Sign in with
Your question
Solved

"Power Supply Surges detected during the previous power on." Help!

Last response: in Components
December 18, 2012 10:40:31 PM

Hey guys.
I just got a new computer the other day. Specs are: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570K, 16GB Corsair RAM, Asus 660GTX (non-TI), 3TB HDD and last but not least, SeaSonic 850W Bronze Modular with a Corsair 500R case.

I booted it up the first time just fine using my previous 1TB HDD that had my Windows and games on it and everything was smooth and perfect until I tried to play Battlefield 3. After 2 minutes the PC crashed without a BSOD (complete shutdown) then after 1 second it powered itself on to show this error message:

"Power Supply Surges detected during the previous power on.
ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit!"

I already did my homework and know that the motherboard might have something to do with this, apparently some Asus motherboards insist on showing that error when they don't think the power supply is sufficient for all the parts in the computer, but I think otherwise. There have been some suggestions that I should disable the Anti-Surge feature in the BIOS but I just don't think it's a motherboard issue to begin with and I don't want to risk damaging any parts.

I completely unplugged the computer power cord and waited until I couldn't see any LED lights in the motherboard indicating there is no power for any components and then plugged it back again. Just then, the computer was able to boot successfully without the error message and I was able to run Prime95 to stress test the power supply and CPU. The test ran successfully for about 1 hour, until I stopped the test and decided to launch BF3 again, 5 minutes in and the same thing happened and once again I couldn't power on the PC without getting that error message. Now I'm thinking my PSU is defective for sure but I wanted to get other opinions before I turn in to the store I bought it from.

Thanks.

P.S. I don't know if this is important to mention but whenever there is power connected to the power supply it makes a high frequency hiss that's really noticeable and annoying regardless if the PC is on or not, I'm not sure if that's remotely related to the problem though.

Best solution

a c 694 ) Power supply
a c 299 Ĉ ASUS
December 18, 2012 10:42:32 PM

It is a tough one since the Asus regulation might be wrong as well making it a board defect.
December 18, 2012 10:45:55 PM

rolli59 said:
It is a tough one since the Asus regulation might be wrong as well making it a board defect.

That's all fine and dandy but that doesn't mean the PSU might have a problem?
m
l
Related resources
a c 694 ) Power supply
a c 299 Ĉ ASUS
December 18, 2012 10:48:01 PM

What I am saying it is a toss up between the two possibilities.
m
l
December 29, 2012 3:14:05 AM

Turns out the power supply unit was defective. Got it replaced.
Thanks all for the responses.
m
l
December 29, 2012 3:15:05 AM

Best answer selected by XYMan.
m
l
!