Tags:
  • Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 5, 2012 1:57:18 AM

Hi all,

I used to build a long time ago; but have been out of the game for awhile and have no idea what is compatible with what or what is good at all. I have been using a hand me down low end gaming machine for the past 5 years and it's finally hit it's last leg (Crashes trying to play D3 and almost anything else is just too much. I can play WoW on low settings; but that doesn't say much).

I am looking to put together a rig hopefully by the beginning to middle of October this year. I am looking to do gaming mostly, listen to music (I have a large collection), and surf around YouTube and the likes. My budget is going to be approximately $650. The games I play / plan on playing are WoW, Diablo III, Borderlands 1 & 2, Arma II Day Z, and will probably get talked into Skyrim and MW3 eventually. I have a Western Digital WD1001FALS 7200 RPM 1TB drive I can move over, I have Windows 7, and an Acer x223w monitor that supports 1680x1050 @ 60 HZ; short of that I would like to just go fresh on everything else, including the case. I don't need a Blu-Ray drive unless the cost would be stupid not to buy one; I still burn CDs and DVDs so I would like a combo drive.

As far as the case; something simple would be good. If at all possible, I've always wanted an LCD info panel on the front of the computer that tells cpu temp/percentage, network up/down, and others. If it can't be done within my price range; that is fine. Also, my house is not air conditioned in the summer and often runs about 85F inside; so I may need some extra fans?

Do they still make TV Tuner card options? Way back in the day I had a Radeon 9800 Pro with a built in tuner to where I could watch live TV on my computer and record as well. If that option still exists and isn't too pricey; I would like to include that. I have a DVR; but not TV in my room and I'd like to watch football while I'm on the computer if possible. If not within my budget; just a link to the part so I can maybe upgrade later would be great.

Also, good or bad to buy a part a paycheck over the course of a couple months now a days?

Thanks in advance for your help. It's really getting frustrating not being able to play hardly anything.

More about : gaming build 650 700

a c 288 4 Gaming
August 5, 2012 2:14:58 AM

Quote:
Do they still make TV Tuner card options? Way back in the day I had a Radeon 9800 Pro with a built in tuner to where I could watch live TV on my computer and record as well. If that option still exists and isn't too pricey; I would like to include that. I have a DVR; but not TV in my room and I'd like to watch football while I'm on the computer if possible. If not within my budget; just a link to the part so I can maybe upgrade later would be great.

Not needed - everything is pretty much done over wifi now. Even if you have DirecTV with their football package you can watch that streaming from your computer.

Quote:
As far as the case; something simple would be good. If at all possible, I've always wanted an LCD info panel on the front of the computer that tells cpu temp/percentage, network up/down, and others. If it can't be done within my price range; that is fine. Also, my house is not air conditioned in the summer and often runs about 85F inside; so I may need some extra fans?

I've had an Apevia Xplorer with an LCD thermometer on the front - that thing was a piece of crap. One of the worst cases I've ever had. I have a HAF 912 now and it's so much better. You'll get far more accurate temperature readings from the BIOS than you will with an expensive gimmick like that.

Quote:
I am looking to put together a rig hopefully by the beginning to middle of October this year. I am looking to do gaming mostly, listen to music (I have a large collection), and surf around YouTube and the likes. My budget is going to be approximately $650. The games I play / plan on playing are WoW, Diablo III, Borderlands 1 & 2, Arma II Day Z, and will probably get talked into Skyrim and MW3 eventually. I have a Western Digital WD1001FALS 7200 RPM 1TB drive I can move over, I have Windows 7, and an Acer x223w monitor that supports 1680x1050 @ 60 HZ; short of that I would like to just go fresh on everything else, including the case. I don't need a Blu-Ray drive unless the cost would be stupid not to buy one; I still burn CDs and DVDs so I would like a combo drive.
\

You can definitely reuse your existing hard drive, OS license, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. With that in mind try something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card ($164.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 600W ATX12V Power Supply ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $648.91
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-04 22:15 EDT-0400)
m
l
!