Sign in with
Your question

Bad sli gtx 580 performance?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 14, 2012 10:26:10 AM

So basically im having bad FPS with a couple of games here is my current setup

2 GTX 580's in SLI mode (whitch likes to turn itself off for some reason don't know why)
Intel core i7 2600k 3.4 GHZ
16GB of ram

Got 49 FPS in Mafia 2 with everything on high and 1920X1080 Resolution Seems like with my specs i would be getting more FPS then 49 Thats with PhysX turned off aswell 45 with physx on.

Any ideas?
June 14, 2012 10:31:22 AM

Sorry thats Mafia 2 bentchmark
m
l
June 14, 2012 10:33:10 AM

you are only getting low fps in mafia 2 or in all games?
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
June 14, 2012 10:35:48 AM

I ran 2 GTX 580s for over a year and they worked without fail. Great framerates, but it goes without saying some games are worse than others with framerates.

You don't have a bottleneck of any sort in that CPU. So when people say overclock the CPU to 5GHz to get better video performance out of your system, they're full of ish.

Which game are you getting 49fps?

Also, each time you update your driver, SLI shuts off on you. This is normal. You just turn it back on after the update.

If SLI is shutting off on you at other times, you might have a bad SLI connector. Connect it so the teeth on the connector are in the up position relative to your case. Make sure it's on there good. Just for the heck of it, if you have it over the rear-most connectors (relative to the case), reseat the connector on the front-most connectors with the teeth up.
m
l
June 14, 2012 10:37:08 AM

If one of your cards turns itself off randomly you may have either a faulty card, PCIe slot, or insufficient power. More details required.
m
l
June 14, 2012 10:40:10 AM

Sure

2 EVGA gtx 580's in SLI mode
16GB patriot division 2 1600 mhz
intel core i7 2600k 3.40 GHZ
kingston v series 128gb ssd
msi p67a-GD65 motherboard
cooler master gold silent pro series 1200 Watt power supply
Windows 7
m
l
June 14, 2012 10:46:28 AM

What do you think the problem is then?
m
l
June 14, 2012 10:49:00 AM

Even if it says SLI is connected in the Nvidia control panel that could still be the problem?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 14, 2012 10:56:34 AM

Did you just install the second card by chance?
m
l
June 14, 2012 11:14:27 AM

They were installed at the same time. when i built the computer , just noticed on the sli connector there is only one slot filled on both the cars for the connecter not both notches.
m
l
June 14, 2012 11:15:19 AM

That must be it , i only have one bridge connecting them and its not a double bridge dang. thats gotta be it
m
l
June 14, 2012 11:26:23 AM

Just did another test got 60 FPS phsyx on and off . i dont understand why its so low.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 14, 2012 11:41:08 AM

You only need one SLI connector. So you're OK there.

Your framerates are terrible:
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3777/msi_geforce_gtx_5...

You should see better performance even with just one card.

Almost seems like one of the cards is not running when you game or like we said, your SLI connector could be bad.

If the connector is bad, you should be able to remove it and run with one card and get better framerates. If you can run both cards individually in either slot and get better framerates, get a new connector and you'll most likely see the problem resolved.
m
l
June 14, 2012 3:51:05 PM

Agree with Fonzie, your framerates are terrible. With your system, you should be pumping out well over 100 FPS on Mafia2. I suggest you run a test. Assuming both cards are being picked up by the Nvidia control panel and it is happy (no errors, both cards show up, SLI selected), then assign one of the cards to PhysX only. That will run the game with only one card, with the other one exclusively doing PhysX processing. Post the FPS here.

Turn it back into SLI mode, and take the FPS again. Post.

Take any other game, and post FPS with the cards in SLI mode.

It is possible that it is the game which is cramping your SLI style. I used to have 2 8800 GTS cards in SLI, and logged over 150 hours in Mafia2 (never did get that 1000-mile achievement). I found that dedicating one card to PhysX dramatically upped my FPS in that game. For whatever reason, in SLI mode the FPS stunk. At the time I thought it was because my 8800's were too old, but then started thinking it was something in the game. That doesn't explain why you are only getting 49 FPS when the link Fonzie provided clearly shows you should be getting over 100, but it may simply be a combination of hardware (too much RAM???) which is choking performance for that particular game. The benchmark on the TweakTown site only had 6GB on a 64-bit Win7 system, whereas you have 16. I know it is counterintuitive to think that more RAM means less performance, but it wouldn't be the first time an app had difficulty addressing that amount of space.

I hope you are running 64-bit Win7, otherwise your 16 GB is wasted.

BM.
m
l
June 17, 2012 4:53:29 AM

I am running windows 7 64Bit i try'd the putting one card to just physx and still got same ammount of FPS , the nvidia control panel says both cards are recognized and running fine and in SLI any other ideas?
m
l
June 17, 2012 5:35:31 AM

Just did a unigene heaven benchmark its not showing me having Two gtx 580's in SLI like it should be But in my Nvidia control panel it shows them working fine heres the benchmark

m
l
June 19, 2012 5:57:09 PM

exposed said:
Just did a unigene heaven benchmark its not showing me having Two gtx 580's in SLI like it should be But in my Nvidia control panel it shows them working fine heres the benchmark

http://i50.tinypic.com/11hqj40.png

Well now, I am going to have to completely agree with Fonzie. Since you have 2 GTX 580's, each one would come with the necessary SLI connector. This :

http://www.amazon.com/Nvidia-flexible-bridge-interconne...

If I were you, I would shut down, pull the power cable out of the back, and then open your case to remove the SLI connector. Find the connector which came with your second 580, and install that one. It sounds like both of your cards are fine (hence the card recognition in control panel), but that they are not operating in SLI. To me, the most obvious suspect would be the SLI connector.

Also, one more thing. On my Asus mobo, there is a physical card which needs to be manually turned around if you run in SLI mode. It is called the Asus EZ Selector Card Connector and allows you to set your machine in Single Card or SLI mode. It is set to Single Card by default. You had to physically remove the card, turn it around, and set it back in. I don't know if that is also required for your MSI board, but without it, I could not run in SLI mode.

BM.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 19, 2012 6:20:57 PM

bat123man said:
Well now, I am going to have to completely agree with Fonzie. Since you have 2 GTX 580's, each one would come with the necessary SLI connector. This :

http://www.amazon.com/Nvidia-flexible-bridge-interconne...

If I were you, I would shut down, pull the power cable out of the back, and then open your case to remove the SLI connector. Find the connector which came with your second 580, and install that one. It sounds like both of your cards are fine (hence the card recognition in control panel), but that they are not operating in SLI. To me, the most obvious suspect would be the SLI connector.

Also, one more thing. On my Asus mobo, there is a physical card which needs to be manually turned around if you run in SLI mode. It is called the Asus EZ Selector Card Connector and allows you to set your machine in Single Card or SLI mode. It is set to Single Card by default. You had to physically remove the card, turn it around, and set it back in. I don't know if that is also required for your MSI board, but without it, I could not run in SLI mode.

BM.

SLI connectors don't come with the Nvidia cards. Motherboards either are or aren't certified for SLI and the SLI connector comes with the certified motherboards; not the Nvidia cards. Since you think all video cards come supplied with the connectors, I can tell you have only AMD experience?

I think we both agree OP needs to check the SLI connection.

That board, when it was still sold retail came with an SLI bridge:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The board BM was working with where he had to turn a card around was probably AMD? There's nothing you have to turn around on your motherboard.
m
l
June 19, 2012 6:53:45 PM

Don't want to confuse the issue since I am not the OP, but my mobo is an Asus P5N-E SLI. I ran two 8800 GTS in SLI for about 3 years before upgrading to a single 570. You are correct, SLI connector came with the mobo, not the vid cards. I had to flip that ASUS Selector card in order to tell the mobo that I wanted to go into SLI mode, as well as attaching the SLI Connector to both cards.

Worked like a charm for years, but two 8800 don't compare to a single 570.

Suggestion to the OP : Pull off the SLI connector completely, and firmly reseat. Else pick up a new one, they seem to be very cheap.

BM.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 19, 2012 6:58:13 PM

bat123man said:
Don't want to confuse the issue since I am not the OP, but my mobo is an Asus P5N-E SLI. I ran two 8800 GTS in SLI for about 3 years before upgrading to a single 570. You are correct, SLI connector came with the mobo, not the vid cards. I had to flip that ASUS Selector card in order to tell the mobo that I wanted to go into SLI mode, as well as attaching the SLI Connector to both cards.

Worked like a charm for years, but two 8800 don't compare to a single 570.

Suggestion to the OP : Pull off the SLI connector completely, and firmly reseat. Else pick up a new one, they seem to be very cheap.

BM.

Ah. Didn't think they made any like that.
m
l
!