Purpose - Single Home System (replace 7 year old HP/Compaq NW8440, still using with SSD upgrade)
Use - Video/Photo storage and editing, HTPC (conversion and streaming), browsing, casual gaming
Criteria - spend more on long term/reusable components like Case, PSU, Blue Ray etc and have all features available now on other components to limit component change for 3-5 years
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $299.00
Asus P8Z77-V PREMIUM ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $429.00
Lian-Li PC-Z60B ATX Mid Tower Case $175.00
Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory $59.00
Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $89.00
SeaSonic 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $186.00
GPU (for future upgrade) $-
Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $99.00
Pioneer Electronics USA Blu Ray Computer Drive, BDR-2207B5PK $87.00
OS (Multi) $-
Asus PA248Q 24.1" Monitor $329.00
Total - $1,752.00
As the above stated. PSU is overkill Case is pretty expesnive, Motherboard is overpriced.
Check out my $1100 build guide here: http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
Just switch the i5 3570K for the i7 3770K.
You're set pretty much and you saved a lot. You don't need to get the GPU though if you don't want to.
1. On RAM, does it make any visible performance difference with 1600/2133?
2. I chose seasonic platinum as I can get it $180, almost same (+- 20) as any good modular PSU above 750W. Only issue I saw was length bit longer.
3. Lian Li, as it had few key things I was looking for - low weight, hot swap (I have many hard drives with photos and videos...) and clean look.
4. will check on 238q, I missed it as was researching with 1900X1200 options...
5. I will be adding SSD later as and when prices comes down further...now 128 only for OS and key applications. Also, premium does have 32GB SSD for caching...Same with GPU, not buying now, could be another 2 months.
6. BD, pioneer 2207 supports BDXL and comes with PowerDVD/Cyberlink - for $12 difference thought that is ok.
7. On MB, I wanted an ASUS, Wanted dual Lan and Wifi (as I couldn't find any good internal dual wifi +BT solution) and TB as I want to keep this MB for another 3-5 years. Other options I saw was UD5 WB (S$210K) or Intel 75K ($290). Any other options?
The OCZ is good enough to last. Those companies are not the only solid brands out there. The ZT series is made by Great Wall which has put out some solid PSUs over the years. It's like how Corsairs are made by CWT only a small amount of them are actually made by Seasonic anymore.