Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need a GOOD case for optimum cooling in 100$

Last response: in Components
December 19, 2012 12:08:27 PM

Hello,

I need some recommendations for a good case that would fit the following components in it :

Intel Core i7-950 Extreme @3.07Ghz (8MB Cache and HT-Enabled)
Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 @1600Mhz (Triple Channel)
ATI Radeon HD 5850 1 GB DDR5 Dedicated Graphic card
Intel Server Motherboard
Huntkey 600W PSU
Western Digital 1TB 7200 32MB [1*n]

My budget is around 100$ can extend to max of 120$ if there are great options available there.

And, one more thing, If I buy a new case, Will the power supply of 600W be enough or do I require to use a 700W PSU?

Thanks for your time.

Regards!
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
December 19, 2012 4:29:33 PM

The case has nothing to do with the power supply, but if you want to get a new PSU, then based upon your system that needs at least a 500W power supply, with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors, like Antec EA-500 Green 500W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for the case I´d advise you to get a case with an excellent air flow, as the X58 platform is well known to run very hot indeed.

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

a b ) Power supply
December 19, 2012 5:30:55 PM

his powersupply is junk, the haf922 is nice but too high for his budget, he needs a combo of decent power and case, witch ive suggested a nice one.

a b ) Power supply
December 19, 2012 5:51:44 PM

Here is my computer case suggestion:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I also agree with iceclock, the power supply should be changed, and that can come out from the case budget since there are plenty of cases that will perform great with lower price tags. Now if you can afford the power supply without the need to cut from the case budget, consider this case:
a b ) Power supply
December 19, 2012 6:00:09 PM

very nice fox :) 
a b ) Power supply
December 19, 2012 7:05:03 PM

iceclock said:
very nice fox :) 

Fox suggested a case for the same price of the HAF 922 I linked -- how can it be nice, if you replied to my post saying the OP´s budget doesn´t allow it? Politics?
a b ) Power supply
December 19, 2012 7:24:38 PM

jemm said:
Fox suggested a case for the same price of the HAF 922 I linked -- how can it be nice, if you replied to my post saying the OP´s budget doesn´t allow it? Politics?

I actually suggested two cases, one that was 49.99 after MIR which I suggested if the OP needs to take a cut from the power supply budget and another that is 79.99 that is if the OP can afford the power supply without taking a cut from the power supply budget. Nonetheless, the HAF 922 is a great case if the OP likes those types of cases and the price is quite nice on it. You suggested a great case as well if the OP doesn't mind spending extra for the power supply :) 
a b ) Power supply
December 19, 2012 10:25:59 PM

The tittle of this thread is "Need a GOOD case for optimum cooling in 100$"

Also the OP clearly stated that his budget for the ***case*** was $100, and he added that he´d "extend to max of 120$ if there are great options available there." The OP was talking exclusively about case until then.

Later the OP inquired about power supply, but it has never been said that the power supply should be fit into the $120 budget.

a b ) Power supply
December 19, 2012 10:37:40 PM

his current powersupply is garbage thats why we suggested a new one, huntkey is worse than raidmax.

cmon jemm u should know this ;p
a b ) Power supply
December 19, 2012 10:42:38 PM

their newer ones are starting to get better
a b ) Power supply
December 20, 2012 8:00:22 AM

Why did the moderator delete my post where I suggested the OP a power supply?
a b ) Power supply
December 20, 2012 9:41:23 AM

just try again
a b ) Power supply
December 20, 2012 12:34:36 PM

i never remember huntkey making good powersupplies got a link to a decent one?
a b ) Power supply
December 20, 2012 1:44:55 PM

yeah i dunno bribe people for good review, doesnt sound right, im gonna say huntkey is garbage.

a b ) Power supply
December 21, 2012 4:41:15 AM

jemm said:
Why did the moderator delete my post where I suggested the OP a power supply?

There are no deleted posts here, if there were I could see them. I "lose" posts all the time by thinking I hit post when I didn't. I use an addon for Firefox called Lazarus though. I never truly lose a post. Check it out.

Since I read it, I will agree. Avoid Huntkey like the plague, and read the PSU guide linked in my sig.

a b ) Power supply
December 21, 2012 8:39:02 AM

Proximon said:
There are no deleted posts here, if there were I could see them. I "lose" posts all the time by thinking I hit post when I didn't. I use an addon for Firefox called Lazarus though. I never truly lose a post. Check it out.

Since I read it, I will agree. Avoid Huntkey like the plague, and read the PSU guide linked in my sig.

Actually I was just being ironic when I wrote that, because some people in this thread insist in ignoring the fact that I did recommend the OP a better PSU -- I provided a link for my suggestion.

It is the third post in thread, but for some reason one keeps insinuating that I support Huntkey, when I recommended a PSU from Antec -- I hope I am not the only one to be able to see my post, because it is still there!

a c 111 ) Power supply
December 21, 2012 8:48:14 AM

Is there a central computers near you?
a b ) Power supply
December 21, 2012 12:35:53 PM

is that a good company to buy from?
December 22, 2012 5:18:48 AM

Hello,

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

@iceclock, Sorry, I'm kinda noob here, How does a PSU affects the system performance? You mentioned Huntkey's crap, what's the real need of a good PSU?..I didn't research this site before buying that PSU 1 month back but its been silent and doing the job well. Added that it had 5 year burn-in and full hardware warranty. I opted for Huntkey, I previously had cooler master 600w which was burnt and cooler master did NOT provide me the warranty for the same and I had 2 year warranty left..

Any more suggestions for cases would be appreciated, I want to make this one a bit permanent so, I'm looking for a good one indeed. I liked the COOLER MASTER HAF 922, thinking to buy it unless there is a need for me to upgrade my PSU

Regards!
December 22, 2012 5:45:07 AM

TheBigTroll said:
how does the case affect power consumption.

and if you are to upgrade the psu, might as well upgrade the GPU

get this case. cooling is ok but silence is high. and its built well and is on sale for a very good price

I'm assuming the extra added fans could add to the power consumption. I'm now having a normal iball case with 3 normal fans in it..

Why upgrade the GPU? I'm able to run all the HD games out there at max without overclocking too..

I'm really not sure why we should upgrade the PSU when the current PSU does the job well..
a b ) Power supply
December 22, 2012 11:27:50 AM

fans literally make no difference unless you have delta 5000rpms

the psu is bad
a b ) Power supply
December 22, 2012 11:48:12 AM

Bad quality power supplies can compromised some of your system parts, for instance, the motherboard. In some cases poor quality PSU can even explode! :(  http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-pow...

A PSU also can affect performance if it doesn´t delivery the wattage advertised -- if your system needs 500W, and a 500W PSU doesn´t delivery it, then performance issues can appear, when your system is at full load.

The thing about Huntkey´s Power Supplies is that some of them are good, but some are not, according to some reviews, as shown above in this thread.

Corsair is one of the best power supply manufacturer, but some of their PSU are made with poor components, like its 500W V2 Series, but it doesn´t make Corsair a bad company at all! :)  Likewise Huntkey is not a bad company, just because some of their products were marked below the standards, in some reviews.

I had to replaced my Corsair TX 850W, because it just stopped working! I wonder what people would think if this particularly PSU (mine that went bad) was object of a review! I guess everybody would say to avoid Corsair TX 850W ;) 

According to Anandtech, Huntkey "(...) may not be as familiar to most of our America audience (...)", but "(...) with a goal of creating a low-cost, high-efficiency PSU that doesn't sacrifice quality, we may start to hear more about HuntKey." http://www.anandtech.com/tag/huntkey

Huntkey was also accused of bride, by Gabriel Torres, from Hardware Secrets. But recently Torres has stated otherwise, saying that "there was the situation in which I accused Huntkey of trying to bribe me. That was my bad. You see, they don’t speak English very well, and I got things mixed up as we got lost in the translation. (Our entire meeting was in Chinese, with the help of our business associate who is fluent in this language.) They truly wanted to advertise on Clube do Hardware, but this had absolutely nothing to do with the bad reviews. From the way the message was written, however, I assumed otherwise. All they wanted was to talk to know me better, and to better understand my background and the future plans for the websites." http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/blog/Our-Meeting-with-Hu...

What is the exactly model of your PSU? Hopefully you have got a good one! :) 

December 22, 2012 12:00:44 PM

delluser1 said:
Could be, then again it may be OK
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Huntkey-Jumper-6...

No one bothered to ask which Huntkey 600w, just " it's Huntkey, it's junk, replace it "

I totally agree. When a person says they have a Super Flower or an FSP(e.g. AURUM) PSU, most people will assume it's generic junk when it's better than most Corsair PSUs.
December 22, 2012 1:04:29 PM

Ooooh FSP Aurum *drool*
December 22, 2012 2:25:02 PM

Best answer selected by hitme987.
a b ) Power supply
December 22, 2012 2:42:15 PM

fps and superflower is decent, it all depends what less known products ur speaking of here.

!