Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dell Studio 540 alive 1 min dead the next

Last response: in CPUs
December 19, 2012 4:13:54 PM

Hello all i have a 3.5 year old Dell Studio 540 as described in the title and it wont power on At ALL. when i plug it in only thing that happens in the light on the back of the power supply comes one. when i press the power button NOTHING happens; no fans no lights no beeps nothing.

Everything is stock except:
a nvidea 8200gs GPU
and cavier black 1TB HDD

This what happened..

my computer was on as it usually is (i pretty much leave it on always). i sprayed it down with canned air while it was on. then shut it down removed all the wires (pulled power cable from back of PSU) and sprayed it down again. i plugged another computer that i'm working on in it's place (plugged power cable to back of PSU) connect mouse and keyboard. i powered it down 1 more time and replace my Studio. i plugged the power cable then the mouse and keyboard and hit the power button. it booted up fine and got some files of and unplugged everything again. basically repeating what i did with the other computer. i went to hook my Studio up the second time as i did the first time; plugged the power cable into the PSU and hit power button. NOTHING happened, so i'm a bit disturbed as to what happened in the 2 mins i had it disconnected.

i didn't touch any components on the inside. all i did was spray it down with canned air a few times. i dont notice any weird smell that i can recognize. i do see a weird residue on an inductor i can see through the back of the PSU fan. obviously i'm praying its the PSU but i'm also optimistic that the power button has just malfunctioned.

I'm going to strip the computer down and check everything wire connection and every component and see if i can find anything. i have read lots of info about this PC just dying, but it was more of a come to turn it on 1 day and its dead not i'ma alive now i'm dead kinda thing.

any suggestion of any kinda wold be greatly appreciated
December 19, 2012 5:01:47 PM

Sometimes a vapor can come out of the can, and it's usually 'liquidy'. Maybe you got some type of moisture on the motherboard when you sprayed it?
m
l
December 19, 2012 5:17:03 PM

that actually may have happened. does it mean the mobo is done for?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 19, 2012 6:02:33 PM

also the reason i sprayed it was because i was hearing a weird sound in one of the fans. i wasn't sure which fan it was but i heard it started to scrape a little bit... i'm hoping its the PSu so i'm going to go get one real quick and see and hope and pray that's all it is.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 19, 2012 6:18:57 PM

If it was actually a short caused by moisture there is a variety of components that could have gone, check your PSU first but that will be best case scenario if it is all that is broken.
December 19, 2012 6:23:22 PM

If the moisture/vapor did end up on the motherboard, there is a very good chance that it caused a short (ie- killed it).

That's why you should never shake those dust cans! Personally, I never use them. Just a vacuum cleaner brush attachment and being careful!
m
l
December 19, 2012 7:13:43 PM

the can actually has a big sign on it that says safe for electronics. this is horrible. well i'm on my way to go pikc of a PSU. i guess i needed to upgrade soon or later anyway. i see a Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-430CXV2 430W for a decent price, i'll let you know how it goes
m
l
December 20, 2012 2:09:35 AM

ended up being the PSU, there was a yellowish brown residue all over an inductor inside of it, either from age or maybe the cold moisture from the canned air against the heat in the PSU cause some kinda reaction.

Thanks for any suggestions, I'm just glad it's working again
m
l
!