Should I replace PSU for this computer?

acuben

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Hello everyone. It seems like I need to get a PSU but I don't know what's good and what not.
I'd like to hear everyone opinions.

I just bought this( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229361 )
and I read review here saying how bad Xtreme gear is and PSU and fans/heatsink (I don't know if they meant CPU fan and heatsink) should be replaced right away.
I didn't want to void warrant so I decided to use it "as it is".
Even before 2 weeks the computer stopped worked (getting blue screen-clockwatchdogtimeout, computer froze, looked like CPU was damage. Im not sure what really happened).
Newegg is sending me a replace and while I waited, I googled a little more about Xtreme gear PSU and it does seem to have bad rating.

Convinced, I decided to get a new PSU, but it's hard to figure which ones right for me so I'm asking for help.

1. Should I get new PSU? Or is Xtreme gear really not that bad?

2. What wattage PSU do I need?
when i tried this website
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
It said minimum PSU wattage is 287W
recommended PSU wattage is 337W
(but I didn't understand some of the components so I left them blank...)
here's the computer specs: (it's also on that first link under details)
AMD FX-8120 3.1GHz x64, 8 core (AM3+
8gb ddr3 1333
1TB sata 7200rpm
24x DVD+/-R, DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB
Sound card - Integrated
motherboard: AMD 760G

This PSU that comes with computer is 700W. Isn't this a little overkill?
Should I stick with 650~700W PSU? or buy a 450~500W PSU? (or even lower?)

3. Is there anything I should know regarding on compatibility before I buy one? Would any PSU work with any desktop computer? any CPU? any Operating System? any video card? etc

4. If PSU is at least bronze 80+ certified, can I safely assume that it's a good PSU?
I mean... are there any other things that makes a good PSu...a good PSU? (consistent voltage? etc)

(After figuring out what wattage I need from question 2, and then checking out PSU from bestbuy/fries/newegg, I'll ask this later)
What brand /model PSU should I get? (with given wattage from Question 2?)

I know it's really lengthy, I would appreciate if you help out even on one question, thanks ^^

Solution
I wish Cyberpower would not call that rig the Gamer Ultra... it has the lowest level gaming card in it, Anything lower isnt really for gaming at all....

Anyways... The calculator is correct, 300w is more than you need for that rig as it is now. I would recommend getting a quality 450w or so PSU but hey its under warranty right <grin> My goto power supply in that range is the corsair builders series 430w ($36 after rebate on newegg) or the cx500 for $40.

I would suggest you consider a PSU once you've used your new computer for a while. If you see that you need a better graphics card then I would get a new PSU to go with it. If the Cyberpower unit takes out the new card they won't cover it under their warranty... but for now I would...

popatim

Titan
I wish Cyberpower would not call that rig the Gamer Ultra... it has the lowest level gaming card in it, Anything lower isnt really for gaming at all....

Anyways... The calculator is correct, 300w is more than you need for that rig as it is now. I would recommend getting a quality 450w or so PSU but hey its under warranty right <grin> My goto power supply in that range is the corsair builders series 430w ($36 after rebate on newegg) or the cx500 for $40.

I would suggest you consider a PSU once you've used your new computer for a while. If you see that you need a better graphics card then I would get a new PSU to go with it. If the Cyberpower unit takes out the new card they won't cover it under their warranty... but for now I would use the 700 that comes with it at least while its under warranty.

Solution

Hi - 1st, I agree with pop - that's not a good quality PSU that came with your system, but
you should continue to use it while in warranty. I believe if you replace it, they would back
out of warranty for anything else that might fail in the system.

Most any PSU you find on the popular online sites will be OK. Check back here if needed.

Bronze 80+ does not necessarily mean it's good quality, altho it gives you a better chance.
Best thing to do is check back here in the forum when you are ready to replace
current psu (450w - 550w if you upgrade gpu)

Tom