Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Newish intel build freezing (2 months old~)

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 5, 2012 4:43:20 AM

First off (Don't think I am going to bail in two days and never read this again) I have been lurking for a few years daily on toms, mainly reading the news posts etc.) The plus side to me registering is I can now comment on those.

I recently upgraded my old set up

Athlon II x4 640 @ 3ghz
4gb ripjawd 1333
MSI MB
Seasonic S12II 620W
Radeon 6870
Two cd drives
Vertex 2 SSD 60gb
To this

3570k @ 4ghz (until it went on on the frits, it now resides at 3.4 ghz)
8gb G.Skill 1600 sniper
BIOSTAR tz77b MB
Seasonic s12II (same one as old build)
Radeon 6870 (same as old build also)
No cd drives due to no IDE on MB, and have no use for one now.
Vertex 2 SSD 60GB (same as old build)

Using my same case for both.

Basically, I built it a few months ago (have built a handful of them), changed the multiplier to 40, had it set at 4ghz for a while @ stock 1.2v.

Upon installing the Heatsink (COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520) I broke the head of a bolt off (it was paper thin). So I had it clamped down with 3 bolts for a while, well when it randomly began freezing (not shutting off) I suspected it was due to heat and may of very well been. However I would think it would just shut off, anyways I ordered new parts to secure it properly, took the heat sink off and reinstalled everything with new paste (AS5).

Upon restarting and after some use it froze again. I have gotten a single BSOD during this, something a long the lines of "A clock interrupt was not received on the secondary processor".

I came back to it later and reinstalled windows as I have my SSD for a boot drive and installing windows takes about 10 minutes. That was yesterday. I suspected software issues however it does it even before windows finishes starting.

I played on it for about 11 hours straight today and then it froze while I was away for 15 minutes.

As it sits right now, it gets past POST, then freezes right after (there is no suspect beep code), and freezes at the "windows is starting" screen (before the logo appears), freezes at the screen where windows attempts to find out why it won't boot.

Issue was RAM

More about : newish intel build freezing months

August 5, 2012 5:07:55 AM

does the mouse freeze up when it locks down if so it may be processor, ram, or mobo, if the mouse still moves it most likely is SSD

try booting with a HDD your SSD might be on it's way out.

Alternatively try running a system diag, run chkdisk and memtest.

report back with results so we can associate symptoms with final diagnosis. we all want to learn. thank you.

m
l
August 5, 2012 6:13:44 AM

lourendo said:
does the mouse freeze up when it locks down if so it may be processor, ram, or mobo, if the mouse still moves it most likely is SSD

try booting with a HDD your SSD might be on it's way out.

Alternatively try running a system diag, run chkdisk and memtest.

report back with results so we can associate symptoms with final diagnosis. we all want to learn. thank you.

First off, thank you for jarring my mind to try my other HDD, I took a working WD blue out of my laptop and attempted to boot, froze on the windows is starting screen (the logo did not even appear again).

My mouse also freezes, I am attempting to run memtest at book, however now it's being stubborn and I can't even get the BIOS to load fully to change the boot device.

OK, after five tries I got it to boot so I can run memtest..... OK if it don't freeze on the memtest screen.

OK, no go on memtest, it freezes anywhere from before it says hit f1 for fail safe, to right after it.

I also took each memory module out, and tried them by themselves to narrow it down, still froze. I believe it is down to the MB, or the processor at this point.

This is how it current sits, The only items hooked up and working are...
Power supply
CPU
CPU fans/exhaust fan
1 memory module
Motherboard
Power buttons/HDD lights

Everything else is disconnected.

If this happens to be the motherboard (and I myself can't fix it) I am going to have a small rage I was iffy on biostar in the first place.
m
l
Related resources
August 5, 2012 6:32:45 AM

agreed, try swapping the ram with one stick and see if it boots, the chances of two bad sticks is pretty rare but not imposible. try underclocking your cpu, if this boots then it may be ram, at least at that point you can run a cpu diagnostic if it boots. mobo could be the issue if all else fails.
m
l
August 5, 2012 6:35:35 AM

bombebomb said:

I also took each memory module out, and tried them by themselves to narrow it down, still froze. I believe it is down to the MB, or the processor at this point.

just saw that. forget the swapping of dimms. you can still try underclocking but it seems further like a bad mobo. cpu could still be the culprit.

Although, not being able to enter bios indicates more that it is a bad mobo. try resetting the cmos nd see if that does anything.
m
l
August 5, 2012 6:43:17 AM

lourendo said:
just saw that. forget the swapping of dimms. you can still try underclocking but it seems further like a bad mobo. cpu could still be the culprit.

Just set the CPU @ 1.5ghz, forgot I still had my USB in for boot so memtest is now running. I will let it finish for piece of mind, then report back.

In short: CPU @ 1.5ghz, not frozen yet
m
l
August 5, 2012 6:47:29 AM

make sure your PCH voltage is adequate, sandy bridges can be finnicky on that. some find they need to set it to 1.1 from 1.05 or even more (but be extremely careful above 1.4), to get a stable cpu, reset bios to default to attempt stable operation.
m
l
August 5, 2012 7:11:51 AM

lourendo said:
make sure your PCH voltage is adequate, sandy bridges can be finnicky on that. some find they need to set it to 1.1 from 1.05 or even more (but be extremely careful above 1.4), to get a stable cpu, reset bios to default to attempt stable operation.

Decided to stop the memtest to save time.

I bumped PCH from "auto" to +5% (what it is in this bios). It has not frozen yet, I may bump it down to 1.05 (as that is my other option besides +5/10/15%.

Also, I think it was just a typo, but just in case, I am running Ivy Bridge, and not Sandy.

Just tried it at 4ghz and it froze again. So, don't believe PCH was the issue, unless it needs raised even higher for overclocking.

EDIT: Has frozen again at the bumped voltage
m
l
August 5, 2012 7:16:58 AM

so you got it to boot at full Mhz with pch adjustment?
m
l
August 5, 2012 7:22:19 AM

lourendo said:
so you got it to boot at full Mhz with pch adjustment?

Yes, it booted with the adjustment at its stock 3.4ghz.

EDIT: it won't boot again, stroke of luck last time.
m
l
August 5, 2012 7:36:32 AM

i need to head to bed now. keep trying with voltage adjustments. ivybridge cpus can have trouble on auto settings. set all the settings manually and keep trying. it sounds like a cpu setting issue. if no luck at all, it would seem like we are at square one. either physical cpu issue or physical motherboard issue. this is disappointing, i will check back in the am to help more.
m
l
August 5, 2012 7:55:06 AM

I am off to bed also. Will return tomorrow morning.
m
l
August 5, 2012 8:14:00 AM

It sounds like you're running the memory too fast for the board. I would try clearing CMOS and/or reset Bios to default settings first. Then set your Memory frequency to run slower than it's rated speed.

Worth a try.

m
l
August 5, 2012 8:27:56 AM

spacejunk said:
It sounds like you're running the memory too fast for the board. I would try clearing CMOS and/or reset Bios to default settings first. Then set your Memory frequency to run slower than it's rated speed.

Worth a try.

Not ruling this out, as far as the mhz goes, the board can handle 1600 without OC. I believe the timings are stock setting.

Also, keep in mind this ran for two months OC'ed @ 4ghz without a hitch, I suppose the board could of degraded or something. None the less this thread has been a lot of help so far.
m
l
August 5, 2012 8:37:47 AM

bombebomb said:
Not ruling this out, as far as the mhz goes, the board can handle 1600 without OC. I believe the timings are stock setting.

Also, keep in mind this ran for two months OC'ed @ 4ghz without a hitch, I suppose the board could of degraded or something. None the less this thread has been a lot of help so far.

Yeah, that is indeed odd.

The only reason i mentioned that is, i have seen the exact same symptoms before which was a result of memory speed. Possibly not the issue here, but nothing to loose by trying it i guess.

Hope you get it sorted out soon, all the best.

m
l
August 5, 2012 11:57:35 PM

Did memtest while I was sleeping, it passed with no errors.

Now I can't even get it to boot at 1.5ghz with nothing changed from default besides the multiplier. I got woken up on 3 hours of sleep so I will mess with it again tomorrow.

I briefly touched my memory timings however I have never done it before so I was a bit iffy and am at this moment too tired to read.

I made all my timings slower though and that did not seem to effect it any.

EDIT: Default reverts my HDD to IDE instead of AHCI, believe that is what caused this particular issue. (lack of sleep made me forget I figure)

Now back on track to what we was doing. Runs ok under clocked.

My ram timings at default were listed as 11, 11, 11, 28 (way slower than the 9,9,9, 24 spec).

I am asking around for people who may have a compatible motherboard.
m
l
August 6, 2012 4:05:08 AM

this is so bizarre. my only suggestion now is to either try a friends known working motherboard or a known working cpu.
m
l
August 6, 2012 11:49:17 AM

lourendo said:
this is so bizarre. my only suggestion now is to either try a friends known working motherboard or a known working cpu.

EDIT: Default reverts my HDD to IDE instead of AHCI, believe that is what caused this particular issue. (lack of sleep made me forget I figure)

Now back on track to what we was doing. Runs ok under clocked.

My ram timings at default were listed as 11, 11, 11, 28 (way slower than the 9,9,9, 24 spec). I also tried them at 13, 13,13,29

I am asking around for people who may have a compatible motherboard.

Tried different ram, and power supply. My options are dwindling.

Is the PCIe 6+2 pin the same as the 4+4 CPU power pins? I am running out of ideas before sending parts out, if the pins are the same, I am going to plug the 6+2 into my CPU power and see if we can get anywhere.

Also on a small note, the LCD screen on the motherboard still changes temps when it is frozen, no clue if that helps us though.
m
l
August 6, 2012 7:03:16 PM

I am pretty sure my IGP just took a dump also. It was working fine, then I try to reboot and I get 8 short beeps (no GPU or something is what it means), nothing on screen either. I throw my 6870 in I can now see the screen again + no beeps.

RMAing the CPU, if that does not solve it, RMA the MB. Ill update you all.
m
l
August 16, 2012 2:17:21 AM

CPU is back, I have not got to try it yet though. Will update later this week.
m
l
August 23, 2012 12:03:48 AM

Tried CPU.... it was fine, sent motherboard out.
m
l
September 1, 2012 7:52:24 PM

Motherboard is on it's way back, says it will arrive Friday. (just letting you guys know that I never vanished). Biostar did not give any info.
m
l

Best solution

September 2, 2012 12:23:50 AM

Thanks for keeping us up to date with this problem. Let's hope they actually tell you what was wrong with the board.

Though i am almost certain it is a memory discrepancy.
September 14, 2012 3:26:23 AM

Best answer selected by bombebomb.
m
l
September 14, 2012 3:27:46 AM

Turns out it was the RAM, got the new board the other day as I said. Installed it today, and the same thing happened. I tried a dirt cheap set of DDR3 I had recently acquired and all is well.

I think it is specifically giving this board issues, it ran fine on my MSI AM3 board (even after it gave me issues here).

So there we have it, memory that use to work with the board, breaks, yet still works fine with other boards. Computers will never stop being difficult, maybe that is why we all enjoy them!

Thanks everyone for your help!
m
l
!