Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My computer won't turn on

Last response: in Systems
August 4, 2012 8:39:56 AM

Hey I have a new homebuilt computer. It was working fine earlier today then I went to work and when I got back it wouldn't turn on. Its all new parts still under warranty thankfully but I would rather avoid that if possible. all parts are a little over a month old. here is my parts list:

PSU: Corsair HX 750
CPU: i5-3570k
GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB
MoBo: ASUS P8Z77-V LK
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
Optical: LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer

thank you very much for any help.

More about : computer turn

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2012 8:55:49 AM

Well well...it would be great if you could share a little bit more of information with us

*what was the last thing you did to your PC?did you installed any new software?

*does the PC doesnt boot at all or does it make atleast the fans spin?

*kind of silly but, is everything properly connected?

*did you overclocked any of your components?

*did you experienced some artifacts in your screen before this problem started?

*did you try to boot your PC with only one stick of ram on each slot individually?

*have you tried booting without your GPU?

*did you experienced any power interruptions recently?

*do you have a voltage regulator?

*Silly one: is the I/O switch in the back of your PSU set to "I"? this happended to me once and it took me almost an hour to figure it out :( 

Read this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Edit: DO THIS FIRST

locate your motherboards CMOS jumper, it should look like this:

The jumper in the picture is touching (what we are going to call) Pin 1 and 2, all you have to do is take the jumper off and wait a few seconds (3 or 4) and put it back but this time make sure it touches Pins 2 and 3, leave it like that for a few seconds (~5 this time) and put it back in it's original position (Touching pins 1 and 2). If your problem was caused by a BIOS problem now it should be solved.
August 4, 2012 8:07:17 PM

The last thing I did with my PC was play the game Just Cause 2. At one point while playing Civilization 5 earlier that day my screen turned red made a strange noise then I was forced to shut it down by holding down the power button. not the switch in back.

The PC didn't boot at all. However, I kept everything unplugged all night and I just tried the computer and it turned on fine just as normal and I am using it now. However, I would rather get to the bottom of this problem so that I can avoid it in the future so your continued assistance is appreciated.

no components are overclocked

I have two sticks of RAM in but this has not changed since my computer was first built

did not try booting without my GPU

no power interruptions

i do not have a voltage regulator
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2012 8:40:08 PM

Judge123 said:
The last thing I did with my PC was play the game Just Cause 2. At one point while playing Civilization 5 earlier that day my screen turned red made a strange noise then I was forced to shut it down by holding down the power button. not the switch in back.

Run a program called Furmark(everything maxed out), if i am right then your GPU is either damanged or it has overheating issues, try to run that program for atleast 3 hours to see how your GPU does, constantly check its temperature.

After you run Furmark, run 3DMark11 (Everything maxed out) and see how it does, if you see any artifacts shut it down inmediatly and call EVGA to get a replacement for your GPU
m
l
August 5, 2012 7:50:24 AM

aqualipt said:
Run a program called Furmark(everything maxed out), if i am right then your GPU is either damanged or it has overheating issues, try to run that program for atleast 3 hours to see how your GPU does, constantly check its temperature.

After you run Furmark, run 3DMark11 (Everything maxed out) and see how it does, if you see any artifacts shut it down inmediatly and call EVGA to get a replacement for your GPU

by setting everything to max do you mean in furmark I should check off all of the following:

Dynamic background
dynamic camera
burn-in
xtremem burn-in
Post-FX

also what should I set the temp alarm to? what is the highest temp the card should reach to remain safe? also it says "do the Burn-in test at your own risk" is this something that can damage my card or void the warranty?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 5, 2012 8:04:03 AM

Judge123 said:
by setting everything to max do you mean in furmark I should check off all of the following:

Dynamic background
dynamic camera
burn-in
xtremem burn-in
Post-FX

also what should I set the temp alarm to? what is the highest temp the card should reach to remain safe? also it says "do the Burn-in test at your own risk" is this something that can damage my card or void the warranty?

it wont void your warranty but it will push your GPU far more than any game in the world, it will reach 100% activity

Set the temperature alarm to 80°C
m
l
August 5, 2012 8:46:38 AM

aqualipt said:
it wont void your warranty but it will push your GPU far more than any game in the world, it will reach 100% activity

alarm at 80c? Most GPU's are safe up to around 100c... Granted I have never really seen mine go over 75c (using gtx580 NVidia says safe temps up to 97c)

Sure it will reduce the lifespan by constantly running at hot temps, but I mean... All cards are different, but I know people who still have 9800gtx+ hitting high 80's and running strong after all these years
m
l
August 5, 2012 8:50:55 PM

aqualipt said:

ok thanks. but do I check off all those settings? or which ones
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 5, 2012 9:06:55 PM

Judge123 said:
ok thanks. but do I check off all those settings? or which ones

Just run the test however you want, it will still push your GPU to its maximun capabilities and it will make it draw all the power it can, this is to test if the PSU or GPU is faulty
m
l
August 6, 2012 12:02:53 AM

ok thank you. how will i know if my gpu is faulty? will it tell me? and sorry for all the questions. i haven't had a three hour block of free time where i can run the program and monitor it
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 6, 2012 12:11:00 AM

Judge123 said:
ok thank you. how will i know if my gpu is faulty? will it tell me? and sorry for all the questions. i haven't had a three hour block of free time where i can run the program and monitor it

If your GPU is faulty it will simply start to show artifacts in your screen or the PC will simply shutdown because its getting hot or because the PSU is faulty and its not giving the GPU enough power

Edit: have you tried booting without the GPU??
m
l
August 6, 2012 2:08:15 AM

You will really know when your GPU is faulty when there is no video. lol :]

If temps are not the issue I am putting my money on bad mobo being the issue. Is there any kind of error code it gives?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 6, 2012 2:31:07 AM

izoli said:
You will really know when your GPU is faulty when there is no video. lol :]

What are you talking about?? sometimes the chipset is partially damanged causing the artifacts the OP described.
m
l
August 6, 2012 4:13:52 AM

aqualipt said:
What are you talking about?? sometimes the chipset is partially damanged causing the artifacts the OP described.

You worded it as if if there are artifacts your gpu is faulty. It doesn't even need to overheat to show artifacts, just unstable... Yeah could be overheating causing the artifacts, could be an unstable clock, could be faulty gpu.... could be could be... I wasn't really trying to say you were wrong or anything.

Really I was just making a joke
m
l
August 6, 2012 10:09:05 AM

izoli said:
You worded it as if if there are artifacts your gpu is faulty. It doesn't even need to overheat to show artifacts, just unstable... Yeah could be overheating causing the artifacts, could be an unstable clock, could be faulty gpu.... could be could be... I wasn't really trying to say you were wrong or anything.

Really I was just making a joke

i never got an error message it was just one time when my screen turned red made a strange sound then shut down. then later that day after i got home from work it would not turn on at all. but i did use it after the red screen just fine. however morning after the computer would not turn on it worked fine
m
l
August 6, 2012 4:33:54 PM

You are running Vista?

"The red screen is a sign of serious errors in your computer that can make it become unstable. The red screen can be caused by the incompatibility of installed hardware or software with the operating system or a damaged operating system. Remove non-compatible programs or repair the operating system to fix the red screen."

I don't see much about RSoD, but that is about the general consensus it seems. Did you install anything before it happened?
m
l
August 6, 2012 7:53:59 PM

izoli said:
You are running Vista?

"The red screen is a sign of serious errors in your computer that can make it become unstable. The red screen can be caused by the incompatibility of installed hardware or software with the operating system or a damaged operating system. Remove non-compatible programs or repair the operating system to fix the red screen."

I don't see much about RSoD, but that is about the general consensus it seems. Did you install anything before it happened?

the only thing i have been installing is games. mostly from steam. although i do have a another problem but that I am not sure if it is related. for some reason when I try to start civilization 5 in direct x 10/11 mode the game terminates soon after starting despite the fact that I have a very new card and I can run other direct x 10/11 games just fine. also I did have to remove some infected files a few days prior to the red screen incident
m
l
August 6, 2012 8:17:38 PM

And how did the temps look?
m
l
August 6, 2012 9:08:16 PM

aqualipt said:
If your GPU is faulty it will simply start to show artifacts in your screen or the PC will simply shutdown because its getting hot or because the PSU is faulty and its not giving the GPU enough power

Edit: have you tried booting without the GPU??

I have not tried booting without the gpu. do i just unplug the gpu to do that?
also I ran the furmark burn-in test. and its been going for about an 1 hour 10 min the highest temp. reached was 78F and its been at 78F for like 30 min at least. ill run the 3DMark11 and then post the results when that is done
m
l
August 6, 2012 10:35:56 PM

78F?... Don't you mean C?

Anywho I don't think it is an overheating issue
m
l
August 6, 2012 11:17:43 PM

ya 78C. also this may have become a little confusing. i have two problems that I know of the red screen problem and the booting problem. both of which only happened once although preferably I would like to resolve them both. just wanted to clear that up in case there was any confusion
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 6, 2012 11:25:49 PM

Judge123 said:
ya 78C. also this may have become a little confusing. i have two problems that I know of the red screen problem and the booting problem. both of which only happened once although preferably I would like to resolve them both. just wanted to clear that up in case there was any confusion

I suppose you didnt see any artifact while Furmark was running, thats a good sing and i doubt your GPU is overheating, those are the normal temps for that card (the FTW cooler is not very good) so i think everything is ok, play normally and if you see ANYTHING out of the normal let us know.

About your Civilization V problem... thats strange, what OS are your running? (i supose W7 but you didnt make it clear)
m
l
August 7, 2012 8:44:26 AM

I am currently running windows 7 ultimate 32 bit. although with that said I do have 8gb of RAM. its a long story of why I only have 32 bit and not the proper 64 bit but I soon will have the 64 bit version. could this be the problem?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 7, 2012 9:20:42 AM

Judge123 said:
I am currently running windows 7 ultimate 32 bit. although with that said I do have 8gb of RAM. its a long story of why I only have 32 bit and not the proper 64 bit but I soon will have the 64 bit version. could this be the problem?

I hardly doubt it but check your messages, i left something there for you :D 

So...is everything ok with your PC now?
m
l
August 8, 2012 7:40:20 AM

my computer is running fine. although im still not any closer to figuring out why it didn't start that one time. which does have me worried. at least if it is a problem with the PSU it comes with a 7 year warrenty
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 8, 2012 7:56:07 AM

Judge123 said:
my computer is running fine. although im still not any closer to figuring out why it didn't start that one time. which does have me worried. at least if it is a problem with the PSU it comes with a 7 year warrenty

Great, just make sure you dont overclcok anything so you dont void your warranty
m
l
August 8, 2012 8:56:27 PM

Can one even overclock a PSU? but ya I was not planning on doing any overclocking until it was necessary to extend the life of the part
m
l
August 8, 2012 8:58:08 PM

Best answer selected by Judge123.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 8, 2012 9:16:53 PM

Judge123 said:
Can one even overclock a PSU? but ya I was not planning on doing any overclocking until it was necessary to extend the life of the part

Good thinking, i never overclock anything unless its necesary.
m
l
!