Single GFX card solution for gaming 2560x1600

Anyway...

I might be building a new system soon. I will likely be purchasing one of those Korean 27" IPS 2560x1600 monitors. This will be primarily used for gaming (SWTOR & Skyrim, not into FPS). I would like to get around 60 fps our of the card at all times.

So how high the GPU food chain do I have to climb to achieve this? Single or SLI/Crossfire?

Thanks for all the help.
9 answers Last reply
More about single card solution gaming 2560x1600
  1. A 690 or SLI/CFX with high end cards.
  2. Very High up. You are looking at a choice of 4 cards single 7970 dual 7990 single 680 dual 690. Starting price around 500 up to 1000 US.

Thent
  3. It'll need to have some serious power... I'm getting one of those Korean IPS's in about a month or so when I can afford it. I've already got a 6950 2GB, so I ordered a 2nd one from the 'egg today because the Sapphire OC version on sale for $200. A crossfire setup would only be $400, and cost a good bit less than a 7970 or 680 and deliver comparable and sometimes better frame rates. Plus if you feel like modding, there's a possibility of unlocking shaders, and of course overclocking.

I think that should get the job done, at least for games that play nice with crossfire. I don't remember the ones that don't play nice. Probably because I don't play them all that often.

EDIT: My brain got all narcissistic on me and forgot what I was replying to... For a single card, you'll need a GTX 670 at the least. A 7970 or a 680 would be a better bet. I might be inclined to go with the 7970 due to higher memory requirements at that resolution, but I'm an AMD graphics man at heart, so take that recommendation with a grain of salt.
  4. @Finleyville
    You can go with a single HD 7970 or GTX 680 but don't expect to maintain a solid 60 FPS for most of the games at this resolution, not for long too unless you turn down some game settings. So definitely you'll need to CF/SLI later.

What's your total system specs?
  5. Just for reference, I'm adding a 3rd 7970 when I up to that monitor from 1080p.
  6. I'm still trying to build my machine and getting costs...

I knew the video requirement was going to be steep so I tried to cut some corners elsewhere...

Antec P183 case (I am going for a quiet setup. The GPU will be the biggest noise issue I figure)
    Intel i5-2500k 3.3GHz
    ASUS P8Z77-V Mobo
    Corsair Vengence 4GBx2
    Intel 520 120GB SSD
    WD re4 500GB HDD
    Catleap 27" 2560x1440 IPS monitor or similar
    Sony BluRay
    Logitech G510 keyboard
    Razer Naga mouse

If I pull the trigger on this it has to be under $2000 for everything. So I am trying to build a machine capable of 2560x1440 @ 60Hz and fairly quiet at a bargain price....

Good luck, right?.....lol

Otherwise I think I will just buy a 1080p 24" monitor for my screaming laptop and call it a day....
  7. Finleyville said:
    Otherwise I think I will just buy a 1080p 24" monitor for my screaming laptop and call it a day....

For these budgets yea, that's the most wise choice. How many for the GPU are u saving?
  8. ilysaml said:
    For these budgets yea, that's the most wise choice. How many for the GPU are u saving?

Do you mean how much for the GPU? around $550. Believe it or not I found somewhere with GTX680's in stock right now. I don't believe they will last tho...lol.
  9. They are in stock...but you can't find your desired card easily.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gaming FPS Graphics Product