preventing applications stealing focus

Is there any way to control whether or not applications can steal focus?

For example I find it most annoying when I'm navigating the start menu
and some program that decided it wanted to get focus and I lose the
start menu. Same happens if I'm renaming a file. Suddenly the file gets
it's name changed to half of the text I was trying to enter to name it. I
just find myself shouting at the mo??erfu??er of a program that did it.

I hope this will at least be possible in Longhorn.

d d wrote:
> Is there any way to control whether or not applications can steal
> focus?
> For example I find it most annoying when I'm navigating the start menu
> and some program that decided it wanted to get focus and I lose the
> start menu. Same happens if I'm renaming a file. Suddenly the file
> gets it's name changed to half of the text I was trying to enter to
> name it. I just find myself shouting at the mo??erfu??er of a program
> that did it.
> I hope this will at least be possible in Longhorn.

Surprises me you knew the terminology but could not find the answer....
Prevent Programs from Stealing Focus (Line 66)

Afraid to use a VBS (Don't be, Kelly rules!) - then you can do the same with
TweakUI..
Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP:

Also, check this out..
Programs May Start, Quit, Lose, and Gain Focus Randomly:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313176

--
--
The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you

Thanks Shenan, I've installed that Line66 focus-stealing preventer, I'll
see if it helps after a reboot (it doesn't without a reboot).

~ d d