Crazy high ping?

acidreamer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Ok, so im on road runner broadband internet at 2mb/s down, and my ping is going crazy high, like, im basing this off of normal ping from ventrilo, and what im experiencing in game. normally my ventrilo ping is 74-90, but recently its been going up to 500 usually, or 4000 if it get really bad. also in game i have been having extreme teleport lag, im getting shot through walls(what it seems like due to lag) or i will completely just get kicked off. i just had a guy from time warner come look at the signals, he said they are really weak because my cable wasnt connected close to the tap, just connected to a tree of cable splitters. so he made my connection closer to the actual tap, but its still really high. i dont know if its my modem, if i need to get more bandwidth, no clue. ive tried resetting my router and modem and it diddnt help at all.

acidreamer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011

well, i just got back from my dad's, who has the same isp exept he has more bandwidth. He even has the same modem and router i have here and i had no problem at all. it just started when i got home 2 days ago. I called the company and the guy came out and looked at it and said send and receiving levels were really bad. so appearently he did something to fix it by moving my connection closer to the local tap. doesnt seem to fix anything.