Problem possibly with gtx 580 superclocked card

stickerhed

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
I'm hoping someone can help me. I built this system in Dec. 2010 and it has been working great until about 2 weeks ago. In the middle of playing a game, I would lose video. It would say "no dvi signal". The computer would keep running but no matter what I did, no video. I would reboot, and it would work for a while then the same problem. So, I opened the case and used compressed air to gently remove any dust/obstructions from the fan filters. I also checked to make sure the GPU was seated properly. Everything looked ok, except there was quite a bit of dust. The computer worked good for a week or so and now I can be playing a game and I get the BSOD and it reboots right away. One time the video froze and the computer just made a buzzing sound for a couple of seconds. It did not sound like a hard drive. I then rebooted and it was fine again for a short time. So I opened the case and removed and inspected the graphics card and installed it in a different slot, but I get the same results. Can anyone help me pinpoint what is going on? As I said, it has worked perfeclty for over a year and a half.

COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1
ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58
Intel® Core™ i7-970 Processor
Patriot Viper Xtreme 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Superclocked
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V
Logitech G510 Black USB Wired Gaming Keyboard

thanks,

Doug

I had a bad video card once that did this very thing. It would give me black screens, BSODs and reboots. I'm guessing something is wrong with the way it is using power. It reboots while you're gaming because it's drawing more power as it is doing more work at that time.

In my case, it was right after I bought it, so I just took it back to Microcenter for an exchange. That completely fixed the problem.

If you're the original owner and you didn't buy a refurb, your card is still under warranty. I'd contact EVGA and start the RMA process.

stickerhed

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
A simple change in the Nvidia drivers can fix this sometimes.

Change the power management to prefer maximum performance.

I have the latest Nvidia driver, but there isn't an option for power management that I could find. It did the same thing last night again, so I removed the sound card (now just use the on board hd audio) and increased the cpu fan speed. This seemed to work as I was able to play without reproducing the problem. I am using the stock cooler for the cpu, so I guess I'm looking for a good aftermarket cpu cooler, any suggestions? I've never been down that road before. Thanks for your help, and if you can point me in the right direction to find the power management in the Nividia driver, I will try that also, but I looked at every tab and option possible and it just wasn't there.

Doug