Which Processor is good for gmaing Intel or AMD?

I am upgrading my PC in January and i am confused about what processor to buy
Intel i3 2120 or AMD FX 4100 or Intel Pentium g630?
I will play games like Ghost Recon Future Soldier
Hitman Absolution
Battlefield 3
I have intel Pentium E5200 and
ASUS En210 1GB DDR 3 Graphics Card
2GB RAM

And I will upgrade 4 gb ram
graphics card will be same
and also need advise for good am3 motherboard.

PLEASE ADVICE :bounce:
Intel i3 2120 is a dual core processor
AMD FX4100 is a quad core processor
9 answers Last reply
More about which processor good gmaing intel
  1. i3 without a doubt. It could be argued that both are dual core - many people would say FX4100 isn't true quad core, because it doesn't have four complete cores. It has two pairs of cores, which share computing resources. It's kind of like two Oreos. In a way it's four (crunchy layers) but there are only two filling layers... so you don't really have four. An i5 or Phenom II X4 is kind of like four crunchy layers with four filling layers. Bet nobody ever explained it to you like that ;-) The i3 is physically two cores, though each core can perform two instructions at once, so the system will see it as four cores (this is called Hyperthreading).

All that aside, the i3 is simply faster in gaming.
  2. +1 The i3 is the much faster gaming GPU
  3. I should add though that any of those CPUs combined with GT210 graphics is going to perform very poorly in games. But a CPU upgrade is an important first step before you address graphics card.
  4. Well the i3. A ton of people really just don't like AMD FX CPUs. Although they are fine. The only
    problem I see with getting an i3 is that it won't overclock very well, because they are locked processors.
    But the thing is that if I were you I'd still get the i3 because.... it's just better.
  5. melikepie said:
    Well the i3. A ton of people really just don't like AMD FX CPUs. Although they are fine. The only
    problem I see with getting an i3 is that it won't overclock very well, because they are locked processors.
    But the thing is that if I were you I'd still get the i3 because.... it's just better.

^+1, the FX series are not as bad as most people make it out to be. In addition, Belial88 are you saying that the Phenom II x6 1100t is crap? You claim that all Phenom hexacores are crap but have you seen the performance of the 1100t? It is one of the best AMD processors ever made! And yes, it is a Hexacore....
  6. Intel.

S1155 Mobo. G840 CPU and the best GPU you can afford. 8GB DDR3.

Mobo H61 £40
    CPU G840 £50
    memory DDR3 - 1600 £30

GPU = Best you can afford.

You can upgrade the CPU at a later date.
  7. socialfox said:
    ^+1, the FX series are not as bad as most people make it out to be. In addition, Belial88 are you saying that the Phenom II x6 1100t is crap? You claim that all Phenom hexacores are crap but have you seen the performance of the 1100t? It is one of the best AMD processors ever made! And yes, it is a Hexacore....

I'd normally agree with your posts, but you've seen how these perform in games?

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/fx-8350-vishera-review,review-32550.html

Gets beat by the X4s and FXs. Intel really is the way to go for gaming.
  8. sam_p_lay said:
    I'd normally agree with your posts, but you've seen how these perform in games?

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/fx-8350-vishera-review,review-32550.html

Gets beat by the X4s and FXs. Intel really is the way to go for gaming.

I was only stating that the FX series and Phenom (Hexacores) aren't as bad as Belial88 makes it out to be. In truth, Intel is better way to go for processor in gaming but that doesn't render AMD useless im gaming. In fact, AMD processors are okay at playing games but if you want more performance in the CPU then Intel is the way to go. In my opinion, AMD is for those who wish to save money while Intel is a bit more pricier but offers more performance. I am well aware how technologically advanced Intel is with their processor compared to AMD which are behind.
  9. Quote:
    The phenom is a great chip, of course.

But for the price point, phenom hexacores are crap. And that's what decide what CPU to buy, any chip can be the best if you find a good deal on it, find a bulldozer on sale and it might be the best cpu to buy.

Single threaded performance, of course, is the same as any deneb (or if you want to get technical, slightly, insignificantly better because of improved IMC, so if you want to nitpick, we'll say zosma). Add to the fact that nothing uses 6 cores, but rather 4, and there's no reason to buy phenom hexacore, especially when you can buy an i5 for the same price which is 2x the performance. At least with phenom quadcores, your paying 1/3rd the price of an i5. With hexacore, your paying 3x the price for the exact same performance for gaming.

Most video games only run dualcore, and very few appreciate quadcore, ie bf3. As youll see in benchmarks, tri and quad cores are only appreciated by games because its the OS and background applications being offloaded onto the 3rd/4th core.

Now, streaming, hexacore is better than quad, because h264 codex performance increases drastically with core count, but the OP did not mention streaming, and, the real problem with streaming is not encoding, but capturing, which is almost entirely a software, not a hardware issue (provided you have a quadcore, at least). So a hexacore really isn't going to perform much better than a quadcore for streaming, as long as you got 'enough' power for h264 performnace, your good, and a phenom x4 will have that covered.

I dont know why youd praise the 1100t. For the price point, it's absolute garbage, you could find a 3570k for cheaper which is about 200-300% better, not to mention if you overclock it, and clock for clock is better, and it'll reach 4.5ghz easily while the 1100t will struggle to hit 4.2 and simply won't go any higher. In almost all applications, PARTICULARLY gaming, the phenom x4 will perform exactly the same.

Not to mention it's actually a pretty bad chip. DDR2 memory controller, limited memory bandwidth, insane power consumption, you gotta buy an intel priced motherboard to run this thing, ie you need an 8+1 phase or a very high quality 4+1 low rds on heatsinked phase.

You do raise a valid point on the price point of the 1100t, but back in the days when it wasn't rare it used to sell around $199 and go on sale price which was quite decent for processor at that time. Now we can't directly compare the 3570k and 1100t since both were made around different times.

You can compare the 1100t to these intel processor which were around the time of the 1100t.
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/imageview.php?image=30493

I wont lie that the 3570k does destroy the 1100t but the 3570k is newer.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Intel Processors