250ohms Headset for Gaming

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Hello.

Im purchasing a new motherboard with Creative SoundCore 3D quad-core sound that supports up to 250 Ohm headsets. Use is for gaming. Which would be a good headset to use with this? Budget $100-200. Thanks.

spaceace1014

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

I think you might be throwing everyone off with the Ohm specification. It will drive anything but something with a really high Ohm rating will just be very quiet. Its not a big problem in that price range though you'd have to try really hard to get something that hard to drive. Many of the headsets out there are USB anyway so that renders this all moot if you choose one that is. I've played with a bunch of headsets before but I've never really been happy with any of them. They always sound tinny to my ear. The Logitech G35 was pretty decent and I hear some of the turtle beach stuff is pretty good personally and I know you asked about headsets but this is what I do and It sounds much better I would get an Audio Technica ATH-M50 (that one specifically since its amazing for its price) and I would grab a Logitech desktop mic... any desktop mic really or if you had to have a setup that was attached to you then a shure lavaliere mic.

The M50's are 38 ohms by the way so they will get plenty loud.

I hope this helps

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Thanks for reply. I was looking for a headset with 3d directional sound. It helps alot in online multiplayer FPS. The Audio Technica ATH-M50 look more for music/movies. Correct me if im wrong. Thanks.

spaceace1014

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
You're quite correct about the ATH-M50's they are just 2.0

I thought the Logitech G35's were decent for their Faux surround abilities but I found that they got hot pretty quickly and weren't as clear as my headphones. I hear that the razer megalodon's are of similar quality and you may wish to check out Tritton and Turtle beach.

I wish I could be of more help on the headsets but I've only ever owned a couple pairs and I was never head over heels for either of them.