New graphics card no display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottoz69

Honorable
May 19, 2012
Hi,

i have recently purchased a Radeon HD 7750 based on the advice of this thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/356494-33-looking-upgrade-8500gt ( not sure why this link isnt working )

I uninstalled the nvidia drivers of my geforce 8500gt then put in the new graphics card. I turn on my computer, the fan on the card spins but thier is no signal to the monitor.

My rig is;

Intel core 2 duo 1.8ghz E4300
2 sticks of 1gb ddr2 ram
8500GT
Mobo is microstar international - MS-7255

PSU is well;

FSP Group Inc

Model- FSP300-60GTM

300W

+3.3v-14.A +5v-18a +12v-18a
+5vsb-2.0a -12v-0.8a

+3.3v&+5v=105 Max +3.3v&+5v+12v=280 Max

Monitor viewsonic vx1935wm

Not sure if this is relevant but i do have an ongoing problem with my current graphics card, i cannot install new drivers as when computer reboots to install, i get a black screen after windows logo. When i reboot it reverts back to my old drivers, so im stuck with it.( radeon hd 7750 gets no signal straight off the bat on power up )

Any help is appreciated.

Solution

It could be, no way to know unless you can try the card in another system, or try a different power supply. Trying in another system and doing a BIOS update is free though.
According to Newegg reviews, those power supplies are good models, so that should not be an issue. Try a BIOS update if you are not at the latest one, then need to try the card in a different PC, you could have an issue with your PCIe slot. It "may" be the power supply also, even good brands can have issues.

Check FSP power supplies on Newegg, all the ones I saw were 4 or 5 star rated.

The 7750 uses very little power, it will run on a PSU under 300, as long as it's working properly. I doubt this system will go over 130 watts total usage.

While we are at the system level here, upgrading that CPU to a 2.33 gig or over may be a good idea for games.

Scottoz69

Honorable
May 19, 2012
The guy in the other thread i linked said it could run on 300W and that i had enough amps on 12v rail to run it. Would a bad power supply causeno signal to a monitor?

Their are no shops located near me that still sell intel core 2 duo cpus, i could get one off ebay, but im not having the best of luck doing these installations myself so thats not an option.

It would spin up in most cases of a bad video card. The only time it would not is if the fan was bad or the controller for it was bad.

BIOS update, read the manual to the motherboard or PC, many of them have a Windows based utility to flash the BIOS. Instructions would be in the same place you download it.

Scottoz69

Honorable
May 19, 2012
The motherboards utility said i have the latest bios version. This only leaves testing the graphics card in a new computer, which isnt possible as i dont have another computer. I will try and get a replacement for this card and see if i encounter the same problem.

Thank you for ur help, before i close this topic.. do you know why i would be having issues with black screen after windows logo when trying to install the latest drivers for my 8500GT?

When the 7750 didnt work i put my old card back in but system restore wouldnt bring back my drivers....after hours of mucking around with it i finally found the option to install the driver for the 8500gt, but at a previous version...only going back to the earliest date can i get it working, others leave my screen grey...or just completely black. This wouldnt be a problem for me but i am noticing a game i play to be worse in performance with the oldest drivers.

G

BACK TO SCHOOL WITH YOU!
Corsair does not actually manufacture their PSUs. They are made by Seasonic and ChannelWell. Some of the oh so recommended Antec PSUs are made by FSP. FSP is a big frickin' OEM manufacturer. My Thermaltake PSU is made by FSP. They are NOT no-name and their PSUs are solid performers.

No video card will fail to work because a system did not have enough RAM, I don't even know why they list that. Maybe to avoid people complaining because the system was slower than they though.

The 7750 also have a very low power draw, any decent 300 watt or even less power supply can run it.

Boomer83

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012

Yeah I've never even seen a memory requirement for graphics cards. I've also never used AMD, so I figured they had some specific rules. But I wouldn't be so fast to return that card. Definitely try to test it elsewhere first, you must know someone with a capable build?

Status
Not open for further replies.