Scvhost is attacking me :<

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
a computer i just tossed together I believe most parts where an old emachine.
I put windows 7 on it and Svchost comes up. 2 actually both consuming 40+% of the cpu and spiking higher sometimes.
I reinstalled windows 7 on it same thing.

I am installing windows from a usb drive.

What the hell causes svchost to act like this on a fresh install?
Why is windows so gd crappy a Fresh install turns out like this? is installing from the usb drive causing this?
It had windows Vista on it before i believe so i'm really lost as to why it's doing this now.

the one Svchost Only shows Power/plugandplay as it's 2 services. soooooooooooooooooooooooo, yeah that concerned me a bit.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Are you using a pirated version of windows 7? There are viruses that will use svchost.exe since windows uses several of them and they let you have duplicates of the name. If it's a legit copy of windows 7, you might have the virus on the usb drive.

what a svchost.exe file is is a program that was in .dll format that needs a body in order to be executed. they are usually for basic windows programs but malicious viruses can also use them to execute a .dll file in order to create a problem in the computer.

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
It's legit from my main disc. I just rewind the clock and don't install any updates. this computer is only for downloading. Cause I'm an MMO gamer and sometimes there's major patchs 10gb + makes it easier to have a computer for downloading. then i just copy the files to my computer and my gf's computer saves a ton of time. (I prefer not leaving my computer on.)
I formatted Hd and that didn't help either. would a secure erase get rid of a virus on the HD?

what is reaaally confusing I tested this by installing it to a Virtual box thing and it worked 100% fine. Nothing went wrong at all. It's only when i use this other computer. I thought that was strange..

Trust me I tried ubuntu Nvidia GPUs do not agree with that os apparently it would never load up everytime i installed the drivers. When i didn't install them it was still glitchy sometimes i'd boot up this comp and it wouldn't get past a cannot do this resolution or something like that.

Maybe I should just try Linux on this computer. Does linuxmint have any of the issues like ubuntu with the Nvidia graphics?

think it would be worth getting one of the free Test copies of windows 8? assuming there still available?

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
well i went through some digging and found my original disc. I installed that disc on to the computer and I am getting the exact same issue...............................
so apparently either the Boot drive was infected or the bios or whatever the other viruses are. UGh this is annoying as hell..
But, i decided im not even going to care. I can just drop down the things to low on the task manager for cpu resources.

Well BIOS virus are so rare as to be non existent. Fact is a few years ago there was a scare with virus's effecting the BIOS but in order for them to work they had to be programed for each individual mainboard make/model. They faded out very fast and really only maid it as far as a prof of concept.

As far as a boot sector virus that can be fixed by removing the partition and reformatting when you install Windows 7.
It's legit from my main disc. I just rewind the clock and don't install any updates.
Bad bad bad! Windows updates contain a lot of fix's that may be the real cause of your problem. Install them you might find your problems go away.

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

>..> I'm doing the updates now and seeing if it fixes the issue. I had pondered about the updates solving it but wasn't really sure. soon find out though.