CGI (Heavy Modeling/Rendering) Desktop

Raequaoth

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
I'll be ordering the main build from CyberPower, but the RAM & GPU from Newegg. Let me know if there's anything you'd change; P.S this will be my CG desktop (3d modeling/rendering) for the next year or 2. I would like a workstation but at the moment am lacking the funds.

Case: Corsair 400r
Cooling: CoollT ECO-II 240
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
CPU: 3770k (3.8/4.2Ghz OC)
GPU: Evga GTX 670 Superclocked 4GB
PSU: 750w Corsair Professional Series CMPSU-AX750 Gold
RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600
SSD: Intel 520 120GB SATA-III

I have a few questions though. First, is the cooling overkill? (I heard this is a big cooler, identical to H100). I could stick with it, or go with H60 --- although I don't know if that can handle 4.2Ghz on 99 percent load during renders (which can be as long as 12+ hours).

Regarding the RAM, I know G.Skill is good but I wanted to compare against: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Series 16GB x 2. These sticks got great reviews, & have a cas latency of 8; as compared to G.Skills 9.

As for the mobo, is it worth spend the extra 30 to upgrade to Extreme6?

Last thing I was slightly torn between is Corsair Professional, Thermaltake Toughpower Grand, and the cheaper Corsair Enthusiast Series. What caught my eye in the Thermaltake model is the fandelaycool feature, but I don't think that makes or breaks the decision.

cchartsell

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2012
Looks like an awesome build to me! The CPU cooling may be a little much, but you'll be fine. I want to eventually put that exact same one in my rig. With the RAM you honestly won't notice a difference between 8 and 9 latency. I would pick G.Skill. If you have the extra $30 for the higher end mobo then why not? As for PSU any of them would be fine. I would mark the enthusiast series off the list though and end up going with the corsair professional if I had to choose one or the other.

Raequaoth

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I'll go with the G.Skill probably then. =}

I was browsing around & I remembered iBuyPower, which is where I bought my last (this) build from. I know they're basically the same company; I realized I can get almost the exact same build for the same price. Except I don't have to order the GPU myself, and I like their case options better. Only thing is I'd have to settle for an H60, plus the Enthusiast series PSU. That PSU does have excellent reviews on Amazon so I'm thinking about switching over.

cchartsell

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2012
The H60 isn't bad, def will keep your temps cool! :)

What is your reasoning for getting everything from one place? The build I just finished I got from all over the place. Newegg, Micro Center, Fry's and TigerDirect. Get the parts that YOU want. It's your build, not theirs ;)