GTX 570 or 7850 (or anythin in range 220-270$)

Temuka

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2012
Hi guys,I'm buying new pc and future GPU will work on Z77 LGA 1155 with i5 3570K and 8gb RAM 1600 DDR3 9-9-9-24 with resolution of monitor 1920x1080

So,I'm wondering which card to take in this price range ? (220-270$)

I found that in this price one of the best are 570GTX and 7850

For example this : http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Mini-HDMI-Lifetime-Warranty-012-P3-1570-AR/dp/B004EHZD5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339615231&sr=8-1

and this: http://www.amazon.com/HD7850-DC2-2GD5-DisplayPort-Utilities-PCI-Express-Graphics/dp/B007JLFV7U/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339615252&sr=1-2

If not these ones,which GPU you advice me to buy ? thanks in advance :)

P.S maybe I'll do sli or crossfire and also maybe overclocking,computer will be used only for games

jeffredo

Distinguished

Faster than the GTX 570? No. Pretty much sits between the two he linked.

Temuka

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2012

don't know yet.... I don't like heat in this card + I need aftermarket cooler and it will cost same as 7850 and even more + I'll need much powerful PSU,so let's wait what other people will say :)

GTX 480 is faster than GTX 570. Don't spread misinformation!

You don't need an aftermarket cooler. It's not that hot and it still has a lot of overclocking potential without aftermarket cooler.

However, even though I agree with the PSU part, I think it's the best bang for your buck right now. You get most performance and save money.

Temuka

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2012
now I'm completely lost... I just need GPU to play on full hd resolution all games on high settings now and in future 2-3 years... 480,570,7850 aaarghhh... :(

the 480 is the best bang for your buck at this price segment... both AMD and Nvidia has more or less neglected this price segment (Nvidia completely, AMD's 7770 shoots too low, and the 7850 is a bit over-priced for what it does). overall the current hierarchy is GTX 690 sits alone at the top, the GTX 670's your best choice 1 step down (it performs too close to the 680 and the 7970 for either of those cards to be truly worth it). the best bang for your buck step down from a 670 is the 480. it can be overclocked to around 580 performance, and only cost $210. True, there's a lot of other cards between $400 and $210, but the performance differences are really small

I'd say between the 670 and the 480, you're cutting your costs in half, and only losing around 25% performance

kinesics

Honorable
May 1, 2012
1 hour before i go home and unbox my 480, convinced by recon-uk to get one..you guys make this heat thing overrated. ill check back in to let yall know how its holding up

Temuka

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2012

OK,but what about 480 vs 7850 ?
And if there's anything MUCH better under 300$,it's ok for me,but I don't think that paying around 70-80$ more for 5% better performance is normal.

You know maybe I'm wrong,but to take in view that 7 series are upcoming in nvidia,480 is like 3 generations lower... But if I will play all games at high settings right now and in future couple years,it's ok for me.

BTW,what about 480vs570 ?

haha recon-uk strikes again XD he really makes a convincing argument for the 480 though, and it's become my favorite card to recommend for people who can't step up to a 7870 ($350), and at that point, I usually tell them to save an extra $50 for a 670

Temuka

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2012

okay,which one you took? maybe you can give amazon link ?
and let us know in this thread about your impressions,thanks in advance

here's what a google search got me on a 480 vs a 570
http://www.hwcompare.com/9000/geforce-gtx-480-vs-geforce-gtx-570/

aside from the 480 eating up a ton of power, it's faster than a 570 and a bit cheaper... so the 480's a clear winner there

I'm not sure about the 7850 vs the 480. will have to do a bit more research, but my gut tells me that there won't be justification for the extra cost of the 7850

and before anyone accuse me of being an Nvidia fanboy, I run an AMD 7970 myself, got it in Feb. all I care about is the best performance for each price segment

jeffredo

Distinguished

I would seriously like to know your impressions - i.e. heat increase in the room the PC is in, fan noise while gaming, CPU temps (from an residual heat from the card), etc... I'm not trying to start a fight or make anyone regret their purchase - I'm really curious to know what you think. Could you list your PC case model too? Thanks.

^+1 though I can say even my 7970 OC runs like a mini space-heater (my gaming room's on the small and cozy side). it doesn't overheat, my case air-flow keeps it below 70C, but the room goes 5C higher or so haha

kinesics

Honorable
May 1, 2012
sure ill be happy to give my feedback, and ill be sure to put my review up on newegg, i have an older rig im going to put it in for the next 2 weeks, since im buying my parts half this friday and the rest in 2 weeks. i really took about 1 month to decide to get the thing i was torn between the 7850 and 480 but really feel the 480 is for me, plus you cant go wrong with all that power for just $210 that's just unheard of. ill be sure to keep you all updated

hello recon, I see you finally arrived :p

@OP, I forgot to address your question before, but even though the 480 is old tech, it's good tech and yes, it will play all the current games at just about any resolution (single monitor) you want, as well as upcoming games for a few years

Temuka

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2012
Sounds good^

don't know what to do... so many complains about heat and power consumption :( isn't there any adequate gpu for me ? :(

BTW thanks for all responces,I feel quite comfortable at this forum :)

kinesics

Honorable
May 1, 2012

considering i was there for one month banging my head on which card to get.. lets just say this there isnt the perfect card they all have their issues, but since you and i are looking at bang for your buck, i would recommend you go with the 480, trust me ive been through every 7850v 480 thread and every 480 thread you can think of on this forum, and i still wouldnt change my mind

Temuka

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2012
maybe it's funny,but actually not for me,does the electricity bill with this gpu is much higher than with standard power consumption cards ? I really like 480-s performance,just peoples reviews about power consumption and heat are little stressing me.... :(

I can't give you exact figures since I don't have your ambient temperature/case/fan setup etc etc. But here's how I look at it

if you're putting together a GAMING machine, noise, heat, and power consumption (at least in the US) should NOT be a problem for ANY card. it's not that these aren't relevant metrics, but rather you should make them trivial.

Heat: any gaming machine should have good enough air flow to handle a high powered video card, if your current set up can't handle it, it's definately worth looking into, and consider getting a new case/fans, rearrange wires etc. if the card simply runs too hot, it's a manufacturer's issue, which would've been all solved by now for a card as old as the 480 (and from what I've read they have been).

Noise: most gaming rigs are very well ventilated, which also means they let a lot of noise escape. noise overall is a relative thing. if you're super sensitive to noise, watercooling's always a good way to go. if you're not, a good headset or cranking the sound up should work. For me, mechanical gaming keyboard makes far more noise than anything else in my system, as I'm sure is the case with many other gamers out-there. besides, noise and heat go hand in hand, at the end of the day, in 99% of cases, a well adjusted fan profile and some bios tweaks on CPU clocks will allow the end user to find a noise/heat ratio that's comfortable to them.

As for power, it's still almost dirt cheap in the United States. True, this is bad for the environment, but for those who're looking for the best bang for their buck, it'll take you years to save the price difference between a 480 and a 570/7850 from electric bill savings...

just my 2 cents :)

I don't know about you, but I put together a 600W system back in Feb, I game (aka use close to 600W on the system) something like 2-5 hours per day on average, and ended up moving my electric bill by 1-2 dollars... when I'm not on, the system sits idle/sleep mode most of the time (it's not shut off). soo, if you give it 10 years or so, you might see a significant aggregate difference on your electric bill :p

Temuka

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2012
why I don't see 1 post convincing me not to buy 480 ? (except of my thread where I build my whole pc :D >>> http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/350125-13-need-advice-gaming#t2631734)

BTW is there any other gpu in this price range except 7850 where there are no doubts about noise,heat or power consumption?

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I can max BF3 at 2560x1600 with 1 480....

what? ultra with AA at 60fps? Online or offline?

Also, does anyone have any good 7850 OC benchmarks? If you can boost it to over 1ghz, I'd imagine you'd see very significant performance gains. The 480 would need a new cooler to oc more than 100mhz right?