Closed Solved

Found an Old computer and pulled apart.

Socket 7 AMD K6-2

WD Caviar 21000, with a whopping 1GB of storage!

I have the rest of the computer, and i am about to go pull it apart. Will be posting more photos soon.

Any idea what i should do with these components?

Not sure whether to pull everything right apart or disassemble and reassemble the computer (I ave never made a computer and i am planning to build my first in the new year, so this will be some practice for me!)
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about found computer pulled apart
  1. Clean it up, reassemble, put Linux on it, make it a web browsing machine!
  2. payturr said:
    Clean it up, reassemble, put Linux on it, make it a web browsing machine!

Thats a good thought, but i already got my P4 desktop and my old Core 2 Duo 17" Laptop for that :P Anyway, just remembered that it does not work.
  3. I love my P4 desktop :D Hm, maybe super simple file server (throw in more drives of course)
  4. 230W PSU

Some sort of expansion card?

Ditto?

Cpu Pins

Cables

Chipset

RAM
  5. Best answer
    Oh my god it's beautiful c: There should be a thread here for aging machines.
  6. Haha, it was fun pulling it apart :3. It is now sitting on the table.. Going to go put it together again. (dubbed it Humpty Dumpty MKII)
  7. camohanna said:
    Haha, it was fun pulling it apart :3. It is now sitting on the table.. Going to go put it together again. (dubbed it Humpty Dumpty MKII)

Neat :3 Gonna put Linux on it? & Did you clean it? :3
  8. Yes ill put Linux on it. By exterior clean..i blew on it :D. It will work or not! Here is what i am up to now.

The laptop i am on

I have everything plugged in and now need to see if the thing starts up!
  9. Yes, completely befuddled! what two pins do i connect to start it up. I know where they are (with the front led etc) but dont know which one.... Is there a motherboard manual that shows me which pins are which??
  10. Been trying for about 30 minutes to start it up. all in vain. im done with this computer now! *^%^#%#@%#^ *major button mashing sesion*
  11. camohanna said:
    Been trying for about 30 minutes to start it up. all in vain. im done with this computer now! *^%^#%#@%#^ *major button mashing sesion*

Look on the mobo manufacturers website for a pdf of the manual there should be a pin schematic there to show you what to plug in to start it up.
  12. chris2341 said:
    Look on the mobo manufacturers website for a pdf of the manual there should be a pin schematic there to show you what to plug in to start it up.

This is like a 10-15 Year old mobo. dont know what manufacturer. all i know is its super fx 100... looked that up and no help. Ahh, i dont mind. im buying a computer for $10 that i will pull apart and re assemble. It has a p4 :)
  13. camohanna said:
    This is like a 10-15 Year old mobo. dont know what manufacturer. all i know is its super fx 100... looked that up and no help. Ahh, i dont mind. im buying a computer for $10 that i will pull apart and re assemble. It has a p4 :)

What do you have in the way of front panel connections?
  14. Mousemonkey said:
    What do you have in the way of front panel connections?

I have pulled them all out! I know that i can start it up by touching the on ones together but am not sure which two they are.. Dont matter now as i have finished with that computer and i am building myself a budget P4 pc that has hyperthreading for under $100NZD
  15. Best answer selected by camohanna.
Ask a new question

Read More

Western Digital Computers Components