Better High-level gold-earning skill?

Which is better, from a purely greedy standpoint, skinning or herbalism.
I've never had a skinning character higher than the 20's, and my wife's
herbalist brings in a lot of gold at 300...

Peperin

In <CKvAe.892$mN1.755@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com> "Pepperin" <gjhhjsgh@gjjhj.net> writes:

> Which is better, from a purely greedy standpoint, skinning or herbalism.
> I've never had a skinning character higher than the 20's, and my wife's
> herbalist brings in a lot of gold at 300...

If you're killing things that yield Rugged Leather, you can sell them
in the AH for around 13s each (on my server, anyway.) Not a huge
moneymaker, but a nice bonus since you're already killing the things.

Or, if you have people to help you, you can hunt Devilsaurs in Un'Goro,
and sell the leather for a few g apiece.

On the other hand, my wife went to Un'Goro Crater in search of Mountain
Silversage the other day to brew up some Major Healing pots, and found
exactly two, in an hour of searching.

--
John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
gordon@panix.com

imgame

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2004

Well my take is this.. Herbalism is a great way to make money early on.. but
end game wise it is really slow. Finding the better herbs are much tougher
to get and far less of them. So while killing leave at least the skin..
herbers often spend hours just trying to gather something that gains them no
exp per kill and no other chance of a loot drop.. So short term herb farming
is good .. but other professions will slowly out earn you and level because
they are getting exp during their skills and herbalists are not..

"Pepperin" <gjhhjsgh@gjjhj.net> wrote:

> Which is better, from a purely greedy standpoint, skinning or herbalism.
> I've never had a skinning character higher than the 20's, and my wife's
> herbalist brings in a lot of gold at 300...

Until that weekend, I had both of those gathering professions.
Herbs go quite well. Even midlevel herbs like liferoot and stranglekelp,
which you can farm at level 30 with no problem, go for 10s per piece (of
course, this may vary from server to server).

Skinning in general doesn't make too much money per piece (because there
is too much leather on the market), but:
- You can/have to grind while skinning (+XP)
- You find other stuff while skinning (+$$)
- If you are 55+ and can get a friend, you can go to un'goro to skin
devilsaurs. DS leather goes like hell (>3g each), and DS
gloves/leggings go even better (I payed 45g for my gloves). We're
currently farming them to provide our rogues with the equipment :)

I've found herbalism good when I was only on for about 30 minutes. I
went to ashenvale and farmed all the liferoot + stranglekelp nodes,
plus the occasional briarthorn nodes (briarthorn doesn't sell too
good, but those nodes also contain swiftthistle, which goes like
hell). But I guess if you don't like running around and picking up
flowers, skinning will give you more income.

I've ditched skinning for enchanting now, but it has practical
reasons why I ditched skinning and kept herbalism: I don't NEED
leather in the endgame, but I will need herbs (for mana pots).

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (56) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

"Imgame" <getlost@getlost.com> wrote in message
> Well my take is this.. Herbalism is a great way to make money early on..
> but end game wise it is really slow. Finding the better herbs are much
> tougher to get and far less of them. So while killing leave at least the
> skin.. herbers often spend hours just trying to gather something that
> gains them no exp per kill and no other chance of a loot drop.. So short
> term herb farming is good .. but other professions will slowly out earn
> you and level because they are getting exp during their skills and
> herbalists are not..

I dunno, the best nodes are often slap bang in the middle of heavy mob
areas.

Imgame wrote:
> Well my take is this.. Herbalism is a great way to make money early on.. but
> end game wise it is really slow. Finding the better herbs are much tougher
> to get and far less of them. So while killing leave at least the skin..
> herbers often spend hours just trying to gather something that gains them no
> exp per kill and no other chance of a loot drop.. So short term herb farming
> is good .. but other professions will slowly out earn you and level because
> they are getting exp during their skills and herbalists are not..

My professions are herbalism and mining. Both are at 300. I've found
the secret to making money from herbalism (and mining for that matter)
with a higher lvl character is to not go for quality, but for quantity.
Since my character is lvl 60, I can whip through a mid level area like
Badlands, Swamp of Sorrows, Desolace or Arathi very quickly and gather
large amounts of mid-level herbs and metal. My char is lv 60, so her
aggro radius vs the mobs in these areas is vey small. I can simply
walk past them and go straight to the herb/mineral, harvest it, and
then hop on my mount and go find the next node to be collected.
Stopping to fight mobs cuts into the time that I could be making money.
While the things I collect may not sell for quite as much per unit as
the "uber" herbs/minerals, I easily make up the difference by selling
the larger quantities that I collect.

-Alan
-Lyvanna lvl 60 NE Hunter on Thunderhorn