Your question

Small Business Server, Help

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Servers
  • Components
Last response: in Components
December 19, 2012 7:02:52 AM

What is the best way to keep the data backed up?

Is SSD a good idea? (All of the data combined including OS is only about 40Gb)

Any other recommendations?

----

Basically just replaced some older parts in our "server". The old IDE hard drive has recently started making very loud and worrisome noises.

So the current set up is:
i5-750
Gigabyte GA-p55-ud3r
GT 610
7200 rpm HDD
430W 80+ and 8Gb RAM
Windows xp x64

Basically, the server holds a bunch of data: addresses, comments, phone numbers, etc. That are pulled up by other computers constantly. Maybe around 500 times a day by 6 other computers..
All of the company data is about 8Gb total.

More about : small business server

Anonymous
December 19, 2012 9:52:38 AM

The best way to backup data is by using removable media such as DAT, DLT, LTO etc and taking the date cartridges off site. It's no use backing up data to another hard drive in the same machine, in the event of a fire or other disaster that destroys the server you've still lost all your data.
m
l
December 19, 2012 11:27:18 PM

youve got 2 esata orts on that back of that server. I would use 3 external esata based drive. leave 1 attached for a local backup and the other two use for offsite backup. Do a backup before you leave for the day and bring it home/offsite. Bring back the older one in the morning. this way you have the local backup for quick fixes, the one you have on you plus the 'disaster' backup thats offsite. Theres not much that could take out all 3 drives.

Another option is an offsite server instead of 2 of those esata drives. This is what I do. I have a friend a few hours away and I backup to his server and he backs up to mine. I still keep a local backup via esata powered seagate 2tb external drives.

if you had usb3 I would say just grab some high speed usb3 flash drives.
m
l
December 20, 2012 2:01:14 AM

popatim said:
youve got 2 esata orts on that back of that server. I would use 3 external esata based drive. leave 1 attached for a local backup and the other two use for offsite backup. Do a backup before you leave for the day and bring it home/offsite. Bring back the older one in the morning. this way you have the local backup for quick fixes, the one you have on you plus the 'disaster' backup thats offsite. Theres not much that could take out all 3 drives.

Another option is an offsite server instead of 2 of those esata drives. This is what I do. I have a friend a few hours away and I backup to his server and he backs up to mine. I still keep a local backup via esata powered seagate 2tb external drives.

if you had usb3 I would say just grab some high speed usb3 flash drives.

Thanks. What program should I use to create the backup? Should it be an image or just the core files?
m
l
!