Sign in with
Your question

Help on CPU and Motherboard

Last response: in CPUs
December 19, 2012 7:27:45 AM

As my title of the thread says I am looking to build a new system arround either the AMD FX 6300 CPU or the AMD FX 8350. My first question is which one is better for gaming/everyday use? Is there any better CPU at the range of £150-£200 for gaming/everyday use? If so please state.
My next question is what motherbaord would you go for with either of these two CPUs? The motheboard should withstand future OCing and be good for everyday use.
Thank you

More about : cpu motherboard

a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2012 7:55:45 AM

It depends on what sort of programs you intend to use really. 6300/8350 are pretty similar as they are based on the same tech, if you are using software that can actually use 8 threads then the 8350 becomes quite a good processor.
Having said that, if you're budget is that healthy, and your predominant focus is games and low use stuff (web, word processing, listening to music) your best to be looking at Intel. You can pick up an i5 3570K for £165 or so, well within your budget and for gaming (and anything single threaded) it's significantly better than anything AMD has.
December 19, 2012 12:18:39 PM

what about i7 2700k ? or the i7 3770k? because their price is roguly £210 and £240 repectively, would they be better choices and what motherboard would i use for gaming/(ocing in the future) with those two cpus?
The reason my budget is healthy is because this pc must support me through my 5 years of uni.. So gaming is #1 priority then some CAD design programs and etc this needs to be a great all rounder.. My total budget is about 1-1.2k (if you have any build please suggest them)
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 19, 2012 1:21:14 PM

most important question is what gpu do you have to work with the cpu. because that is the most important aspect for gaming.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2012 1:41:31 PM

I reckon trying to plan a PC to last 5 years is probably pointless. A 5year old PC can be perfectly serviceable but it's unlikely to function in its original purpose as tech demands march forwards.
My PC is an all rounder, predominantly for gaming, day to day stuff, and CAD. It cost a lot less than 1.2k and can currently run anything going.
If I were you, I'd consider spending less and putting money away for another day.

If you do want to spend that much, you can get a hell of a lot. Does this budget have to include stuff like OS/Monitor and any peripherals? It'll hurt the performance quite a bit, but you'll still have plenty to spend.
December 19, 2012 8:31:28 PM

thequn said:
most important question is what gpu do you have to work with the cpu. because that is the most important aspect for gaming.

I was either thinking Crossfiring 2x 7000 series or single 7970 GHz Edition
16GB ram
SSD
1/2TB HDD
Quote:
I reckon trying to plan a PC to last 5 years is probably pointless. A 5year old PC can be perfectly serviceable but it's unlikely to function in its original purpose as tech demands march forwards.
My PC is an all rounder, predominantly for gaming, day to day stuff, and CAD. It cost a lot less than 1.2k and can currently run anything going.
If I were you, I'd consider spending less and putting money away for another day.

If you do want to spend that much, you can get a hell of a lot. Does this budget have to include stuff like OS/Monitor and any peripherals? It'll hurt the performance quite a bit, but you'll still have plenty to spend.

No I got OS windows 7 and i got my 24Inch 1080p tv i will be using as screen.

My question here is really to get a base for my build, wether to choose amd fx 8350 i7 2700k or i7 3770k and what MB to put with each CPU. After that i can see how much i want to spend on a GPU.
So if you can please suggest out of those 3 CPUs which one would you choose, and why and which MB would you pair it with.

So far i know these 3 compenets are a must in the build, 16gb ram 1600mhz, SSD and 1 or 2 1tb/2tb HDDS
!