Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Which build is better?

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 4, 2012 6:52:12 AM

Here's the situation. I worked all day putting together a build (along with an exceptional amount of help), and ended up WAY above my budget. I want a PC that can play Minecraft and BF3 on medium graphics with good fps and GTA IV on low with good fps.

Build A will cost around $670 and then I have to have it shipped to Australia on top of that, as well as buy a keyboard and monitor. This was the build I was working on.

Build A: CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32120 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819115077

CPU Cooler: Stock fan included with CPU

Motherboard: ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131724

Memory: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMV4GX3M2A1333C9
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820145278

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822136769

Video Card: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100358VXL Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814102993

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811119233

Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W Modular 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817703035

Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6827135204

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 38566&SID=

TOTAL: Around $670 plus shipping to Aus as well as keyboard and monitor.
Build B:

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($122.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D3V Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($63.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($45.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card ($159.50 @ Mwave Australia)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Corsair 430W ATX12V Power Supply ($59.00 @ PCCaseGear)

TOTAL: $566.50 shipping will be a lot I think, still have to buy keyboard and monitor.



I know the more expensive one is better, but I really don't have a whole lot of money and probably wouldn't be able to get build A for a while, whereas build B i could get very soon. My initial budget was $500. Thanks for reading all of that.

More about : build

August 4, 2012 7:00:41 AM

MrSusrus said:
Here's the situation. I worked all day putting together a build (along with an exceptional amount of help), and ended up WAY above my budget. I want a PC that can play Minecraft and BF3 on medium graphics with good fps and GTA IV on low with good fps.

Build A will cost around $670 and then I have to have it shipped to Australia on top of that, as well as buy a keyboard and monitor. This was the build I was working on.

Build A: CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32120 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819115077

CPU Cooler: Stock fan included with CPU

Motherboard: ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131724

Memory: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMV4GX3M2A1333C9
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820145278

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822136769

Video Card: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100358VXL Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814102993

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811119233

Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W Modular 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817703035

Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6827135204

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 38566&SID=

TOTAL: Around $670 plus shipping to Aus as well as keyboard and monitor.
Build B:

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($122.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D3V Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($63.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($45.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card ($159.50 @ Mwave Australia)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Corsair 430W ATX12V Power Supply ($59.00 @ PCCaseGear)

TOTAL: $566.50 shipping will be a lot I think, still have to buy keyboard and monitor.



I know the more expensive one is better, but I really don't have a whole lot of money and probably wouldn't be able to get build A for a while, whereas build B i could get very soon. Thanks for reading all of that.

Ok, so if you live in melbourne you should check out MSY. Its really good (But not super expensive). Also its cheaper than pccg where i'm getting my haf x nvidia case from.
BTW Build A is better with the caviar blue :) 
Score
0
August 4, 2012 7:05:11 AM

Bayman115 said:
Ok, so if you live in melbourne you should check out MSY. Its really good (But not super expensive). Also its cheaper than pccg where i'm getting my haf x nvidia case from.
BTW Build A is better with the caviar blue :) 


I live in Queensland, but thanks. How much better is Build A, Will Build B still run well? Is mwave and pccasegear the best site for aussies? Sorry for all the questions, i'm new to all this.
Score
0
Related resources
August 4, 2012 7:10:17 AM

MrSusrus said:
I live in Queensland, but thanks. How much better is Build A, Will Build B still run well? Is mwave and pccasegear the best site for aussies? Sorry for all the questions, i'm new to all this.

Um the 7770 GPU is much better than the one in build b. But if your looking to save some money you could go down a few models and run two low end cards in crossfireX. Um ok, i know pccg is good but idk about mwave. You should check out MSY, they are much cheaper :)  Lol its ok im still kinda new aswell... Build a is only really better because of the GPU and the HDD.
What do you plan on using the pc for?
Score
0
August 4, 2012 7:21:28 AM

Bayman115 said:
Um the 7770 GPU is much better than the one in build b. But if your looking to save some money you could go down a few models and run two low end cards in crossfireX. Um ok, i know pccg is good but idk about mwave. You should check out MSY, they are much cheaper :)  Lol its ok im still kinda new aswell... Build a is only really better because of the GPU and the HDD.
What do you plan on using the pc for?


Mostly for gaming, like I said at the top I want to run BF3 and Minecraft on Medium settings with high fps and GTA IV on low settings with high fps. Also for watching movies and surfing the internet, but primarily gaming.

Do you know if you can pick stuff up from MSY, I live like 30 mins away from one, and it would cut the cost a lot.
Score
0
August 4, 2012 7:28:02 AM

MrSusrus said:
Mostly for gaming, like I said at the top I want to run BF3 and Minecraft on Medium settings with high fps and GTA IV on low settings with high fps. Also for watching movies and surfing the internet, but primarily gaming.

Do you know if you can pick stuff up from MSY, I live like 30 mins away from one, and it would cut the cost a lot.

Oh yea lol :p  Um i am picking my parts up from MSY and trust me, you save TONNES of $$$! So yes you can pick up lol... If you want to run to run those games on the settings you want then i would go with build A. However if you got the GPU from build A and stuck it build B it would work just as well :) 
Score
0
August 4, 2012 7:53:57 AM

So just swap the graphics card for Build A and put it in Build B and its good to go? I dont need to change the PSU or anything? What about the motherboard, is it compatible?

Oh, and how do you buy stuff from MSY, there no button = (

Dont worry, had to change location. Im an idiot.
Score
0
August 4, 2012 7:59:08 AM

MrSusrus said:
So just swap the graphics card for Build A and put it in Build B and its good to go? I dont need to change the PSU or anything? What about the motherboard, is it compatible?

Oh, and how do you buy stuff from MSY, there no button = (

Dont worry, had to change location. Im an idiot.

LOL, dont worry. The first time i went to msy i didnt know how to get into the place where u actually order the parts haha. Um the GPU should run on any motherboard as long as it has asleast 1 PCI-e slot.
Hmm, if you are going to do any sli you will need to get a higher wattage PSU, but if you're just taking the 7770 from build A, you could get away with 430w :/  But if i were you i would get at least 500-550 PSU just to be safe. It depends how much watts your GPU will use. Just go to coolermaster and do the psu calculator and put all your parts in. that will tell you how much you need!
Score
0
August 4, 2012 8:25:53 AM

MrSusrus said:
Here's the situation. I worked all day putting together a build (along with an exceptional amount of help), and ended up WAY above my budget. I want a PC that can play Minecraft and BF3 on medium graphics with good fps and GTA IV on low with good fps.

Build A will cost around $670 and then I have to have it shipped to Australia on top of that, as well as buy a keyboard and monitor. This was the build I was working on.

Build A: CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32120 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819115077

CPU Cooler: Stock fan included with CPU

Motherboard: ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131724

Memory: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMV4GX3M2A1333C9
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820145278

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822136769

Video Card: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100358VXL Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814102993

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811119233

Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W Modular 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817703035

Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6827135204

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 38566&SID=

TOTAL: Around $670 plus shipping to Aus as well as keyboard and monitor.
Build B:

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($122.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D3V Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($63.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($45.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card ($159.50 @ Mwave Australia)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Corsair 430W ATX12V Power Supply ($59.00 @ PCCaseGear)

TOTAL: $566.50 shipping will be a lot I think, still have to buy keyboard and monitor.



I know the more expensive one is better, but I really don't have a whole lot of money and probably wouldn't be able to get build A for a while, whereas build B i could get very soon. My initial budget was $500. Thanks for reading all of that.


You're on a pretty tight budget for a gaming computer. But it can be done. I don't understand the choice of i3 processor, though. It's not that it's a bad choice. But for the games you chose, the CPU will not be a bottleneck. If you insist on doing an Intel dual core, might as well go for a G860 to save some money. And while there are people who will swear that you'd be an idiot to consider AMD...at the budget range you are working with, it seems silly to do any Intel build. Consider that even a lowly A6 APU (triple core) will easily outperform any Intel dual core chip within your budget. On top of that, the AMD APU has performance tweaks allowing it to "play nice" with ATI video cards. Oh! And you've chosen an ATI video card...
I think you'd be a fool not to switch to an A75 chipset mainboard (Biostar TA75M, for example) plus A triple or quad-core AMD APU. You'll likely save money and get much better performance that way. In the budget range you are working with, anyway. If you want to beat an AMD solution performance-wise, you'll have to up your budget considerably to switch to something decent on the Intel side.
Oh! And Intel solutions are stuck at slow speed DDR3 RAM modules, also.
So you'd get another performance tweak with the A75 chipset/APU solution, allowing you to upsize your DDR3 speed a bit, for NO extra money...

And while I can agree with your choice of the OCZ / PCP&C modular unit as a possible power supply...it doesn't really fit into your budget build. Still, even a budget build deserves a quality power supply. I'd suggest a Silverstone ST50F-ES as a more reasonably priced choice.

In short, switch to AMD for better performance, get a cheaper (but quality) power supply...and now you are closer to your budget, as well.
Score
0
August 4, 2012 8:34:45 AM

davec80 said:
You're on a pretty tight budget for a gaming computer. But it can be done. I don't understand the choice of i3 processor, though. It's not that it's a bad choice. But for the games you chose, the CPU will not be a bottleneck. If you insist on doing an Intel dual core, might as well go for a G860 to save some money. And while there are people who will swear that you'd be an idiot to consider AMD...at the budget range you are working with, it seems silly to do any Intel build. Consider that even a lowly A6 APU (triple core) will easily outperform any Intel dual core chip within your budget. On top of that, the AMD APU has performance tweaks allowing it to "play nice" with ATI video cards. Oh! And you've chosen an ATI video card...
I think you'd be a fool not to switch to an A75 chipset mainboard (Biostar TA75M, for example) plus A triple or quad-core AMD APU. You'll likely save money and get much better performance that way. In the budget range you are working with, anyway. If you want to beat an AMD solution performance-wise, you'll have to up your budget considerably to switch to something decent on the Intel side.
Oh! And Intel solutions are stuck at slow speed DDR3 RAM modules, also.
So you'd get another performance tweak with the A75 chipset/APU solution, allowing you to upsize your DDR3 speed a bit, for NO extra money...

And while I can agree with your choice of the OCZ / PCP&C modular unit as a possible power supply...it doesn't really fit into your budget build. Still, even a budget build deserves a quality power supply. I'd suggest a Silverstone ST50F-ES as a more reasonably priced choice.

In short, switch to AMD for better performance, get a cheaper (but quality) power supply...and now you are closer to your budget, as well.

well, i sort of agree with you. amd is good in performance but intel is much more reliable. Although for his price range your right amd would be a better choice tham intel, as intel is more expensive.
Score
0
August 6, 2012 8:20:45 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!