Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can someone explain my pc (cpu)performance?

Last response: in CPUs
December 19, 2012 1:26:43 AM

Hello,
First i want to say that these are my destop-pc specs.
I've got intel core i5-3450cpu @ 3.10GHz
8GB RAM
AMD RADEON HD 7750

Anyways my question is that does low-balance-high performance power setting matters in gaming?
I know it sounds like a dumb question, but it's just that for my pc i can't find any differences between them in performance (fps) when i play my games.
My low setting seems to be the same as high setting.

so what's the actual difference between them in terms of performance? I assume there should be some differences. On my old laptop it does matter.
I did not change any of the plan settings here, in fact i set them back to default to make sure.
What's going on? am i really saving power lol.
December 19, 2012 1:43:41 AM

How's the battery life when set to high performance vs balanced vs low? I don't have a laptop that is less than four years old so I can't comment on the performance of newer ones with the faster intel i3, i5 or i7 processors. I do know that the laptop I have set at high performance (for editing video) has a shorter battery life than if I use a power saving setting.
http://blog.laptopmag.com/windows-advanced-power-option...
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/31...
December 19, 2012 2:12:11 AM

kenrivers said:
How's the battery life when set to high performance vs balanced vs low? I don't have a laptop that is less than four years old so I can't comment on the performance of newer ones with the faster intel i3, i5 or i7 processors. I do know that the laptop I have set at high performance (for editing video) has a shorter battery life than if I use a power saving setting.
http://blog.laptopmag.com/windows-advanced-power-option...
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/31...

Oh, the question at hand is about my desktop (edit: i noticed i said kestop lol, changed to desktop now)
Im just saying that my laptop that i previously owned, when change power setting - it did have an impact on performance.
Was wondering why it has no effect on my desktop when gaming.I know they're different but still, desktop power setting should matter somewhat. I play on low-power almost on every new/recent game on high settings (playable fps depending on game, always higher than 30)
Switching to balance or high doesnt affect the fps at all, no difference.
Related resources
December 19, 2012 3:07:18 AM

Sorry, overlooked the desktop part. I'm venturing a guess that you don't see a difference because the desktop is not running off a battery. However, the power scheme does affect computer components such as hard drives which can be turned off after a period of inactivity. I notice this when I access one of the drives I have not used in, let's say, 30 minutes. When I access the drive I can hear it spin up. As far as the applications I use I don't notice a difference in performance.
a c 179 à CPUs
December 19, 2012 5:02:48 AM

with desktop intel speed step and c states work different then a laptop. on a desktop with the c states on..with light work or webbing..the cpu is going to turn off unused cores and slow down the main one. i have an asus sabertooth with a 3450 cpu. with web stuff and windows 8 i can see my cpu throttle back to 1.6 from it max speed.the other cores will be off. under load or gaming the cores come on and max out.

Best solution

December 19, 2012 5:33:36 AM

Well, in some aspects you are saving power but cpu wise, no. It's really hard to notice this difference, because your 7750 doesn't came anywhere near close to pushing your cpu to its limits. Your laptops power settings lowers the max cpu clock, but your games aren't pushing it beyond this limit, and thus there is no fps drop. This is why in your old laptop there was an actual difference. Let me guess, weaker processor? Now, put a gtx 690 in there, and depending on your settings, you might notice a difference.
December 19, 2012 8:50:54 AM

Best answer selected by meikaina.
!