Choosing first GPU...

supedaw

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Hi all

I'm looking at boosting my GPU power for some pretty mid range gaming. Dont need unbelievable perfect graphics but would like to run some higher end games pretty compitantly, though I've never done it before and trying to work out everything can be pretty confusing.
I'm looking at an ATI Radeon HD 6850, its within my price range and as far as I can tell pretty much what I need (If there are better options though, feel free to correct me!)
I've a feeling my motherboard, a Asus P8H61-M LE/USB3 Basic Micro ATX Motherboard, will be limiting me a bit here though, some advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
I'd be willing to stretch to a new motherboard if it was worth it though I havnt got a clue where to start.
All this running with an Intel i-1500k at 3.3 GHz by the way!

Thanks very much for any help on this!

Keanu Reeves

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
If you plan to overclock the 6850 a little bit, I'd stick with that. If the last sentence sounded like French to you, get a 6870. It's $20 more and provides a bit better performance.

+1

HD 6870 = best price/performance currently

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Also you may want to shy away from an H61 based board as the huge overclocking potential of the 25k will be lost.
Also check if the 3rd generation intel cores are that much more expensive, the i5 3570k is the new sweet spot, 25k is already "outdated."
Also if you are feeling a little ballsy the gtx 480 is sooper cheap these days.... However it eats energy like a first world country and puts out heat like Quatar.