Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$700-$800 Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
August 4, 2012 7:59:50 AM

Hello,

I live right by a Micro Center and I would like to go there today so that I can buy parts in order to build my first PC by tonight.

Approximate Purchase Date: Today if possible

Budget Range: $700-$800 (maybe $1000 if need be).

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Primarily gaming, movies, surfing the web, etc.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Somewhere I can pick up parts from today.

Parts Preferences: No Preference

Overclocking: I prefer not to.

SLI or Crossfire: I prefer not to.

Your Monitor Resolution: 42" LCD TV. The TV has VGA PC connection and HDMI.

Additional Comments: Being able to play the latest games at good or great FPS on highest settings, I would like the best parts for the money. I would like a case with lights or one that I could see through if possible.

The PC will also be hooked up to my TX-NR609 Onkyo receiver with 7.1 surround sound system.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I'm using a 7 year old dell!

Thanks in advanced!

More about : 700 800 gaming

August 4, 2012 9:27:42 AM

What do you think about this one?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dOf9

The video card is more pricey than it needs to be, you'd probably be perfectly happy with something cheaper like a 7870 or 7850, but for gaming the better the video card, the better the gaming expereince.

If you live near a MicroCenter, I'd grab a 2500K, they're pretty cheap. Yes they are overclockable, even though you don't want to, at least it keeps your options open should you ever change your mind. Or you could grab a 3570K for the same reason from them, although for gaming theres no real advantage to the more expensive 3570K.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Take care to get a quality power supply. Corsair TXv2/CXv2 series, PC Power and cooling, Seasonic or Antec. Don't cheap out here and get something trashy like an Ultra, Raidmax, Thermaltake or CoolerMaster. None of these brands are particularly known for quality PSUs.

500 watts is probably enough, but 600 just to be safe. Especially if you change your mind on overclocking.

Computer cases are a personal preference, I picked just a "default" one that is fairly decent. But you should really pick something you like, since a computer case is an art piece to a degree. I will say to avoid Sentey brand cases, from personal experience, they're trash.
August 4, 2012 10:36:21 AM

Lol, I was in the same situation as you like two weeks ago...playing on a dell xps with a 2.0 shader graphics card lol
I also wanted a see through case with lights

All prices have deals included at the time I bought them

CPU - $189.99 - i5 3570k
http://www.microcenter.com/single_ [...] id=0388577

MOTHERBOARD - $89.99 - Asrock Extreme4 z77
http://www.microcenter.com/single_ [...] id=0387554

RAM - $29.99 - Crucxial Tracer(LED) 4gb (2x2) 1600 ddr3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820148517

PSU - $74 - Rosewill 750w HIVE 1(12v rail)max watt 640
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817182133

CASE - $60 - Logisy Acrylic clear case 3(80mm fans)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811148001

The total is $430

Just add in
$100 for os
$100 for ssd
$250 at most for a gfx card like a 6970
$17 dollar cd drive

This is my computer build that i just ordered.
Im going to buy some cold cathodes and stuff.
The mobo and CPU are on sale at microcenter
Dont get raidmax their psu's are trash
This build can crossfire in the future
The case is see through

Related resources
August 4, 2012 7:55:58 PM

Hello nekulturny,

Thank you for the quick reply. I went over your build and I could not find some of those parts locally. You definitely pointed me in the right direction though. Thank you!
I went ahead and added a build I could get today.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dPHw

CPU $159
MOBO $109
Memory $37.99
Storage $104.99
Video Card $229
Case $79
PCU $67
Optical Drive $24
OS $88

Overall Price = $897.98

Worth it?

I would appreciate feedback on this build. The store closes in 4 hours, haha!

Thanks again!
August 4, 2012 8:00:34 PM

axsmith234,

Thank you for your reply! That is funny we were in the same sinking dell boat. Your post helped me think about new ideas for my first build. Thank you!
August 4, 2012 8:01:54 PM

Maybe someone can answer a specific question I have? I would like to know if a SSD on top of a 1 TB HD is really necessary in today's PC world?

Thank you in advance!
August 4, 2012 8:06:47 PM

The SSD is more for having quicker access to information, since it works much faster than a normal HDD. It will significantly help your boot time, as well as other applications that you install on it. Realistically, I wouldn't fill up a 1tb drive, I would go for 500gb max, but it's up to you.

Also, I wouldn't recommend an SSD on an $800 build since the money is much better spent on a better Graphics Card.

Best solution

August 4, 2012 8:15:29 PM

Hi, sorry I'm late getting back to you,

The build you have is pretty decent, and I think you'll be very happy with it.

anth0079 said:
Maybe someone can answer a specific question I have? I would like to know if a SSD on top of a 1 TB HD is really necessary in today's PC world?

Thank you in advance!

Ironslice has it right as far as SSDs go. They can't improve FPS rates in games, they merely decrease the loading time of programs and transfer rates. Yes it is a pretty substantial speed increase, but its for the most part a luxury item. I wouldn't consider an SSD unless you can get at least a 128GB one, ideally at least 256GB. Reason for this is because between Windows7 and NTFS format, that takes up almost 20GB alone on a 64GB SSD. Since a single game nowadays can easily take 10GB by itself, that doesn't leave much room. And Ironslice is right further, that for gaming performance, you'll get more value for your dollar putting that into the video card. The 7850 is a very decent card at stock speeds its better than the Nvidia GTX 560 TI, and it typically (remember you're only guaranteed to get stock speeds on anything) overclocks well enough to match the performance of the GTX 570 should you decide to do so. But of course the new GTX 670 is a powerhouse and does indeed outperform it.

Now, I would get a 1TB traditional hard drive, either for backup or as the main drive, simply because the way it is. 500GB drives are only about 20-30 cheaper than comparable 1TB ones. Hard drive prices were kind of messed up for awhile because of the flooding in Thailand where they're made, but thats returned to some degree of normalcy.
August 4, 2012 8:20:59 PM

Ironslice said:
The SSD is more for having quicker access to information, since it works much faster than a normal HDD. It will significantly help your boot time, as well as other applications that you install on it. Realistically, I wouldn't fill up a 1tb drive, I would go for 500gb max, but it's up to you.

Also, I wouldn't recommend an SSD on an $800 build since the money is much better spent on a better Graphics Card.

Thank you for the tips Ironslice!

I could add the SSD. I just wanted to know if it was a good thing to include.
I could drop down to 500gb with no problems. I have 145gb now and I still have 8gb available.

What do you think about the graphics: Diamond Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card?

Thanks in advance!
August 4, 2012 8:27:34 PM

nekulturny said:
Hi, sorry I'm late getting back to you,

The build you have is pretty decent, and I think you'll be very happy with it.

Oh you posted before I got my last response loaded! I could drop $60 more for a 7870. Would it be worth it? Well you seem to have answered all my questions very nicely. Thank you nekulturny!

Now I just have to build it. Haha! Wish me luck!
August 4, 2012 8:29:56 PM

Best answer selected by Anth0079.
August 4, 2012 8:34:58 PM

anth0079 said:
Oh you posted before I got my last response loaded! I could drop $60 more for a 7870. Would it be worth it? Well you seem to have answered all my questions very nicely. Thank you nekulturny!

Now I just have to build it. Haha! Wish me luck!

Would it yes? I would try to find a Sapphire branded one if you can though, they are the best maker of AMD video cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Good luck! let me know how it goes!
August 4, 2012 8:44:48 PM

Asus isn't bad either, although if faced between the two choices, I would go Sapphire.

And you're welcome.
August 4, 2012 8:51:43 PM

Okay so I'm sitting here thinking that I might not miss the extra $100 for the 670. Is the upgrade going to make that much of a difference watching movies and playing Skyrim at the most? I've never had a Nvidia card so I have nothing to base a real life opinion on. Thank you for your time!
August 4, 2012 8:55:02 PM

Skyrim actually for some reason tends to do better on AMD video cards. Although, I'll admit I don't know how well the GTX 670 fairs with it, I'm basing this on the benches I've seen from the GTX 5xx series, for some reason Skyrim just really doesn't like Nvidia. But on the other hand the GTX 670 is probably powerful enough that it won't matter.

As far as watching movies, it doesn't matter, you could do that with a $20 video card.
August 4, 2012 8:59:10 PM

Interesting... Well now that you helpful people have armed me with a little knowledge I should go try and break something. Haha! Have a good day nekulturny
August 4, 2012 9:03:16 PM

I dunno if you already left, but this is more for information purpose. This is what I was talking about with Skyrim and the 5xx series. I dunno what was up with that, but you can see the 560 TI really got hammered. Probably the lacking vram that hit it would be my guess.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/547?vs=549
August 4, 2012 9:13:22 PM

Well according to the comparison in the first link the 670 out performs the 7870 in almost all aspects. Now I don't know. Haha! Plugged in the 7970 for the same price as the 670 and the AMD seems to be the better card by the numbers.

I could purchase a Diamond White Box version of the 7970 for $386 or a Visiontek for $368.
August 4, 2012 9:20:25 PM

LOL, this is why you take your time and pick out stuff to make sure you know what you want. I know you really want to get this build done ASAP, but sometimes patience pays off. Honestly, between the 7970 GTX 670, 7850 or 7870, I think you'll be happy with any of them. Especially coming off of an old Dell. Its going to be like a whole new world.

I don't really know much about Diamond, so honestly I can't really vouch for their quality.

I will defer to this article, these are the ones that Tom's considers the best 7970s to get:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-over...

My personal answer of course is going to be Sapphire again. The Visiontek one looks to me at first glance like it has the reference card cooler on it, so its probably going to be noisy and not overclock as well.
August 4, 2012 9:26:53 PM

Haha! Of course you are right nekalturny! Patience is a virtue. Honestly I stumbled across this site for the first time this morning and it sparked a renewed interest in the computer world for me. Been out of the loop for 7+ yrs so please forgive me if I act a little like a kid in a candy store.

I'm sure with all the help you have given me I will make the right decision when choosing my video card.

Your valued time is much appreciated!
August 4, 2012 9:36:31 PM

Well, if you need more time to make up your mind, the good thing is you can still go to MicroCenter tonight and get everything but the video card. You can use the onboard graphics that the Intel CPU has and if need be, order a video card online if theres a better one not from MicroCenter.

Of course don't expect the CPU's onboard graphics to be very good, but at least you can still have a functional machine tonight.
August 5, 2012 2:14:52 AM

Okay nekuturny I just returned from the store. I ended up going over what I started at.

Here is my build that I brought home.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dRmD

Opted for the SDD and the GTX 670. Please critique this build before I open the boxes so i can return anything that I wasted money on.

Final total OTD $1,316

Thanks!
August 5, 2012 2:32:36 AM

Looks pretty good to me.

One thing I will say, if you've never done this before, take your time. Be especially careful putting the CPU into the mobo socket, the Intel Land Grid Arrays are very fragile.
August 5, 2012 2:39:35 AM

I will take my time. Thanks again for your advice. I will post a pic when I'm done. Have a good night.
!