Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First time build - is it worth?

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 4, 2012 6:27:50 PM

Purpose - Single Home System (replace 7 year old HP/Compaq NW8440, still using with SSD upgrade)
Use - Video/Photo storage and editing, HTPC (conversion and streaming), browsing, casual gaming
Criteria - spend more on long term/reusable components like Case, PSU, Blue Ray etc and have all features available now on other components to limit component change for 3-5 years

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $299.00
Asus P8Z77-V PREMIUM ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $429.00
Lian-Li PC-Z60B ATX Mid Tower Case $175.00
Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory $59.00
Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $89.00
SeaSonic 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $186.00
GPU (for future upgrade) $-
Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $99.00
Pioneer Electronics USA Blu Ray Computer Drive, BDR-2207B5PK $87.00
OS (Multi) $-
Asus PA248Q 24.1" Monitor $329.00
Total - $1,752.00

Is above worth?

More about : time build worth

August 4, 2012 6:55:42 PM

spending way to much on mobo

get a ASrock extreme6, Gigabyte ud5, or just some MOBO around $160-$200

get a video card, recommend 670

downgrade PSU, get around 500-750W(go to 750W if you plan on adding another card)

Downgrade case into a 500R(not really a downgrade since 500R is better in my opinion)

everything else looks fine
August 4, 2012 8:25:12 PM

downgrade the ram to gskill ares 1600mhz 4x4gb cl9 ram. they sell for 88.99

downgrade the psu to a xfx xxx 750w instead. still very efficient and made by seasonic

get a nice asus directcu2 top gtx670 for the video card. a new batch is coming out later this month

there are asus blu-ray burners that sell for 75 bucks

get a pa238q instead. just as good other than the 16.9 vs 16.10 (pa248q) aspect ratio. i have the pa238qr which is a consumer version of the pa238q. the qr is just lacking picture in picture.

just get a nice 256gb version instead. get it when its on sale. if not, get a sandisk extreme 240gb for 174.99

Related resources
August 4, 2012 8:26:58 PM

oh and follow whatever boulbox said as well
August 4, 2012 8:49:51 PM

As the above stated. PSU is overkill Case is pretty expesnive, Motherboard is overpriced.

Check out my $1100 build guide here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
Just switch the i5 3570K for the i7 3770K.
You're set pretty much and you saved a lot. You don't need to get the GPU though if you don't want to.

August 4, 2012 8:57:04 PM

thank you...

1. On RAM, does it make any visible performance difference with 1600/2133?

2. I chose seasonic platinum as I can get it $180, almost same (+- 20) as any good modular PSU above 750W. Only issue I saw was length bit longer.

3. Lian Li, as it had few key things I was looking for - low weight, hot swap (I have many hard drives with photos and videos...) and clean look.

4. will check on 238q, I missed it as was researching with 1900X1200 options...

5. I will be adding SSD later as and when prices comes down further...now 128 only for OS and key applications. Also, premium does have 32GB SSD for caching...Same with GPU, not buying now, could be another 2 months.

6. BD, pioneer 2207 supports BDXL and comes with PowerDVD/Cyberlink - for $12 difference thought that is ok.

7. On MB, I wanted an ASUS, Wanted dual Lan and Wifi (as I couldn't find any good internal dual wifi +BT solution) and TB as I want to keep this MB for another 3-5 years. Other options I saw was UD5 WB (S$210K) or Intel 75K ($290). Any other options?
August 4, 2012 9:13:42 PM

1. Not at all.

2. Not worth it. Not even close, the PSU matters but not that much. You shouldn't be needing to spend anymore than $110 before rebates for a solid 750w.

August 4, 2012 9:14:47 PM

Another question - when HTPC is more important than gaming (very minimal, I use PS3 - casual) is worth adding a GPU? and which would be good?
August 4, 2012 9:18:10 PM

Not really then, if that is the case then don't install a GPU at all. The i5 3570K/i7 3770K's Intel 4000 iGPU should be enough for you.
August 4, 2012 9:21:57 PM

aznshinobi said:
Not really then, if that is the case then don't install a GPU at all. The i5 3570K/i7 3770K's Intel 4000 iGPU should be enough for you.


ok, thank you
August 4, 2012 9:22:48 PM

aznshinobi said:
1. Not at all.

2. Not worth it. Not even close, the PSU matters but not that much. You shouldn't be needing to spend anymore than $110 before rebates for a solid 750w.


thanks, let me check 750W-850W PSUs (Corsair/Seasonic) - in fact I think I just missed deals on Corsair...
August 4, 2012 9:25:37 PM

TheBigTroll said:
downgrade the ram to gskill ares 1600mhz 4x4gb cl9 ram. they sell for 88.99

downgrade the psu to a xfx xxx 750w instead. still very efficient and made by seasonic

get a nice asus directcu2 top gtx670 for the video card. a new batch is coming out later this month

there are asus blu-ray burners that sell for 75 bucks

get a pa238q instead. just as good other than the 16.9 vs 16.10 (pa248q) aspect ratio. i have the pa238qr which is a consumer version of the pa238q. the qr is just lacking picture in picture.

just get a nice 256gb version instead. get it when its on sale. if not, get a sandisk extreme 240gb for 174.99


good other than the 16.9 vs 16.10 (pa248q) aspect ratio >> which is better? 16.9 or 16.10? Also, does't depend on OS (like if I put hackinthosh, which one would be better choice?)
August 4, 2012 9:33:05 PM

16:10 and 16:9 are not a big deal honestly. To a standard person you wouldn't notice the quality difference.

Anyways for the PSU why not opt for others other than those two? Corsair is pretty expensive and so is Seasonic. Granted both are quality but still not always worth the cost. The OCZ ZT 750 is modular and cheaper than the Corsair 750TX V2 for the same performance.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
A solid 9 buy the best PSU reviewer out there:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
August 4, 2012 9:37:11 PM

It doesn't matter. Some will like 16:9 and some will like 16:10, but for movies, I can say that 16:9 is better due to no black bars.
August 4, 2012 9:39:01 PM

aznshinobi said:
16:10 and 16:9 are not a big deal honestly. To a standard person you wouldn't notice the quality difference.

Anyways for the PSU why not opt for others other than those two? Corsair is pretty expensive and so is Seasonic. Granted both are quality but still not always worth the cost. The OCZ ZT 750 is modular and cheaper than the Corsair 750TX V2 for the same performance.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
A solid 9 buy the best PSU reviewer out there:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...


I am looking to keep PSU for 7+ years (?? if still needed)...hence wanted to go with the best brand..
August 4, 2012 9:40:11 PM

Missed the cooler question - I do not intent to overclock (other than default MD supported options) at this point. Do I need to add a custom heatsink/fan?
August 4, 2012 9:41:56 PM

Even after 7 years, other cases are still good.
August 4, 2012 9:42:23 PM

PSUs*
August 4, 2012 9:43:18 PM

The OCZ is good enough to last. Those companies are not the only solid brands out there. The ZT series is made by Great Wall which has put out some solid PSUs over the years. It's like how Corsairs are made by CWT only a small amount of them are actually made by Seasonic anymore.

The HSF doesn't matter if you won't overclock.
!