Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Port forwarding port 80 blocks Internet for everyone else

Last response: in Networking
Share
August 7, 2011 4:20:40 AM

Hello,
I have a DSL-524B from D-Link. My problem is, whenever I Port Forward port 80 to my comp's IP to host a web server, all the other computers connected to the router are unable to access the Internet. So, I set up no-ip to use port 8080, but, this exposes my ip and even when masking, if you look at the HTML code, you get the ip.
I need to know how to open up port 80 without restricting Internet access to only my comp, or any other work around.
Thanks
August 7, 2011 4:52:28 AM

You may need to use a more advanced router than that one in order to configure it properly. What you want to do could be done, but I don't know that model well enough to say what it is capable of doing.

If you can add DD-WRT or other advanced firmware to your router, it would be able to do it, BUT I can't find any indication your router can use it, so you may be stuck with replacing it or something.

m
0
l

Best solution

August 7, 2011 4:53:42 AM

would it be possible to place the web server into the DMZ of your router?

just make sure you have a good firewall on the web server.
Share
Related resources
August 7, 2011 5:28:57 AM

Create a new virtual server entry
m
0
l
August 7, 2011 6:39:51 AM

MysticMiner said:
You may need to use a more advanced router than that one in order to configure it properly. What you want to do could be done, but I don't know that model well enough to say what it is capable of doing.

If you can add DD-WRT or other advanced firmware to your router, it would be able to do it, BUT I can't find any indication your router can use it, so you may be stuck with replacing it or something.

I figured... I have indeed tried to find custom firmware for it, and what can I say? Even googling the router's name is a pain, always another shows up (mostly a wireless one, and this model is wired only).
Emerald said:
would it be possible to place the web server into the DMZ of your router?

just make sure you have a good firewall on the web server.

I didn't want to resort to that, but, here I go.... and that did work perfectly.

gnomio said:
Create a new virtual server entry

That's what I had been doing all along, since, I haven't found in this model any "port forwarding". Just, virtual server (and port triggering which has never worked for anything :/  ).
m
0
l
August 7, 2011 6:55:34 AM

Who ever came up with the stupid idea to create these routers with build in modems should be sent into space.

separate modem and separate router will almost always give you better results and flexibility.

another option would be to set your D-Link into bridge mode, which should make it a modem, and add a different router. one that can support DD-WRT would be advisable.

check their database before buying.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
m
0
l
August 8, 2011 5:45:07 AM

efaj said:
Hello,
So, I set up no-ip to use port 8080, but, this exposes my ip and even when masking, if you look at the HTML code, you get the ip.


Sorry if I am off topic here and someone yell at me if I am wrong, I never used no-ip, but isn't no-ip just a DNS name you can type instead of you IP address. But it doesn't really hide the IP address. just makes it more human friendly. All someone needs to do is ping your DNS name and it will resolve to the IP. If you just want to change it back to port 80 so you hide your IP don't bother they can ping that DNS name and get your ip with or without a web server running.
m
0
l
August 9, 2011 3:53:44 AM

Best answer selected by efaj.
m
0
l
!