FX-8120 Corsair H100 WaterCooling Overheating

Hello,

I have a FX-8120 seated in a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 with a CORSAIR Hydro H100, all of this is in a NZXT Phantom.

The problem is that the other day I was watching Netflix and it just shut off for no reason, after which I would turn it on and it would turn off in about 7-10 seconds. I took the computer apart and rebuilt it on a breadboard and found that one of the two 200MM fans at the top of the case was messed up it would not spin at full speed and everytime I turn it on with that fan installed it died. So I took that fan out, and am awaiting a new one to come in.

But now the CPU with the H100 in faster fan mode idles from 12c to about 30c and when I run Prime95 or heavy game it sits at 61-65c and has actually shut off due to a overheat once.

Is there something bigger wrong with the overall build or is one 200MM fan in pull setup on the H100 really that big of a facter that it will make the temps go so high?

Thanks in advance.
11 answers Last reply
More about 8120 corsair h100 watercooling overheating
  1. Those temps would be normal.
  2. rolli59 said:
    Those temps would be normal.

I know the Idle is okay but isn't the tjmaxx for the 8120 only 61c, also if those temps where normal why would it shut down during heavy use/gaming?
  3. Prime puts a load on it that you will never see in normal use hence my comment. A fan pushing air through the heat sink is going to cool better than one pulling.
  4. rolli59 said:
    Prime puts a load on it that you will never see in normal use hence my comment. A fan pushing air through the heat sink is going to cool better than one pulling.

I know prime puts it under a heavy load, but why would it be shutting down when I am gaming on a very lite game. I will be gaming alt tab out and core temp says like 65c then a few seconds later the whole pc shuts down.
  5. My question is how can you get higher temp in game than in Prime?
  6. rolli59 said:
    My question is how can you get higher temp in game than in Prime?

Because his GPU can contribute to his ambient temp thus raising his CPU temp.
  7. That would simply be a case ventilation issue.
  8. See it has not done this till a few days ago, and when I swape out the liquid with my Hyper 212 Plus(Air) It stays VERY cool idle 14ish prime/game 30-40.
  9. The pump on the H100 may have failed, so the cooler itself is broken.
  10. diellur said:
    The pump on the H100 may have failed, so the cooler itself is broken.

Yeah that is what I am thinking, I only bought it about a month ago so I am going to RMA it back to corsair.
  11. Looks like a plan since it is inconsistent.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Water Cooling Corsair