Wrong icon in Folders Bar...

I installed a second hard drive in my WinXP SP2 machine (primary slave).
Works fine, but the Folders Bar icon being displayed is that for portable
storage device, not the one for a Local Disk. How do I change it? I thought
Tweak UI might be a solution, but it isn't. Tweak UI for Win98 had a way to
customize those icons, but Tweak UI for WinXP doesn't offer that. Anybody
know how I can fix the icon?

Mark
21 answers Last reply
More about wrong icon folders

    Hi Mark.

    Set the system to show hidden and system folders. Go to the Control
    Panel - Folder Options, and on the View tab, set the options so you
    can see
    hidden and system files. Click OK.

    Look for a file named autorun.inf in the root of C:\ and delete it.

    Reboot the system.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Mark wrote:
    > I installed a second hard drive in my WinXP SP2 machine
    > (primary slave). Works fine, but the Folders Bar icon
    > being displayed is that for portable storage device, not
    > the one for a Local Disk. How do I change it? I thought
    > Tweak UI might be a solution, but it isn't. Tweak UI for
    > Win98 had a way to customize those icons, but Tweak UI
    > for WinXP doesn't offer that. Anybody know how I can fix
    > the icon?
    > Mark

    Thanks, Bert. I ran a search for file name autorun.inf in C:\ and query
    returned: "There were no files found..." (?)

    Mark

    "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi Mark.
    >
    > Set the system to show hidden and system folders. Go to the Control
    > Panel - Folder Options, and on the View tab, set the options so you can
    > see
    > hidden and system files. Click OK.
    >
    > Look for a file named autorun.inf in the root of C:\ and delete it.
    >
    > Reboot the system.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >
    > Mark wrote:
    >> I installed a second hard drive in my WinXP SP2 machine
    >> (primary slave). Works fine, but the Folders Bar icon
    >> being displayed is that for portable storage device, not
    >> the one for a Local Disk. How do I change it? I thought
    >> Tweak UI might be a solution, but it isn't. Tweak UI for
    >> Win98 had a way to customize those icons, but Tweak UI
    >> for WinXP doesn't offer that. Anybody know how I can fix
    >> the icon?
    >> Mark

    Try the registry tweak in the following article.
    Incorrect or generic Windows icon displayed for a Drive in My Computer
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/driveicon.htm
    --

    Mark wrote:
    > Thanks, Bert. I ran a search for file name autorun.inf in
    > C:\ and query returned: "There were no files found..." (?)
    >
    > Mark
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote
    >> Hi Mark.
    >>
    >> Set the system to show hidden and system folders. Go to
    >> the Control Panel - Folder Options, and on the View tab,
    >> set the options so you can see
    >> hidden and system files. Click OK.
    >>
    >> Look for a file named autorun.inf in the root of C:\ and delete
    >> it. Reboot the system.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> Mark wrote:
    >>> I installed a second hard drive in my WinXP SP2 machine
    >>> (primary slave). Works fine, but the Folders Bar icon
    >>> being displayed is that for portable storage device, not
    >>> the one for a Local Disk. How do I change it? I thought
    >>> Tweak UI might be a solution, but it isn't. Tweak UI for
    >>> Win98 had a way to customize those icons, but Tweak UI
    >>> for WinXP doesn't offer that. Anybody know how I can fix
    >>> the icon?
    >>> Mark

    Bert,

    I tried the Registry tweak you directed me to. Via Regedit.exe, I navigated
    to:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\G\DefaultIcon.
    (G being the correct drive for the second HD).

    I found this data value:

    %SystemRoot%\system32\diconxp.dll,0

    I changed the “0” at the end to a 1, then a 2, then a 3 and so on… It
    changed the icon each time, but not to the correct icon. I think I need a
    list of what numbers = which icons. Where could I find this?

    Thanks in advance

    > Try the registry tweak in the following article.
    > Incorrect or generic Windows icon displayed for a Drive in My Computer
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/driveicon.htm
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >

    > Mark wrote:
    >> Thanks, Bert. I ran a search for file name autorun.inf in
    >> C:\ and query returned: "There were no files found..." (?)
    >>
    >> Mark
    >>
    >> "Bert Kinney" wrote
    >>> Hi Mark.
    >>>
    >>> Set the system to show hidden and system folders. Go to
    >>> the Control Panel - Folder Options, and on the View tab,
    >>> set the options so you can see
    >>> hidden and system files. Click OK.
    >>>
    >>> Look for a file named autorun.inf in the root of C:\ and delete it.
    >>> Reboot the system.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>> http://dts-l.org/

    Try deleting it or uninstall your custom icon program.

    "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message news:u4Qge.14320$941.1793@trnddc08...
    > Bert,
    >
    > I tried the Registry tweak you directed me to. Via Regedit.exe, I navigated
    > to:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\G\DefaultIcon.
    > (G being the correct drive for the second HD).
    >
    > I found this data value:
    >
    > %SystemRoot%\system32\diconxp.dll,0
    >
    > I changed the “0” at the end to a 1, then a 2, then a 3 and so on… It
    > changed the icon each time, but not to the correct icon. I think I need a
    > list of what numbers = which icons. Where could I find this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Mark
    >

    > "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Try the registry tweak in the following article.
    >> Incorrect or generic Windows icon displayed for a Drive in My Computer
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/driveicon.htm
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> Mark wrote:
    >>> Thanks, Bert. I ran a search for file name autorun.inf in
    >>> C:\ and query returned: "There were no files found..." (?)
    >>>
    >>> Mark
    >>>
    >>> "Bert Kinney" wrote

    Dave,

    I can put in a value that gives me no icon at all; I'm looking for the
    correct icon, or at least, an appropriate icon... And I do not have a custom
    icon program.

    Mark

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    Try deleting it or uninstall your custom icon program.

    "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Bert,
    >
    > I tried the Registry tweak you directed me to. Via Regedit.exe, I
    > navigated
    > to:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\G\DefaultIcon.
    > (G being the correct drive for the second HD).
    >
    > I found this data value:
    >
    > %SystemRoot%\system32\diconxp.dll,0
    >
    > I changed the “0” at the end to a 1, then a 2, then a 3 and so on… It
    > changed the icon each time, but not to the correct icon. I think I need a
    > list of what numbers = which icons. Where could I find this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Mark
    >

    > "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Try the registry tweak in the following article.
    >> Incorrect or generic Windows icon displayed for a Drive in My Computer
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/driveicon.htm
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> Mark wrote:
    >>> Thanks, Bert. I ran a search for file name autorun.inf in
    >>> C:\ and query returned: "There were no files found..." (?)
    >>>
    >>> Mark
    >>>
    >>> "Bert Kinney" wrote

    Delete it then or remove the program that added the key.

    "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message news:Px0he.22888$Fn1.1587@trnddc03...
    > Dave,
    >
    > I can put in a value that gives me no icon at all; I'm looking for the
    > correct icon, or at least, an appropriate icon... And I do not have a custom
    > icon program.
    >
    > Mark
    >
    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Try deleting it or uninstall your custom icon program.

    > "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> Bert,
    >>
    >> I tried the Registry tweak you directed me to. Via Regedit.exe, I
    >> navigated
    >> to:
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\G\DefaultIcon.
    >> (G being the correct drive for the second HD).
    >>
    >> I found this data value:
    >>
    >> %SystemRoot%\system32\diconxp.dll,0
    >>
    >> I changed the “0” at the end to a 1, then a 2, then a 3 and so on… It
    >> changed the icon each time, but not to the correct icon. I think I need a
    >> list of what numbers = which icons. Where could I find this?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> Mark
    >>

    >> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Try the registry tweak in the following article.
    >>> Incorrect or generic Windows icon displayed for a Drive in My Computer
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/driveicon.htm
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>> http://dts-l.org/

    Thanks David.

    When you say delete it, do you mean delete the line:
    "%SystemRoot%\system32\diconxp.dll,0" or what? I'm not real keen to the
    underlying of Windows and the Registry but I'm trying; Again, there is no
    program that added the key. There is no custom icon program. I simply added
    an additional HD (Plug and Play) and Windows decided it wanted to display an
    oddball icon in the (left side) Explorer Folder Bar. I understand how to
    navigate to this registry key, but I don't know the number(s) or data value
    to enter there in order to make the Folder Bar display the appropriate

    Delete it then or remove the program that added the key.

    "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Dave,
    >
    > I can put in a value that gives me no icon at all; I'm looking for the
    > correct icon, or at least, an appropriate icon... And I do not have a
    > custom
    > icon program.
    >
    > Mark
    >
    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Try deleting it or uninstall your custom icon program.

    > "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> Bert,
    >>
    >> I tried the Registry tweak you directed me to. Via Regedit.exe, I
    >> navigated
    >> to:
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\G\DefaultIcon.
    >> (G being the correct drive for the second HD).
    >>
    >> I found this data value:
    >>
    >> %SystemRoot%\system32\diconxp.dll,0
    >>
    >> I changed the “0” at the end to a 1, then a 2, then a 3 and so on… It
    >> changed the icon each time, but not to the correct icon. I think I need a
    >> list of what numbers = which icons. Where could I find this?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> Mark
    >>

    >> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Try the registry tweak in the following article.
    >>> Incorrect or generic Windows icon displayed for a Drive in My Computer
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/driveicon.htm
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>> http://dts-l.org/

    There is no key present by default. If you don't have a custom icon program then what is that file you referenced (diconxp.dll). I mean the whole key DriveIcons (or the drive letter if you want some drives to have a special icon). But I put it to you, isn't the facts of the matter is that it is likely diconxp.dll is responsible for adding the key?

    No key present it will use standard icon. I would try to find the program responsible for diconxp.dll and use that.

    "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message news:uiahe.1565$x85.767@trnddc01...
    > Thanks David.
    >
    > When you say delete it, do you mean delete the line:
    > "%SystemRoot%\system32\diconxp.dll,0" or what? I'm not real keen to the
    > underlying of Windows and the Registry but I'm trying; Again, there is no
    > program that added the key. There is no custom icon program. I simply added
    > an additional HD (Plug and Play) and Windows decided it wanted to display an
    > oddball icon in the (left side) Explorer Folder Bar. I understand how to
    > navigate to this registry key, but I don't know the number(s) or data value
    > to enter there in order to make the Folder Bar display the appropriate
    > icon...
    >
    > Mark
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Delete it then or remove the program that added the key.

    > "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> Dave,
    >>
    >> I can put in a value that gives me no icon at all; I'm looking for the
    >> correct icon, or at least, an appropriate icon... And I do not have a
    >> custom
    >> icon program.
    >>
    >> Mark
    >>
    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> Try deleting it or uninstall your custom icon program.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> Bert,
    >>>
    >>> I tried the Registry tweak you directed me to. Via Regedit.exe, I
    >>> navigated
    >>> to:
    >>>
    >>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\G\DefaultIcon.
    >>> (G being the correct drive for the second HD).
    >>>
    >>> I found this data value:
    >>>
    >>> %SystemRoot%\system32\diconxp.dll,0
    >>>
    >>> I changed the “0” at the end to a 1, then a 2, then a 3 and so on… It
    >>> changed the icon each time, but not to the correct icon. I think I need a
    >>> list of what numbers = which icons. Where could I find this?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance
    >>>
    >>> Mark
    >>>

    >>> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I have no idea what the file diconxp.dll is or what it means. Your clue "no
    key present it will use standard icon" was the ticket. I deleted the key so
    now there is "no value" in the data column and that restored the correct,
    original HD icon.

    Thanks! Good job!

    There is no key present by default. If you don't have a custom icon program
    then what is that file you referenced (diconxp.dll). I mean the whole key
    DriveIcons (or the drive letter if you want some drives to have a special
    icon). But I put it to you, isn't the facts of the matter is that it is
    likely diconxp.dll is responsible for adding the key?

    No key present it will use standard icon. I would try to find the program
    responsible for diconxp.dll and use that.

    "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks David.
    >
    > When you say delete it, do you mean delete the line:
    > "%SystemRoot%\system32\diconxp.dll,0" or what? I'm not real keen to the
    > underlying of Windows and the Registry but I'm trying; Again, there is no
    > program that added the key. There is no custom icon program. I simply
    > added
    > an additional HD (Plug and Play) and Windows decided it wanted to display
    > an
    > oddball icon in the (left side) Explorer Folder Bar. I understand how to
    > navigate to this registry key, but I don't know the number(s) or data
    > value
    > to enter there in order to make the Folder Bar display the appropriate
    > icon...
    >
    > Mark
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Delete it then or remove the program that added the key.

    > "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> Dave,
    >>
    >> I can put in a value that gives me no icon at all; I'm looking for the
    >> correct icon, or at least, an appropriate icon... And I do not have a
    >> custom
    >> icon program.
    >>
    >> Mark
    >>
    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> Try deleting it or uninstall your custom icon program.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> Bert,
    >>>
    >>> I tried the Registry tweak you directed me to. Via Regedit.exe, I
    >>> navigated
    >>> to:
    >>>
    >>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\G\DefaultIcon.
    >>> (G being the correct drive for the second HD).
    >>>
    >>> I found this data value:
    >>>
    >>> %SystemRoot%\system32\diconxp.dll,0
    >>>
    >>> I changed the “0” at the end to a 1, then a 2, then a 3 and so on… It
    >>> changed the icon each time, but not to the correct icon. I think I need
    >>> list of what numbers = which icons. Where could I find this?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance
    >>>
    >>> Mark
    >>>

    >>> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Mark,

    Want to view the list of installed programs?
    http://billsway.com/vbspage/ShowScript.asp?tgt=txtfiles/InstalledPrograms.txt

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    >I have no idea what the file diconxp.dll is or what it means. Your clue "no
    >key present it will use standard icon" was the ticket. I deleted the key so
    >now there is "no value" in the data column and that restored the correct,
    >original HD icon.
    >
    > Thanks! Good job!
    >
    > Mark
    >
    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > There is no key present by default. If you don't have a custom icon
    > program then what is that file you referenced (diconxp.dll). I mean the
    > whole key DriveIcons (or the drive letter if you want some drives to have
    > a special icon). But I put it to you, isn't the facts of the matter is
    > that it is likely diconxp.dll is responsible for adding the key?
    >
    > No key present it will use standard icon. I would try to find the program
    > responsible for diconxp.dll and use that.
    >
    > "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> Thanks David.
    >>
    >> When you say delete it, do you mean delete the line:
    >> "%SystemRoot%\system32\diconxp.dll,0" or what? I'm not real keen to the
    >> underlying of Windows and the Registry but I'm trying; Again, there is no
    >> program that added the key. There is no custom icon program. I simply
    >> added
    >> an additional HD (Plug and Play) and Windows decided it wanted to display
    >> an
    >> oddball icon in the (left side) Explorer Folder Bar. I understand how to
    >> navigate to this registry key, but I don't know the number(s) or data
    >> value
    >> to enter there in order to make the Folder Bar display the appropriate
    >> icon...
    >>
    >> Mark
    >>

    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> Delete it then or remove the program that added the key.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> Dave,
    >>>
    >>> I can put in a value that gives me no icon at all; I'm looking for the
    >>> correct icon, or at least, an appropriate icon... And I do not have a
    >>> custom
    >>> icon program.
    >>>
    >>> Mark
    >>>
    >>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >>> Try deleting it or uninstall your custom icon program.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Ramesh, Thanks.

    http://billsway.com/vbspage/ShowScript.asp?tgt=txtfiles/InstalledPrograms.txt
    is too complicated for me. I'm an advanced user, but not an expert user...

    Mark

    > Mark,
    >
    > Want to view the list of installed programs?
    > http://billsway.com/vbspage/ShowScript.asp?tgt=txtfiles/InstalledPrograms.txt
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>I have no idea what the file diconxp.dll is or what it means. Your clue
    >>"no key present it will use standard icon" was the ticket. I deleted the
    >>key so now there is "no value" in the data column and that restored the
    >>correct, original HD icon.
    >>
    >> Thanks! Good job!
    >>
    >> Mark
    >>
    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> There is no key present by default. If you don't have a custom icon
    >> program then what is that file you referenced (diconxp.dll). I mean the
    >> whole key DriveIcons (or the drive letter if you want some drives to have
    >> a special icon). But I put it to you, isn't the facts of the matter is
    >> that it is likely diconxp.dll is responsible for adding the key?
    >>
    >> No key present it will use standard icon. I would try to find the program
    >> responsible for diconxp.dll and use that.
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks David.
    >>>
    >>> When you say delete it, do you mean delete the line:
    >>> "%SystemRoot%\system32\diconxp.dll,0" or what? I'm not real keen to the
    >>> underlying of Windows and the Registry but I'm trying; Again, there is
    >>> no
    >>> program that added the key. There is no custom icon program. I simply
    >>> added
    >>> an additional HD (Plug and Play) and Windows decided it wanted to
    >>> display an
    >>> oddball icon in the (left side) Explorer Folder Bar. I understand how to
    >>> navigate to this registry key, but I don't know the number(s) or data
    >>> value
    >>> to enter there in order to make the Folder Bar display the appropriate
    >>> icon...
    >>>
    >>> Mark
    >>>

    >>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >>> Delete it then or remove the program that added the key.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    You need to find out why you allowed diconxp is on your computer. Your problem isn't fixed. You only fixed the symptom. Right click the file and see what the Properties say.

    "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message news:_Blhe.3975$Y12.1859@trnddc09...
    >I have no idea what the file diconxp.dll is or what it means. Your clue "no
    > key present it will use standard icon" was the ticket. I deleted the key so
    > now there is "no value" in the data column and that restored the correct,
    > original HD icon.
    >
    > Thanks! Good job!
    >
    > Mark
    >
    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > There is no key present by default. If you don't have a custom icon program
    > then what is that file you referenced (diconxp.dll). I mean the whole key
    > DriveIcons (or the drive letter if you want some drives to have a special
    > icon). But I put it to you, isn't the facts of the matter is that it is
    > likely diconxp.dll is responsible for adding the key?
    >
    > No key present it will use standard icon. I would try to find the program
    > responsible for diconxp.dll and use that.
    >
    > "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> Thanks David.
    >>
    >> When you say delete it, do you mean delete the line:
    >> "%SystemRoot%\system32\diconxp.dll,0" or what? I'm not real keen to the
    >> underlying of Windows and the Registry but I'm trying; Again, there is no
    >> program that added the key. There is no custom icon program. I simply
    >> added
    >> an additional HD (Plug and Play) and Windows decided it wanted to display
    >> an
    >> oddball icon in the (left side) Explorer Folder Bar. I understand how to
    >> navigate to this registry key, but I don't know the number(s) or data
    >> value
    >> to enter there in order to make the Folder Bar display the appropriate
    >> icon...
    >>
    >> Mark
    >>

    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> Delete it then or remove the program that added the key.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> Dave,
    >>>
    >>> I can put in a value that gives me no icon at all; I'm looking for the
    >>> correct icon, or at least, an appropriate icon... And I do not have a
    >>> custom
    >>> icon program.
    >>>
    >>> Mark
    >>>
    >>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >>> Try deleting it or uninstall your custom icon program.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    diconxp.dll Properties:

    Type of File: Application Extension
    Opens with: Notepad
    Location: C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Size: 216 KB (221,184 bytes)

    (?)

    You need to find out why you allowed diconxp is on your computer. Your
    problem isn't fixed. You only fixed the symptom. Right click the file and
    see what the Properties say.

    "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >I have no idea what the file diconxp.dll is or what it means. Your clue "no
    > key present it will use standard icon" was the ticket. I deleted the key
    > so
    > now there is "no value" in the data column and that restored the correct,
    > original HD icon.
    >
    > Thanks! Good job!
    >
    > Mark
    >
    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > There is no key present by default. If you don't have a custom icon
    > program
    > then what is that file you referenced (diconxp.dll). I mean the whole key
    > DriveIcons (or the drive letter if you want some drives to have a special
    > icon). But I put it to you, isn't the facts of the matter is that it is
    > likely diconxp.dll is responsible for adding the key?
    >
    > No key present it will use standard icon. I would try to find the program
    > responsible for diconxp.dll and use that.
    >
    > "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> Thanks David.
    >>
    >> When you say delete it, do you mean delete the line:
    >> "%SystemRoot%\system32\diconxp.dll,0" or what? I'm not real keen to the
    >> underlying of Windows and the Registry but I'm trying; Again, there is no
    >> program that added the key. There is no custom icon program. I simply
    >> added
    >> an additional HD (Plug and Play) and Windows decided it wanted to display
    >> an
    >> oddball icon in the (left side) Explorer Folder Bar. I understand how to
    >> navigate to this registry key, but I don't know the number(s) or data
    >> value
    >> to enter there in order to make the Folder Bar display the appropriate
    >> icon...
    >>
    >> Mark
    >>

    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> Delete it then or remove the program that added the key.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> Dave,
    >>>
    >>> I can put in a value that gives me no icon at all; I'm looking for the
    >>> correct icon, or at least, an appropriate icon... And I do not have a
    >>> custom
    >>> icon program.
    >>>
    >>> Mark
    >>>
    >>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >>> Try deleting it or uninstall your custom icon program.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Was there a version tab? If not email me the file at david at mvps.org.

    "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message news:R6nhe.11120$qn1.3744@trnddc05...
    > diconxp.dll Properties:
    >
    > Type of File: Application Extension
    > Opens with: Notepad
    > Location: C:\WINDOWS\system32
    > Size: 216 KB (221,184 bytes)
    >
    > (?)
    >
    > Mark
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > You need to find out why you allowed diconxp is on your computer. Your
    > problem isn't fixed. You only fixed the symptom. Right click the file and
    > see what the Properties say.
    >
    > "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>I have no idea what the file diconxp.dll is or what it means. Your clue "no
    >> key present it will use standard icon" was the ticket. I deleted the key
    >> so
    >> now there is "no value" in the data column and that restored the correct,
    >> original HD icon.
    >>
    >> Thanks! Good job!
    >>
    >> Mark
    >>
    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> There is no key present by default. If you don't have a custom icon
    >> program
    >> then what is that file you referenced (diconxp.dll). I mean the whole key
    >> DriveIcons (or the drive letter if you want some drives to have a special
    >> icon). But I put it to you, isn't the facts of the matter is that it is
    >> likely diconxp.dll is responsible for adding the key?
    >>
    >> No key present it will use standard icon. I would try to find the program
    >> responsible for diconxp.dll and use that.
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks David.
    >>>
    >>> When you say delete it, do you mean delete the line:
    >>> "%SystemRoot%\system32\diconxp.dll,0" or what? I'm not real keen to the
    >>> underlying of Windows and the Registry but I'm trying; Again, there is no
    >>> program that added the key. There is no custom icon program. I simply
    >>> added
    >>> an additional HD (Plug and Play) and Windows decided it wanted to display
    >>> an
    >>> oddball icon in the (left side) Explorer Folder Bar. I understand how to
    >>> navigate to this registry key, but I don't know the number(s) or data
    >>> value
    >>> to enter there in order to make the Folder Bar display the appropriate
    >>> icon...
    >>>
    >>> Mark
    >>>

    >>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >>> Delete it then or remove the program that added the key.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    David,

    The file was created: Monday, October 18, 2004

    Under Version Tab:

    Company: Alcor Micro Corp.
    File Version 1.0.0.2

    Was there a version tab? If not email me the file at david at mvps.org.

    "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > diconxp.dll Properties:
    >
    > Type of File: Application Extension
    > Opens with: Notepad
    > Location: C:\WINDOWS\system32
    > Size: 216 KB (221,184 bytes)
    >
    > (?)
    >
    > Mark
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > You need to find out why you allowed diconxp is on your computer. Your
    > problem isn't fixed. You only fixed the symptom. Right click the file and
    > see what the Properties say.
    >
    > "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>I have no idea what the file diconxp.dll is or what it means. Your clue
    >>"no
    >> key present it will use standard icon" was the ticket. I deleted the key
    >> so
    >> now there is "no value" in the data column and that restored the correct,
    >> original HD icon.
    >>
    >> Thanks! Good job!
    >>
    >> Mark
    >>
    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> There is no key present by default. If you don't have a custom icon
    >> program
    >> then what is that file you referenced (diconxp.dll). I mean the whole key
    >> DriveIcons (or the drive letter if you want some drives to have a special
    >> icon). But I put it to you, isn't the facts of the matter is that it is
    >> likely diconxp.dll is responsible for adding the key?
    >>
    >> No key present it will use standard icon. I would try to find the program
    >> responsible for diconxp.dll and use that.
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks David.
    >>>
    >>> When you say delete it, do you mean delete the line:
    >>> "%SystemRoot%\system32\diconxp.dll,0" or what? I'm not real keen to the
    >>> underlying of Windows and the Registry but I'm trying; Again, there is
    >>> no
    >>> program that added the key. There is no custom icon program. I simply
    >>> added
    >>> an additional HD (Plug and Play) and Windows decided it wanted to
    >>> display
    >>> an
    >>> oddball icon in the (left side) Explorer Folder Bar. I understand how to
    >>> navigate to this registry key, but I don't know the number(s) or data
    >>> value
    >>> to enter there in order to make the Folder Bar display the appropriate
    >>> icon...
    >>>
    >>> Mark
    >>>

    >>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >>> Delete it then or remove the program that added the key.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Do you have some external USB thingy. At a guess it came with driver software for some USB device. It's a counter-revolutionary chinese company.
    http://www.alcormicro.com/big5/index.php

    "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message news:6nqhe.161$rI1.84@trnddc02...
    > David,
    >
    > The file was created: Monday, October 18, 2004
    >

    > Under Version Tab:
    >
    > Company: Alcor Micro Corp.
    > File Version 1.0.0.2
    >
    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Was there a version tab? If not email me the file at david at mvps.org.

    > "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> diconxp.dll Properties:
    >>
    >> Type of File: Application Extension
    >> Opens with: Notepad
    >> Location: C:\WINDOWS\system32
    >> Size: 216 KB (221,184 bytes)
    >>
    >> (?)
    >>
    >> Mark
    >>

    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> You need to find out why you allowed diconxp is on your computer. Your
    >> problem isn't fixed. You only fixed the symptom. Right click the file and
    >> see what the Properties say.
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>>I have no idea what the file diconxp.dll is or what it means. Your clue
    >>>"no
    >>> key present it will use standard icon" was the ticket. I deleted the key
    >>> so
    >>> now there is "no value" in the data column and that restored the correct,
    >>> original HD icon.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks! Good job!
    >>>
    >>> Mark
    >>>
    >>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >>> There is no key present by default. If you don't have a custom icon
    >>> program
    >>> then what is that file you referenced (diconxp.dll). I mean the whole key
    >>> DriveIcons (or the drive letter if you want some drives to have a special
    >>> icon). But I put it to you, isn't the facts of the matter is that it is
    >>> likely diconxp.dll is responsible for adding the key?
    >>>
    >>> No key present it will use standard icon. I would try to find the program
    >>> responsible for diconxp.dll and use that.
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Yeah, this things' got more ports than the Atlantic seaboard:

    7 USB 2.0 ports (2 in front; 4 in back; 1 in Media Reader), 1 IEEE 1394 port
    (1 in back), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out...

    Do you have some external USB thingy. At a guess it came with driver
    software for some USB device. It's a counter-revolutionary chinese company.
    http://www.alcormicro.com/big5/index.php

    "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > David,
    >
    > The file was created: Monday, October 18, 2004
    >

    > Under Version Tab:
    >
    > Company: Alcor Micro Corp.
    > File Version 1.0.0.2
    >
    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Was there a version tab? If not email me the file at david at mvps.org.

    > "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> diconxp.dll Properties:
    >>
    >> Type of File: Application Extension
    >> Opens with: Notepad
    >> Location: C:\WINDOWS\system32
    >> Size: 216 KB (221,184 bytes)
    >>
    >> (?)
    >>
    >> Mark
    >>

    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> You need to find out why you allowed diconxp is on your computer. Your
    >> problem isn't fixed. You only fixed the symptom. Right click the file and
    >> see what the Properties say.
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>>I have no idea what the file diconxp.dll is or what it means. Your clue
    >>>"no
    >>> key present it will use standard icon" was the ticket. I deleted the key
    >>> so
    >>> now there is "no value" in the data column and that restored the
    >>> correct,
    >>> original HD icon.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks! Good job!
    >>>
    >>> Mark
    >>>
    >>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >>> There is no key present by default. If you don't have a custom icon
    >>> program
    >>> then what is that file you referenced (diconxp.dll). I mean the whole
    >>> key
    >>> DriveIcons (or the drive letter if you want some drives to have a
    >>> special
    >>> icon). But I put it to you, isn't the facts of the matter is that it is
    >>> likely diconxp.dll is responsible for adding the key?
    >>>
    >>> No key present it will use standard icon. I would try to find the
    >>> program
    >>> responsible for diconxp.dll and use that.
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Possibly the media reader, something with changing icons most likely. G must have been something other than a hard drive at one stage.

    "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message news:rcshe.2422$Iw1.485@trnddc03...
    > Yeah, this things' got more ports than the Atlantic seaboard:
    >
    > 7 USB 2.0 ports (2 in front; 4 in back; 1 in Media Reader), 1 IEEE 1394 port
    > (1 in back), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out...
    >
    > Mark
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Do you have some external USB thingy. At a guess it came with driver
    > software for some USB device. It's a counter-revolutionary chinese company.
    > http://www.alcormicro.com/big5/index.php
    >
    > "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> David,
    >>
    >> The file was created: Monday, October 18, 2004
    >>

    >> Under Version Tab:
    >>
    >> Company: Alcor Micro Corp.
    >> File Version 1.0.0.2
    >>
    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> Was there a version tab? If not email me the file at david at mvps.org.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> diconxp.dll Properties:
    >>>
    >>> Type of File: Application Extension
    >>> Opens with: Notepad
    >>> Location: C:\WINDOWS\system32
    >>> Size: 216 KB (221,184 bytes)
    >>>
    >>> (?)
    >>>
    >>> Mark
    >>>

    >>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >>> You need to find out why you allowed diconxp is on your computer. Your
    >>> problem isn't fixed. You only fixed the symptom. Right click the file and
    >>> see what the Properties say.
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Anyway we have a working theory on what happened and it seems reasonable.

    "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message news:rcshe.2422$Iw1.485@trnddc03...
    > Yeah, this things' got more ports than the Atlantic seaboard:
    >
    > 7 USB 2.0 ports (2 in front; 4 in back; 1 in Media Reader), 1 IEEE 1394 port
    > (1 in back), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out...
    >
    > Mark
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Do you have some external USB thingy. At a guess it came with driver
    > software for some USB device. It's a counter-revolutionary chinese company.
    > http://www.alcormicro.com/big5/index.php
    >
    > "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> David,
    >>
    >> The file was created: Monday, October 18, 2004
    >>

    >> Under Version Tab:
    >>
    >> Company: Alcor Micro Corp.
    >> File Version 1.0.0.2
    >>
    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> Was there a version tab? If not email me the file at david at mvps.org.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> diconxp.dll Properties:
    >>>
    >>> Type of File: Application Extension
    >>> Opens with: Notepad
    >>> Location: C:\WINDOWS\system32
    >>> Size: 216 KB (221,184 bytes)
    >>>
    >>> (?)
    >>>
    >>> Mark
    >>>

    >>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >>> You need to find out why you allowed diconxp is on your computer. Your
    >>> problem isn't fixed. You only fixed the symptom. Right click the file and
    >>> see what the Properties say.
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Yeah, Thanks. I appreciate your interest.

    Anyway we have a working theory on what happened and it seems reasonable.

    "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Yeah, this things' got more ports than the Atlantic seaboard:
    >
    > 7 USB 2.0 ports (2 in front; 4 in back; 1 in Media Reader), 1 IEEE 1394
    > port
    > (1 in back), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out...
    >
    > Mark
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Do you have some external USB thingy. At a guess it came with driver
    > software for some USB device. It's a counter-revolutionary chinese
    > company.
    > http://www.alcormicro.com/big5/index.php
    >
    > "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> David,
    >>
    >> The file was created: Monday, October 18, 2004
    >>

    >> Under Version Tab:
    >>
    >> Company: Alcor Micro Corp.
    >> File Version 1.0.0.2
    >>
    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> Was there a version tab? If not email me the file at david at mvps.org.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> diconxp.dll Properties:
    >>>
    >>> Type of File: Application Extension
    >>> Opens with: Notepad
    >>> Location: C:\WINDOWS\system32
    >>> Size: 216 KB (221,184 bytes)
    >>>
    >>> (?)
    >>>
    >>> Mark
    >>>

    >>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >>> You need to find out why you allowed diconxp is on your computer. Your
    >>> problem isn't fixed. You only fixed the symptom. Right click the file
    >>> and
    >>> see what the Properties say.
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> "Mark" <hodgin@verizon.net> wrote in message

Configuration Microsoft Customization Hard Drives Windows XP