
l

Best solution

August 12, 2012 6:13:48 PM

CagedAlchemist said:
Well Just saw this today...and you know I'm still not certain if I should get the 660ti or not....because it has the 192-bit bus that kind of just kills it performance wise.

Well, something else I noticed since I last posted in this thread. So theres a number 3 to my list.

If you look at the driver version they listed they used benches on the AMD cards with Catalyst 12.4. AMD is currently using 12.7, and it was indeed available to TweakTown at the time they ran their benches on the 660 TI (if they actually did). 12.7 is the driver version responsible for putting the 7970 back on top of the GTX 670/680s. In theory, the driver update should have a trickle down effect to all the AMD 7xxx series cards. What this means is, TweakTowns 660 TI benches make it look better than it actually is against the AMD cards.

See here:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6025/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-e...

Wait for a reputable site to run a proper bench before pulling the trigger.
August 12, 2012 6:44:40 PM

nekulturny said:
Well, something else I noticed since I last posted in this thread. So theres a number 3 to my list.

If you look at the driver version they listed they used benches on the AMD cards with Catalyst 12.4. AMD is currently using 12.7, and it was indeed available to TweakTown at the time they ran their benches on the 660 TI (if they actually did). 12.7 is the driver version responsible for putting the 7970 back on top of the GTX 670/680s. In theory, the driver update should have a trickle down effect to all the AMD 7xxx series cards. What this means is, TweakTowns 660 TI benches make it look better than it actually is against the AMD cards.

See here:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6025/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-e...

Wait for a reputable site to run a proper bench before pulling the trigger.

Well I'm probably not buying anything till September anyways so I've got time to wait...and I'm hoping for a review from Motherboards.org because that's where frequently check.
m
l
August 12, 2012 6:54:52 PM

Best answer selected by CagedAlchemist.
m
l
August 12, 2012 7:02:12 PM

Yea, by then, Anandntech and Tom's should have benches on the 660 TI, so you're good. Never heard of motherboards.org, I'll have to give em a look.
m
l
August 12, 2012 7:08:59 PM

nekulturny said:
Yea, by then, Anandntech and Tom's should have benches on the 660 TI, so you're good. Never heard of motherboards.org, I'll have to give em a look.

Motherboards.org does reviews and benchmarks on all the latest hardware be it Video cards, Motherboards, HDD, SSD, Processors, Cases, etc. He also have a Youtube channel where he puts up all his video reviews, and apparently next week when the 660ti comes out he's doing a giveaway.
m
l
August 13, 2012 12:37:46 AM

motherboards.org doesn't blink.
m
l
August 13, 2012 9:34:04 AM

Patflute said:
motherboards.org doesn't blink.

Doesn't blink, what?
m
l
August 13, 2012 6:32:06 PM

CagedAlchemist said:
Doesn't blink, what?

He doesn't blink.
m
l
August 13, 2012 6:33:20 PM

Translates: "He doesn't miss a thing" (in relation to details about product performance)
m
l
August 13, 2012 6:38:55 PM

You know it would have been easier to just say that than trying to be fancy/cryptic.
m
l
August 13, 2012 6:43:00 PM

You're on a forum populated by computer nerds, present company included. You should expect cryptic talk, frequent sarcasm and occasional nerd raging. I actually understood what he was saying right away, it wasn't that cryptic lol.
m
l
August 13, 2012 6:56:36 PM

I'm a Computer Nerd too, I know a lot more about computer than most people I know...I asking on here because I want to know if I'm getting the right bang for my buck.
m
l
August 13, 2012 6:57:56 PM

Well, so far so good, it remains to be seen of course if the 660 TI is going to be a good value for the money. As long as motherboards.org runs the benches on it against AMD cards with 12.7 drivers, you should get an accurate rating from them.
m
l
!