Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU Upgrade!

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 18, 2012 5:21:01 PM

These are my current specs

AMD 955@3.8ghz
Gygabyte MA790XT-UD4P
Sapphire 7950 Vapor x OC @ 1100mhz/1575mhz
OCZ Platinum 4gb DDR3
PC P&C 750W
Xigmatek Dark Knight
Antec 300

I play alot of MP BF3 and my CPU about 3.5 years old and is seriously holding me back.

To make things more clearly here are 3 options I'm considering

1) Keep motherboard, get a new AMD CPU (Will my motherboard support AM3+?, if not either option 2 or 3) My motherboard was a very good one at the time I bought it I hope it supports AM3+
2) New motherboard and new AMD CPU
3) New motherboard and new Intel CPU

I recently purchused a 7950 and I thought that would be a good enough upgrade but I guess not and I hate to having to go out and buy even more parts -.-.

I dont have budget limit but I'd like to spend as little as I can I also dont want to buy something thats substantially more expensive but only a little bit better, basically I want bank for buck.
I would like to be able to run BF 3 multiplayer @ 1920x1080/ultra/4xmaa at 60fps+
If I do have to get a new mobo I would like to get the balance right, for example rather than buying expensive CPU and cheap mobo, if I can buy a cheaper CPU and a more expensive mobo but as a result of that I can overclock that CPU more because of this more expensive mobo so that I would get more performance for less money; if that makes sense.

Sorry for so much text and thanks in advance.

More about : cpu upgrade

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 18, 2012 7:18:19 PM

Hi mate , sorry your motherboard doesn't support AM3+ socked AMD CPU's. And I'd go with option 3. I'd get with the Intel 3rd Generation Core i7-3770K CPU & AsRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard
December 18, 2012 7:25:50 PM

ihsaan96 said:
Hi mate , sorry your motherboard doesn't support AM3+ socked AMD CPU's. And I'd go with option 3. I'd get with the Intel 3rd Generation Core i7-3770K CPU & AsRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard


Thanks for the reply.
That cpu is about 260 pounds and mobo is 105 pounds, pretty expensive. I was planning on getting a cpu for under 200 pounds and a mobo for about 50pounds.
Related resources
a c 141 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b À AMD
December 18, 2012 7:30:14 PM

how much is an i5-3570k there?
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 18, 2012 9:11:21 PM

for a board around 50 pounds... your looking at H61 dude
December 18, 2012 9:15:55 PM

Rockdpm said:
for a board around 50 pounds... your looking at H61 dude


Is that so terrible? lol
a c 141 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b À AMD
December 18, 2012 10:02:25 PM

Theres a z68 and z77 bd on scan in the L50-56 range that might be worth researching.
December 18, 2012 10:44:00 PM

So, should I get a i5-3570k or a i5-2500K , i5-2500K is 10 pounds less than i5-3570k, also which mobo should I get ( looking for one about 50 pounds and with come OC cababilitys)
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 10:47:37 PM

The 2500K overclocks better.. Depends if you're an overclocker or not!
December 18, 2012 10:54:13 PM

payturr said:
The 2500K overclocks better.. Depends if you're an overclocker or not!


Yes I am, I have a Xigmatek Dark Knight heatsink cooler, and at the moment I have cpu from 3,2 to 3.8 and gpu from 950 to 1100
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 11:03:12 PM

K1ash3r said:
Yes I am, I have a Xigmatek Dark Knight heatsink cooler, and at the moment I have cpu from 3,2 to 3.8 and gpu from 950 to 1100

Go with the 2500K - it overclocks higher at a lower temp compared to the 3570K.
December 19, 2012 12:23:03 AM

payturr said:
Go with the 2500K - it overclocks higher at a lower temp compared to the 3570K.


Yes ok but doesnt motheboard also direct how far you can overclock a CPU, so for example which motehrboard would give me a decent overclock
a b à CPUs
December 19, 2012 2:57:05 AM

K1ash3r said:
Yes ok but doesnt motheboard also direct how far you can overclock a CPU, so for example which motehrboard would give me a decent overclock


unless you are going for a 5 ghz overclock no. the only thing you need is a p67/z68/z77 board.
December 19, 2012 10:28:39 AM

cbrunnem said:
unless you are going for a 5 ghz overclock no. the only thing you need is a p67/z68/z77 board.


Ok, thanks will my Ram fit into this motherboard?
!