A little problem here...

michael_panda

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
So here's my dilemma. Maybe I should have done my research more. I bought an Diablotek Evo CPA-6170 Case. Then I bought a Gigabyte GA-970-D3+ motherboard... I'm having a bit of trouble with the connections with the fans that were preinstalled in the case... they have molex connectors, the mobo has SATA. But there aren't enough connectors on the board for the fans and there are 4 fans with all male and female molex ends. First time building a computer so please cut me some slack. I am so confused as to how to connect all of this. Then there is a connector on the case that's 4-pins for I think the front panel.. *Sigh* Can someone help?

Update: (Returning The Motherboard)

The case is microatx/atx compatible. The motherboard isn't atx or whatever. So now here's the big question... what motherboard can I get that is compatible with these specs?

-16gb ram
-Geforce gtx560
-AMD FX 4100 3.6 ghz CPU
-600W Corsair 80+
-Diablotek Evo CPA-6170 Case

Not sure if I should delete what I wrote before..

Update: (Not returning the motherboard... I'm an idiot... really I am. I'm sorry yall.)

So I found the psu connectors for the fans... lol... I swear I just am a nutcase. :pt1cable: Anyways... here's the LAST question... scratch the others. If the case is atx/microatx compatible, can I still use the motherboard stated above?

Solution

These go to motherboard headers(groups of pins). They are along the bottom of your board. The 3 2 pin ones go at the bottom right corner. You'll need to consult your motherboard manual for specifics. There are also headers for audio, USB, etc. All the front case stuff. They are labeled on the board and shown in your manual.

You can see some pics in the step by step build guide at step 5...

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador
Your fans don't need to be connected to the mobo, that's what the power supply is for.

If your power supply has none, then you will need to buy adapters.

Never knew there were power supplies without at least 1 molex... You can daisy chain them if you only have 1.

What is your PSU? The molex connectors for the fans connect to the PSU not the motherboard, and can be daisy chained. That's why they have both ends. The molexto the front is power for something but I can't tell what. Maybe the front leds if they aren't part of the fan but I think it might be the really bright Lough on the power switch.

michael_panda

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

So Idaisy chain all four fans off the psu. But do I plug the led light connection into the psu too? And are the case and mobo compatible?

The board is ATX, the case well take a micro ATX or regular ATX. No need to return anything. The 4 pin to the front you can plug in and just disconnect if its tip bright or you don't like it. Judging by the pics looks like its extra bright and maybe needed more power than the normal mother board header has

michael_panda

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Sorry I'm asking so many questions... it's really difficult when you don't know what you're doing :sweat: So, yeah tried to look up daisy chaining... it sounds difficult but I'll try it. The connector from the case doesn't have a spot on the mobo sadly.. I mean it'd be nice to have an led on there.

michael_panda

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
photo.php

I'm not sure if this is what daisy chaining is but it looks confusing.

basically its wiring things in series. So your fans have a male and female connection. So what you can do if there are not enough molex on the PSU, or just because it's convenient is connect a female molex to the male connector of one of the fans. You can then connect the female connector of the fan you just plugged in to the male of another fan, creating a "chain" and both fans will be powered. Repeat as necessary/desired.

If you are talking about the front molex with the green and white wire that can be plugged into any female molex from the PSU/fans

michael_panda

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Okay, so I did that. There are three 2-pin wires included with the molex. I looked on the psu connections and the motherboard and there's no where to put them. They are H.D.D LED, Reset, Power... I'm guessing that's to turn it on. The 4-pin connector is a black cord that says VCC, D-, D+, and GND.

These go to motherboard headers(groups of pins). They are along the bottom of your board. The 3 2 pin ones go at the bottom right corner. You'll need to consult your motherboard manual for specifics. There are also headers for audio, USB, etc. All the front case stuff. They are labeled on the board and shown in your manual.

You can see some pics in the step by step build guide at step 5
www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building

That may also help with other questions and there's also troubleshooting in the new build sticky for later.

Solution

michael_panda

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Like I said before... I'm a little stupid. :whistle: I found the header you were talking about. Thank you very much!