2011 Imac CPU upgrade

drjack6

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
I want to upgrade my 2011 Imac from i7-2600K to i7-2700K.
I have found a couple of success stories that said it was easy installation and Lion booted right up.
However, I still run Snow Leopard and do not want Lion.
Will that change anything or will it still boot up no hassles?

Also, I run Server 2008r2 on Boot Camp.
Will that boot up no hassle?

No "Why would you want to" comments.
I upgraded my Apple HDD to a OWC Mercury Extreme SSD.
I also upgraded my 16gb ram to OWC 32gb ram.
Might as well finish the job...

Upgrading from the Intel® Core™ i7-2600K to the Intel Core i7-2700K should be a very simply drop in change that shouldnt make a difference on the the OS at all. These two processors are the same except for the fact that the Intel Core i7-2700K has a multipler of 35 over the 34. Now all of this is based on my experience with a Windows based system; but since you state that there are others that have done this change before without an issue it should present no problems. Just make sure that you have some new thermal paste on hand when you make this change.

drjack6

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

Makes sense except people who tried this upgrade with Mountain Lion all said the sytem wouldn't boot, they reverted back to lion and the system booted.. 3 cases like that. Just don't want that to happen to me with snow leopard. I don't want to go inside this thing more than once.

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

What's the point of it anyway? What exactly are you trying to achieve here, a paltry 100MHz speed bump?!!
Quite frankly speaking, that's the most stupid thing i've heard of in a really long time. You're gonna rip your mac open, void its warranty, then buy a new i7-2700K and try to fix it all back together again for just a 2.9% increase in speed?!! :whistle:

drjack6

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

No, I would not do all this for that much increase. I will already be inside installing an SSD so I want to replace the CPU while I'm already going to be inside it.

fdtest61

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

I have a late 2011 IMac which I upgraded to 16 gigs of ram and an Intel Core i7 2700K processor with a Samsung 512 830 SSD but every time I try to install Mountain Lion my imac keeps rebooting and suggestions?

drjack6

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
The upgrade was successful a while ago. However, you can not boot mountain lion with 2700K. The Boot files in mountain lion do not support that cpu. You have to stay with lion for now and no, we dont know how to edit the boot file to fit that need yet...
Glad to hear your install went well though!

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
It's the Apple mobo's that cause the processors not to work properly. Apple changes the design on their motherboards every quarter practically. Each iteration is somewhat different from the last, each "logic board" is tuned for the hardware it is going to receive. They don't release bios updates with new processor support. Each bios update is specific to the model you own. Apple doesn't want you messing with their design, or should I say Foxcon's design.
Anyway, I wouldn't mess with the processor, like they say above the 1% speed increase isn't worth the potential static shock that would cost you 500+ dollars to fix if the motherboard goes bad. The SSD and Ram upgrade is a goo choice, just leave the CPU alone.