Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Small vertical bars in video display

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 14, 2012 3:26:12 PM

I recently started getting what look like little bar-codes all over my desktop and around text and cursors. The quantity grows over time and clears with a system reboot. My vid-card is an ATI Radeon 9500 with up to date drivers on a Win7 home built PC. Any ideas on the source of these lines?

Best solution

June 14, 2012 3:37:49 PM

These are called artifacts. They occur when the GPU is malfunctioning. My suggestion would be to check temperatures because it could be overheating. If it's not overheating then it is probably just dying. If it's overheating than you might have a stuck fan or you fan speeds aren't high enough.
June 21, 2012 3:24:12 PM

Thanks for the response. I believe you are correct. The fan is not turning so the GPU is certainly running hot.
June 24, 2012 3:07:23 AM

Best answer selected by bblakes.