Best way to install drivers for custom pc

bscarl88

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
So my parts came, built the pc and I'm about to install my OS, but I would like to know if there is an easy way to install all the drivers besides just downloading them individually from the website

Solution
Well, the motherboard and video card will come with CD-ROMs (or DVD-Rom) to install the drivers, the reason its advisable to download them directly from the website is due to the fact that by the time the end-user (you) buys the product so much time will have elapsed since it was packaged that the drivers are out of date.

Although, you have to at least install the LAN drivers from the disk that comes with the mobo (or have it downloaded and ready to go) as the computer will not have internet until you do.

You might find on the motherboards website that they have a single file with everything if you look. Asus at least does.
Well, the motherboard and video card will come with CD-ROMs (or DVD-Rom) to install the drivers, the reason its advisable to download them directly from the website is due to the fact that by the time the end-user (you) buys the product so much time will have elapsed since it was packaged that the drivers are out of date.

Although, you have to at least install the LAN drivers from the disk that comes with the mobo (or have it downloaded and ready to go) as the computer will not have internet until you do.

You might find on the motherboards website that they have a single file with everything if you look. Asus at least does.

Solution

bscarl88

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Hmmm, I didn't get a cd drive so I guess I'll just have to do USB and transfer the drivers after downloading them from another computer.

I was really hoping there was a website that would download all the up to date drivers for me

G

no drivers with the motherboard? thats sad. it may save a little time to just get the network driver to put on the USB. that should give you internet access to get the rest of the drivers for your new build.

btw, what motherboard did you get?

G

open box or new?
really doesn't matter since you are ready to get it going but still that sucks. i do believe everyone else gets the driver CD.

did you piss then off somehow?
j/k

Well I do not know about intel boards but I have not ever had to install lan drivers for the onboard Ethernet cards to work out of the box with AMD boards. In fact I can't remember the last time I had to install mainboard drivers period. But to be on the safe side you could download all the latest drivers and put them on a usb stick and have them ready to go after you install the OS.

Well I do not know about intel boards but I have not ever had to install lan drivers for the onboard Ethernet cards to work out of the box with AMD boards

Both my $180 Asus Sabertooth and the $180 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 I had before it required LAN drivers to be installed prior to the onboard ethernet to function. Now for an actual LAN card, it may very be "Plug and play", but not onboard Ethernet.

G

gee and to think my reply was going to simply be: b*llsh*t.

I was just trying to clarify since I think the fellow was confusing PCI based cards with onboard ethernet. Lets give the benefit of the doubt here and not be like some of the other jackasses who expects everyone to know everything and insults those who don't. :ouch:

G

take it as the compliment it was meant to be than an insult towards another.

man i remember XP can turn into such a driver nightmare. switch out a NIC or get another soundcard, find the driver and keep my fingers crossed. win7 is such a dream compared to that.