Replaced MB - now unable to connect to 2nd computer (advan..

BP

Hello. My mainboard fried and I had a local repair shop replace it with a
new replacement board. The old board was an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe with
onboard LAN (Intel Pro/1000 Adapter) and IEEE1394. I used this LAN
connection and a Linksys LNE100TX card to create a small local network (2
computers). The broadband modem was plugged into the Intel Adapter and the
second (W98) computer was plugged into the Linksys Adapter with a crossover
cable. Both computers were configured and the network ran well for several
months.
The new board is an Intel D865PERL w/o on board LAN or IEEE 1394. The repair
shop added a second NIC card, a 3Com along with my old Linksys. Both cards
are working and drivers installed. The broadband modem is plugged into the
3Com card and I have an internet access. The crossover cable is plugged into
the Linksys card but I do not have connectivity. I re-checked the network
configurations on both computers and they are correct (according to Carey
Holtzman's excellent site). Nothing has changed on the second computer.

The systray icon has an alert symbol and reads: "Status: limited or no
connectivity ..... network did not assign a network address to the computer"
Clicking "repair" results in: "Renewing your IP address; then: "Windows
could no finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be
completed: Renewing your IP address".

On the "Local Area Connection" I saw a message: Invalid IP Address ;
Automatic Private Address = 169.254.226.3

I attempted to establish a static IP address (192.168.0.1) for the Linksys
(to try and ping the computers - they don't ping) and I got a message that
read: "this address is currently being used by another network adapter.
Using the same address on two adapters could cause problems." I checked in
the registry and found that the old Intel Pro/1000 connection is still
installed in several keys, including the Network keys in HKLM current
version.

The "Error Log" Lists errors:
DHCP - "Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address 24.218.46.20 on
the Network Card with network address 00010334245F." ;
" IPNATHLP - The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an
operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate
misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is
the error code." ;
" IPNATHLP- The DHCP allocator has disabled itself on IP address
169.254.226.3, since the IP address is outside the 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
scope from which addresses are being allocated to DHCP clients. To enable
the DHCP allocator on this IP address, please change the scope to include
the IP address, or change the IP address to fall within the scope."
" IPNATHLP- The DNS proxy agent was unable to read the local list of
name-resolution servers from the registry. The data is the error code.
" IPNATHLP- The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an
operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate
misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is
the error code."
" IPNATHLP- The DNS proxy agent encountered an error while obtaining the
local list of name-resolution servers. Some DNS or WINS servers may be
inaccessible to clients on the local network. The data is the error code."

I've also run the Network wizard again. No luck.

I have a feeling the problem is due to the old Intel Pro/1000 connection
still being installed in the registry, but I'm looking for any advice or
confirmation before I start deleting keys. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

....and when you reran the network wizard did you tell it that the 3com card
was now the shared connection?

If really doesn't matter if there entries related to the old NIC still
hanging around or not. As long as you tell ICS what NIC is now shared it'll
simply make the adjustments.

The 169.* address simply means that a DHCP server wasn't found on the
network, therefore APIPA was kicking in. This implies that ICS hasn't
started. You also want to verify that the ICS service has started. Look in
services.msc. If you're running SP2 look for the state of Windows
Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing. If prior to SP2 you'll have to look
for it since I can't remember what it is off the top of my head. If it's
shown as starting automatic, then look in eventlog.msc for messages
specifically related to ICS.

--
Walter Clayton

"BP" <replytoall@only.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> name-resolution servers from the registry. The data is the error code.
> " IPNATHLP- The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an
> operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate
> misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data
> is
> the error code."
> " IPNATHLP- The DNS proxy agent encountered an error while obtaining the
> local list of name-resolution servers. Some DNS or WINS servers may be
> inaccessible to clients on the local network. The data is the error code."
>
> I've also run the Network wizard again. No luck.
>
> I have a feeling the problem is due to the old Intel Pro/1000 connection
> still being installed in the registry, but I'm looking for any advice or
> confirmation before I start deleting keys. Any help would be greatly

BP

Problem solved, thanks to a tip from Ron Lowe. I used "Device manager does
not display devices that are not connected to the Windows XP-based Computer"
315539 in the Knowledge Base to find and uninstall the old Pro/1000 adapter
which had laid claim to the IP address. Once deleted the network and ICS
could be configured correctly.