Six Plus internal ide/scsi devices...

G

I just bought this new mid-tower case with four 5 1/4" bays and six internal 3 1/2" bays. My mainboard has support four eight IDE devices. The problem is my power supply only has five plugs on it (not including the floppy power connectors)... so anyone - what do I do to hook up more devices? Are there power supplys with 10 power connectors? Do I need a 450W with splitters or something? ... or is my case just stupid? (as in I can either hook up five Hard Drives our four CD-ROM's and a hard drive) It only has room for one power supply. Thanks.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you need a high watt power supply to be able to take 6 devices... 450 watts should be enough... and splitters arent hard to come by...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
weather or not you need as much as 450 depends on the rest of your system, one of mine past systems had 4 ide drives and a cd and was hapilly running off a 230W psu, but this was only a k6-2, I wouldnt try running an athlon off it with NO dirves. If I were you, I'd buy some splitters (only cheap) and see how you get on, if you get stability problems/random reboots etc AFTER connecting the new drives then you may well be underpowered.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

TRENDING THREADS